Looking to invest in a Xonar DG and Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

So yea, the headset I was using (Corsair Vengence 2000) busted and am now looking into something new. So I've been doing some research on what I would like to get myself next for gaming, watching movies, and listening to music. After looking at what many people recommend on different forums and websites, I've decided to get a set of Sennheiser HD 558 along with an ASUS Xonar DG. This will also be the first time I would be getting a sound card and yes, I've done the research on them too so I know about the unified drivers ;).

Can anyone verify that yes, this will be a good investment or would you recommend something else? A different set of headphones perhaps?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

I'd skip the soundcard for those headphones due to impedance mismatch. If your on board audio is inadequate (EMI, hiss, crackles or pops, etc.) then invest in a FiiO E10 sometime down the road.  ;)

As Mr ShearMe said, skip the soundcard.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

what Shearme said, although I'd add you should be O.K with impedance for the 558 headphones (they are borderline) though if you ever decide to get a lower impedance set down the track they won't be very good with the soundcard.

Also to add to that regardless of your card many people are starting to report issues with the drivers and cards not being reliable.

EDIT: love your avatar. :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Cool, thanks for the replies, I'll that what has been said into consideration. With that said, what WOULD be better matched with a Xonar sound card?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

Cool, thanks for the replies, I'll that what has been said into consideration. With that said, what WOULD be better matched with a Xonar sound card?

Everything at or above the orange line.

msg-7799-0-86408400-1377931726.png

Oh wow, cool.

Lol so like 5% of the headphones on the market...

Yeah, If you don't count all the random OEM re-brands.

So I read the pinned audio FAQ (should have done this the begin with, sorry about that lol) and my mobo has the Realtek ALC 892. Does this mean that I don't even need to both with the FiiO E10 (or sound card for that matter)?

So I read the pinned audio FAQ (should have done this the begin with, sorry about that lol) and my mobo has the Realtek ALC 892. Does this mean that I don't even need to both with the FiiO E10 (or sound card for that matter)?

Try it without first, if you want it louder/bit more SQ pick up the fiio. If you are satisfied, save your money.