Samsung to release 21:9 34" 100hz HDR Freesync monitor *UPDATE*

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not exactly 21:10, but better than 21:9!

No tilt or pivot and no VESA mount?! Damnit Acer!

It's the same foot as on XR342CK. So it does have tilt and 100x100 VESA mount holes. Pivot is a bit insane on an almost 38" ultra wide monitor :D But is doable on a VESA arm.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

It's the same foot as on XR342CK. So it does have tilt and 100x100 VESA mount holes. Pivot is a bit insane on an almost 38" ultra wide monitor :D But is doable on a VESA arm.

When analyzing/debugging a single algorithm, height matters much more than width. The more scrolling you do, the more you forget with every pass (scientifically proven).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

When analyzing/debugging a single algorithm, height matters much more than width. The more scrolling you do, the more you forget with every pass (scientifically proven).

Sure, but at this size you almost need to move your head up and down to even see the full screen. Either way a 100hz improves readability when scrolling. But you can with that monitor. The Samsung one in this thread has a vesa mount too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I wonder if there is, hope against hope, a 29" mointor with the same (or at least similar) specifications. I am one of the apparent few who is not a particularly big fan of large screens.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

"but it is resolution is too low"? xD 

/s I have to think about it sometimes too or I'd mess it up a lot...

Reveal hidden contents

photo+2.PNG

Eh, it's the Internet, it's not like anything is going to come back and haunt me... :P

OMFG... I cannot believe this... that stand... c'mon Samsung...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

14 hours ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

*cough cough* acer predetor x34 *cough cough*

There aren't too many companies that make ultra wide..

Lemme list them all and tell me if I missed one 

Asus

Dell

Acer

Samsung

LG

and there is only THREE companies or so that make the vast majority of all LCD based and even OLED based panels.

Samsung is the biggest panel maker of all.

3 hours ago, Notional said:

Don't worry as long as it's 45-50hz min. you're good. Due to LFC, freesync will work down to like 10hz, which is already way past what's usable in gaming anyways. If you wanna get nerdy, you can read how LFC works like Gsync here:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Improves-FreeSync-and-Frame-Pacing-Support

I'd rather not have to rely on LFC when it should be possible for them to provide a range down to 40hz at least. LFC is good for when it is needed, but preferably, it shouldn't be

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Sleeping on a couch might be worth it. How will 1440 HDR compare to current 4K? Or is this up to games to support?

30 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

I'd rather not have to rely on LFC when it should be possible for them to provide a range down to 40hz at least. LFC is good for when it is needed, but preferably, it shouldn't be

Yeah I agree. But as long as there isn't any practical difference, I can live with it.

This better be true 10bit panel not 8bit+FRC and have at least 90% of DCI-P3 coverage but seeing how this is a consumer oriented model will reserve my judgment until it's out

6 minutes ago, ShiftyFella said:

This better be true 10bit panel not 8bit+FRC and have at least 90% of DCI-P3 coverage but seeing how this is a consumer oriented model will reserve my judgment until it's out

The newest Samsung Quantum Dot tv's are about 93% DCI-P3, so there might a hope there. These "SUHD" tv's are 10 bit, but idk. if they are VA panels or PVA panels.

The newest Samsung Quantum Dot tv's are about 93% DCI-P3, so there might a hope there. These "SUHD" tv's are 10 bit, but idk. if they are VA panels or PVA panels.

The high end ones are good and true HDR10 panels but I'm worried that HDR with this monitor is nothing but marketing gimmick. Otherwise it will cost same or probably more then U32D970Q monitor that they already have. Sort of like they do with KU line that is advertised as HDR with UHD dimming but in fact entire KU line is not real HDR TVs, cause panels don't match required certification from UHD Alliance or what defined in HDR10 standard. Basically all panels are just 8-bit panels with very limited FALD and without any wide-gamut support

8 minutes ago, ShiftyFella said:

The high end ones are good and true HDR10 panels but I'm worried that HDR with this monitor is nothing but marketing gimmick. Otherwise it will cost same or probably more then U32D970Q monitor that they already have. Sort of like they do with KU line that is advertised as HDR with UHD dimming but in fact entire KU line is not real HDR TVs, cause panels don't match required certification from UHD Alliance or what defined in HDR10 standard. Basically all panels are just 8-bit panels with very limited FALD and without any wide-gamut support

Sadly there is very little information on the panel itself. I guess we will have to wait until close to it's launch or until it's in the stores. Can't wait for the professional reviews (if we will see any). I'm very interested in HDR as a thing (especially Rec.2020 tv's/monitors sometime in the future), but really I'm mostly interested in some competition. These monitors are too expensive, with the Asus Rog going full retard.

14 minutes ago, Notional said:

Sadly there is very little information on the panel itself. I guess we will have to wait until close to it's launch or until it's in the stores. Can't wait for the professional reviews (if we will see any). I'm very interested in HDR as a thing (especially Rec.2020 tv's/monitors sometime in the future), but really I'm mostly interested in some competition. These monitors are too expensive, with the Asus Rog going full retard.

Agree, I want something where you don't have to choose between going for slow pro monitor with great color accuracy, panel uniformity, wide-gamut support and poor contrast ratio vs kinda fast not that good ips panel with adaptive fps support for same price or much cheaper and faster tn panel. 

I don't think we will see full Rec.2020 support in next few years at least but having more 4k\hevc HDR content is good thing, as consumer tech been stuck on rec.709 for way too long, considering good old film had huge color gamut and digital cameras almost 10 years ago had enough dynamic range to cover alot more then DCI-P3 that been available in commercial cinemas for quite some time.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

and there is only THREE companies or so that make the vast majority of all LCD based and even OLED based panels.

Samsung is the biggest panel maker of all.

Uh, Sony, hands down.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

28 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Uh, Sony, hands down.

actually, we were both wrong according to these two articles:

http://businesstech.co.za/news/hardware/33185/who-is-the-worlds-largest-display-maker/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Display

Samsung’s $230 billion market capitalization is more than six times the combined value of Japan’s top three TV makers -Sony, Sharp and Panasonic Corp.

Whilst equity doesnt mean shipped units. At that magnitude, it is CLEAR that sony isnt even in the same ballpark as Samsung.

Also, second time in 2016 you were wrong patrick.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Yeah LG is by far the biggest. Just think of the monitors. Most of them are LG panels. TV's can't count pc panels (if you include laptops panels, etc).

42 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yeah LG is by far the biggest. Just think of the monitors. Most of them are LG panels. TV's can't count pc panels (if you include laptops panels, etc).

i was talking about panels.

LG sells a lot of monitors, but OEMs like Dell, ASUS, ACER doesnt actually make the LCD panel themselves. They buy from Samsung/LG/Sharp/Sony/Toshiba.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

LG sells a lot of monitors, but OEMs like Dell, ASUS, ACER doesnt actually make the LCD panel themselves. They buy from Samsung/LG/Sharp/Sony/Toshiba.

Which is weird when you think about it.  You'd think monitors from companies who actually make the panel, or RAM/SSDs from companies who actually make the chips (well that one is generally true), etc. would be better and/or cheaper than the product from another company who has to pay markup to the maker and then repackage it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Hence why I wrote LG panels. Are you drunk on hjemmebrent again? :P

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which is weird when you think about it.  You'd think monitors from companies who actually make the panel, or RAM/SSDs from companies who actually make the chips (well that one is generally true), etc. would be better and/or cheaper than the product from another company who has to pay markup to the maker and then repackage it.

RAM is made by 4-5 big manufacturers.

Micron, Samsung, SK Hynix, Elpida and one more i cannot remember.

Most RAM makers doesnt make the chips.

Crucial = "Microns house brand"

KLEVV = SK Hynix's "house brand"

Kingston source both Samsung and Hynix.

Corsair i dont know.

G.Skill uses Hynix and Samsung. Mostly Hynix.

Team uses whatever.

As for SSD FLASH and controllers. its made by 4-5 companies

Samsung

Sandisk

Toshiba

Intel/Micron

Everyone else uses Flash and controllers from these sources

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

Hence why I wrote LG panels. Are you drunk on hjemmebrent again? :P

there is more TVs sold then you can imagine. Mostly because people break them all the time by throwing console controllers at it.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

there is more TVs sold then you can imagine. Mostly because people break them all the time by throwing console controllers at it.

And how do you think the laptop market look? People upgrade their pc's far more than their tv's.