Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD RX 480 + Freesync monitor

Deus EX

I'd wait. The 1070 is a bit of a waste without a 1440p, or even a 144hz 1080p, monitor. By the time you come to buy a more suitable monitor you could either get the 1070 for less, or something quicker will have been released for the same money. Your 480 & Freesync monitor combo still leaves you with a 1080p monitor, not a great upgrade from your current monitor. Maybe just get the 480 if you really want to upgrade right now, and save the rest for future upgrades.

I don't know why people say that a 1070 is overkill for 1080p, since anything less than a 980ti or 1070 can't run all AAA games at maxed settings and 1080p and get 60 FPS. And games are only going to become more graphically-demanding as time goes on. So, the 1070 has a bit of future-proofing to it, which is always something to take into consideration when buying a new GPU. Therefore, a 980ti or 1070 is the minimum GPU available for (near) perfect 1080p performance across all released games. 

When I buy a GPU, I'm not thinking of what will play most games released so far at high settings, I'm thinking what will play everything released so far at max settings, and what will continue to play new games at max or high settings for the next couple of years. I think that a GTX 1070 is the perfect 1080p card right now, and that everything less is going to be increasingly losing 1080p capability over the next 2 years.

Even a GTX 1080 can be made to work hard at 1080p, by running 4K DSR for best picture quality.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987