Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD RX 480 + Freesync monitor

Deus EX

Hi guys I'm planning to buy gpu and I need your opinion 

In my country MSI gaming X gtx 1070 is $600(1080msi gaming x  is 934$) and no sign of price dropping,

The incoming Sapphire Nitro rx 480 apprx. price is $330+ and the freesync monitor price is $200  lg 23mp68vq 5ms /View sonic 24 VX2467 1ms Freesync

If I get The gtx 1070 probably I will stick 1080 gaming for the next 5-6 years and then save up money for full upgrade for 4k gaming but my monitor now is BenQ 22'' 5ms 60hz  1080p (probably it is overkill)

if I get rx 480 with freesync I probably up upgrade every AMD x80's next gen like  580,680,780 so on until x80 is capable of 4k gaming..

another problem is They said about NVIDIA for their older cards, they said that NVIDIA stop giving a f*ck on their old gen cards for their DRIVER SUPPORT and focusing on current gen..

but AMD love their old gen card and  their driver support is getting better while the time passing,,

so what is your conclusion? 

my current setup is 

i 7 4790K @4.5ghz
Asus Z97 pro gamer
24gb DRR3 Hyperx fury 1866MHZ
GPU-------
250GB ssd samsung 850 evo
1TB wd caviar black
500 watts seasonic 85+ bronze

Intel i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz + Corsair H80i GT 
Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
24gb Hyper X 1866mhz ram
Msi GTX 1070 Gaming X
250gb Samsung 850 evo ssd + Seagate 1tb Hdd

The 7970 when it was released was meant to compete with the 580 but it was with a 680,then over time it got close to a 780

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

I would get a 1070 and look at getting a 1440p screen later on! Freesync with a 480 isnt worth it in my opion! Or u could wait for the 1060 and see how well that performs and a G sync 1080p or 1440p display with it could be a good option! Best of luck

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

It is true that Nvidia abandons driver support early. It doesn't means that games become unplayable on those cards however. 

And yes a Freesync monitor and a single 480 is a very hard deal to beat. My only concern would be that for the next 2 or 3 years you're looking at gen2 and gen3 (unlikely for gen3 but plausible) VR. So both AMD and Nvidia might start shifting away from variable refresh rate tech in favor of VR and such. 

No bad choice really but if prices are good for you go with the Freesync screen and single 480

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

The 7970 when it was released was meant to compete with the 580 but it was with a 680,then over time it got close to a 780

The 7970 was meant to be a successor to the 6970 which competed with the 580. When released it was meant to compete with the 680. Nowadays a 7970 is about 10% faster than a 680 in most cases but it still isn't really that close to a 780.
To the matter at hand however I think the smartest thing is to get an rx 480 and a freesync monitor since a 1070 is overkill for 1080p 60hz.

2 minutes ago, david cassar said:

The 7970 was meant to be a successor to the 6970 which competed with the 580. When released it was meant to compete with the 680. Nowadays a 7970 is about 10% faster than a 680 in most cases but it still isn't really that close to a 780. 

Not close? here

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

1 hour ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Not close? here

The only games which it was really close was just cause 3.

1 minute ago, david cassar said:

The only games which it was really close was just cause 3.

I said close,not like the same and 5-8 FPS is not close? making sure that the 7970 was made to compete with the 680 not the 780...

Does really Nvidia GTX 1000 series is slower on DX 12? 

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
24gb Hyper X 1866mhz ram
Msi GTX 1070 Gaming X

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Amd+ 144hz freesync monitor BY far, Theres no point in getting a 1070 for 1080p if your refresh rate is locked at 60 hz

Sure there is. An RX 480 or GTX 970 can't do 60 FPS with maxed settings in 1080p in all games (Witcher 3, Crysis 3, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate, and I think GTA V), and the number of games that it can't do 1080p in with maxed settings is only going to grow, going forward. Also, a 1070 can handle 4K DSR for some games in 1080p, which is nice.

I'll get getting a GTX 1070 to upgrade from my R9 280X for 60 Hz gaming, in a couple of weeks, so, I'm sort of in the same situation as the OP. And I know that in some games I'll be pushing the GTX 1070 to its limits with 1200p gaming, whether that's with full settings in Black Flag (including Vsync), or running 4K DSR. However, I don't know what's best for the OP, since they seem sure that if they buy a GTX 1070 that they won't upgrade their monitor for 5 - 6 years (if I understood correctly). Whereas if they buy an RX 480, they'll upgrade the GPU with the next gen of graphics cards.

If that's really how things will play out, OP, then I'd suggest getting the good monitor now, and be prepared to upgrade the RX 480 at some point sooner rather than later in the future, because you'll want to to make use of your monitor. But if you're able to buy the GTX 1070 now, and upgrade your monitor within a couple of years, then I'd do that.

1 hour ago, Deus EX said:

Does really Nvidia GTX 1000 series is slower on DX 12? 

Nvidia has worse async-compute support than AMD, which makes their GPUs less proficient at utilizing DX12 and Vulkan. But a GTX 1070 in DX 12 is still significantly faster than an RX 480, because there's a very big gap between the base performances of those two GPUs.

Here's a benchmark showing the RX 480 and GTX 1070 in an asynchronous-compute (DX12) heavy game:

cross.002.png

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

14 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

I said close,not like the same and 5-8 FPS is not close? making sure that the 7970 was made to compete with the 680 not the 780...

I would however take the benchmarks with a grain of salt. In his rx 480 review the hd 7970 comes very close to the 480 on a couple of occasions. We are getting out of point however tbh.

17 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

You could also attribute that too amd not knowing how to make drivers but slowly improving them over time since they kept releasing the same card over and over again

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

am buying a nitro rx 480, and I have an AOC G2460VQ6 and am very happy with it. But I would wait until the 1060 comes out, just so you can compare the 480 to it. I imagine you live in Australia or NZ :) and can feel the pain of the costs. 

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Here's a benchmark showing the RX 480 and GTX 1070 in an asynchronous-compute (DX12) heavy game:

Do you think Nvidia can fix that problem from their driver support? I probably get 1070 and buy 144hz monitor on december... 

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
24gb Hyper X 1866mhz ram
Msi GTX 1070 Gaming X

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

You could also attribute that too amd not knowing how to make drivers but slowly improving them over time since they kept releasing the same card over and over again

What do you mean by this?

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The 7970 only comes close to the 380 in performance not any other card

15 hours ago, LizardsAreOP said:

well maybe ..'' AMD REBRANDING '' issue 

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
24gb Hyper X 1866mhz ram
Msi GTX 1070 Gaming X

3 minutes ago, Deus EX said:

well maybe ..'' AMD REBRANDING '' issue 

nvidia does it the 960 is a 680

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

AMD re-releases cards significantly more often than nvidia, so the optimizations they make stay over time for example the 7970 is the same as a 280x which is the same as a 380x (they overclock the newer cards a little and add vram but the chip is essentially the same) the reason amd can do this is they use the brute force method, they're chips have good compute performance but they never knew how to optimize quickly, hence why they're old chips stay supported (ie the old and new are essentially the same)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

39 minutes ago, Samsterstorm said:

I would get a 1070 and look at getting a 1440p screen later on! Freesync with a 480 isnt worth it in my opion! Or u could wait for the 1060 and see how well that performs and a G sync 1080p or 1440p display with it could be a good option! Best of luck

How is a 480 with a FreeSync monitor not worth it, but a 1060 with gsync monitor is?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

AMD re-releases cards significantly more often than nvidia, so the optimizations they make stay over time for example the 7970 is the same as a 280x which is the same as a 380x (they overclock the newer cards a little and add vram but the chip is essentially the same) the reason amd can do this is they use the brute force method, they're chips have good compute performance but they never knew how to optimize quickly, hence why they're old chips stay supported (ie the old and new are essentially the same)

AMD is stepping up there game recently i wish AMD more than to Nvidia since Nvidia for me is a dead company

4 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

AMD is stepping up there game recently i wish AMD more than to Nvidia since Nvidia for me is a dead company

They both have they're issues, I just go with what is in my best interest at the time since that can change very quickly, currently though things are not in amds favor overall, this could change depending on how the 490 and vega are, or if the 1060 flops.

Oh I vote 1070, you don't need free or gsync if you gpu can go beyond your monitors max refresh rate

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

They both have they're issues, I just go with what is in my best interest at the time since that can change very quickly, currently though things are not in amds favor overall, this could change depending on how the 490 and vega are, or if the 1060 flops.

Oh I vote 1070, you don't need free or gsync if you gpu can go beyond your monitors max refresh rate

The 1060 will be a failure you will see...Knowing Nvidia even 1000 leaks cant be trusted

1 hour ago, Deus EX said:

Do you think Nvidia can fix that problem from their driver support? I probably get 1070 and buy 144hz monitor on december... 

It's not really a problem. The 1070 has 60 FPS in 1080p, and the 480 has 42 FPS in 1080p. So, the 1070 is far ahead of the 480 even in a DX 12 application.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987