ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Overclock

TootY

Hi all,

I recently purchased the GTX 1080 ASUS Strix, the default 1080 version not the OC version. It's the 8+6 pin like the OC edition. What I'd like to know, if anyone has one or if someone could help me OC the card?

CPU: Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz  | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero  GPU: EVGA XC Ultra Geforce RTX 2080Ti RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridantZ DDR4 3600MHz

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 2TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Case: Phantek Eclipse P600S Glass White | Monitor2X LG 27UD68P Ultra HD 4K IPS

34 minutes ago, AJLedbetter123 said:

Hi all,

I recently purchased the GTX 1080 ASUS Strix, the default 1080 version not the OC version. It's the 8+6 pin like the OC edition. What I'd like to know, if anyone has one or if someone could help me OC the card?

They are the same cards but one comes factory overclocked

Oh? So can you overclock the game the same way ie Game Mode, OC Mode?

Thanks

CPU: Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz  | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero  GPU: EVGA XC Ultra Geforce RTX 2080Ti RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridantZ DDR4 3600MHz

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 2TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

So does the card have the same OC capabilities? 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same question... i have asus gtx 1080 strix (not oc version) can i overclock it like OC version in OC mode and how?

3 hours ago, jodzapg said:

I have the same question... i have asus gtx 1080 strix (not oc version) can i overclock it like OC version in OC mode and how?

On 7/11/2016 at 11:26 PM, AJLedbetter123 said:

So does the card have the same OC capabilities? 

Yes, you can overclock it. I have the regular strix 1070, and overclocked it to 2101.  Download asus gpu tweak here where you can set a custom fan profile, monitor performance, and set a custom clock speed for each voltage, if you really want to play around with overclocking.  However, if you would rather just move some sliders, I suggest you download MSI afterburner here.  An example of the settings I used on my strix 1070 to reach 2114mhz and 9050mhz memory clock.  Your 1080 should be able to reach similar settings for the clock speed.  Set your power limit to max (120% i believe), along with your temp limit.  

Don't worry, your gpu will never get anywhere near 92C, it will max out at around 70C just like mine does below. The settings just let your gpu to keep scaling the clockspeed as long as there is temperature headroom.  Your memory is already at 10000mhz, so you might not get a 1000+increase as i did.  First increase the clockspeed until it starts crashing the driver. When the driver crashes after you run Unigine heaven, or 3d Mark Firestrike, you OC is unstable and you need to back it off. Most 1070's and 1080's hit 2050-2150mhz, you just have to find out for yourself where yours lands. 

Good luck, and have fun with your free performance!

oc.PNG

3 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

Yes, you can overclock it. I have the regular strix 1070, and overclocked it to 2101.  Download asus gpu tweak here where you can set a custom fan profile, monitor performance, and set a custom clock speed for each voltage, if you really want to play around with overclocking.  However, if you would rather just move some sliders, I suggest you download MSI afterburner here.  An example of the settings I used on my strix 1070 to reach 2114mhz and 9050mhz memory clock.  Your 1080 should be able to reach similar settings for the clock speed.  Set your power limit to max (120% i believe), along with your temp limit.  

Don't worry, your gpu will never get anywhere near 92C, it will max out at around 70C just like mine does below. The settings just let your gpu to keep scaling the clockspeed as long as there is temperature headroom.  Your memory is already at 10000mhz, so you might not get a 1000+increase as i did.  First increase the clockspeed until it starts crashing the driver. When the driver crashes after you run Unigine heaven, or 3d Mark Firestrike, you OC is unstable and you need to back it off. Most 1070's and 1080's hit 2050-2150mhz, you just have to find out for yourself where yours lands. 

Good luck, and have fun with your free performance!

oc.PNG

Thank you :) i cant wait to try this when i get back from vacation :)