i3 vs FX for gaming?

No

I see a lot of people saying the i3 6100 is bad for gaming because it is a dual core and stutters etc

while i see people praising the fx 6300/8320 because it has more cores

I also see people saying the i3 is fast and the fx is old and outdated.

Can anyone clear this up for me? What is better in a gaming scenario.

i would say fx, but i have no experience with either cpu, sry

The i3-6100 is better than the FX-6350/6300 in almost every scenario except heavily multithreaded tasks. You have to bear in mind that the i3 has hyperthreading.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, No said:

I see a lot of people saying the i3 6100 is bad for gaming because it is a dual core and stutters etc

while i see people praising the fx 6300/8320 because it has more cores

I also see people saying the i3 is fast and the fx is old and outdated.

Can anyone clear this up for me? What is better in a gaming scenario.

Maybe this helps

I wouldn't really consider the i3-6100 a dual core due to the hyperthreading. 

It will play more like a quad core and the high clock speed with the high IPC can excel in CPU heavy MMO's, etc. 

The intel product is a better investment because you're buying DDR4 ram and can upgrade to a more powerful CPU. 

For gaming intel Core i3-6100 is way better choice! AMD FX 6300 is too old and single core performance is very poor.

the i3-6100 will let you upgrade to an i5 or an i7 later without purchasing a new motherboard and RAM where as the AMD FX will not. end of the story.

Don't lock yourself on such old outdated hardware with abysmal single-threaded performance.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the i3-6100 will let you upgrade to an i5 or an i7 later without purchasing a new motherboard and RAM where as the AMD FX will not. end of the story.

Don't lock yourself on such old outdated hardware with abysmal single-threaded performance.

you do realize that Single threaded performance will matter less and less.

Hell, it ALREADY matters less then it did 2 years ago.

get with the times.

The real performance is multi-threaded SCALING. (not directly multi-threaded performance, but how well each core scales).

PS: Intel is still better in scaling. But the difference is not nearly as stark as the one between single threaded scores.

The 6100 would be the better choice, newer architecture,DDR4 and more power efficient. He could get an i3 now and then the next i7 kaby lake (which is what im doing). 
the FX is like  4 years old already ! do not waste money on older hardware with similar performance in most scenarios.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire