wifi won't connect to my desktop

willywillywilly0

Hi everyone, sorry if I'm doing this wrong I'm really new to posting on forums and stuff. also I'm a complete beginner when it comes to networking stuff so sorry if i don't understand some basic things.

My wifi won't connect to my windows 10 desktop. I bought a usb wifi adapter (Eidmax n150 if you're wondering) and it's plugged in. my wifi either doesn't show up in the list of available networks or if i click it when it does show up it lets me put in my password and then it loads for a while and then says "can't connect to this network". i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers and it let me connect when i restarted but said no internet. i know that this is a problem with my pc not the router since I'm typing this from my laptop.

thanks for your help

8 minutes ago, willywillywilly0 said:

Hi everyone, sorry if I'm doing this wrong I'm really new to posting on forums and stuff. also I'm a complete beginner when it comes to networking stuff so sorry if i don't understand some basic things.

My wifi won't connect to my windows 10 desktop. I bought a usb wifi adapter (Eidmax n150 if you're wondering) and it's plugged in. my wifi either doesn't show up in the list of available networks or if i click it when it does show up it lets me put in my password and then it loads for a while and then says "can't connect to this network". i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers and it let me connect when i restarted but said no internet. i know that this is a problem with my pc not the router since I'm typing this from my laptop.

thanks for your help

i had this same thing happen to me with a different adapter. for me it was the online drivers. I uninstalled the online ones and used the included disc and it worked fine. hope i helped :) 

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

19 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i had this same thing happen to me with a different adapter. for me it was the online drivers. I uninstalled the online ones and used the included disc and it worked fine. hope i helped :) 

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

sadly it came with only a mini cd and neither of my computers can use those, i tried looking on their website to see if they had any other versions of the drivers and it said that it should just be plug & play on windows 10 so in theory i shouldn't need to install drivers (?) unless i messed something up

also thanks for the welcome!

2 minutes ago, willywillywilly0 said:

sadly it came with only a mini cd and neither of my computers can use those, i tried looking on their website to see if they had any other versions of the drivers and it said that it should just be plug & play on windows 10 so in theory i shouldn't need to install drivers (?) unless i messed something up

also thanks for the welcome!

no problem :) 

i would call the manufacturer because that may mean you have a faulty adapter. 

14 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

no problem :) 

i would call the manufacturer because that may mean you have a faulty adapter. 

hmmmm i don't think their support line is open on the weekends, ill just have to wait i guess.

for some reason though i tried using my phone as a personal hotspot and it worked just fine so maybe its something else?

22 minutes ago, willywillywilly0 said:

hmmmm i don't think their support line is open on the weekends, ill just have to wait i guess.

for some reason though i tried using my phone as a personal hotspot and it worked just fine so maybe its something else?

How far away are you from your router

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

How far away are you from your router

about 30 feet, its in the other room and i don't want to run cables, my laptop works at the same distance as my desktop

11 minutes ago, willywillywilly0 said:

about 30 feet, its in the other room and i don't want to run cables, my laptop works at the same distance as my desktop

most wifi usb's are very low quality. have you tried a wifi pcie card?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468115640&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+pci

46 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i probably should but i don't want to spend that kind of money when i already have this usb adapter

6 minutes ago, willywillywilly0 said:

i probably should but i don't want to spend that kind of money when i already have this usb adapter

i would call the support for the usb then. sorry i couldnt help much. You could always buy a disc drive that can read the small disc's an try again?

10 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i would call the support for the usb then. sorry i couldnt help much. You could always buy a disc drive that can read the small disc's an try again?

its ok thanks for trying! ill definitely call support on monday