PPTP vs. openVPN

79wjd
Go to solution Solved by tt2468,
7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What's the difference/benefits of these two VPN services? Is there any reason to choose one over the other? 

My router has both of them as options and I originally had gotten openVPN to work with a bit of hackery, but I'm wondering if pptp might be easier to get working and/or more stable since openVPN had issues due to being an outdated version. 

PPTP Should NEVER be used, as it is very easy to break the little encryption that it has. PPTP was originally designed by microsoft as a closed source technology, though it has made its way to pretty much any device that at all supports VPN. Microsoft has since ended support for PPTP, as it's pretty much a sack of shit held together by some thread. It's advantages are that it runs at kernel levelI think, and has a very simple configuration.

OpenVPN on the other hand, is open-source, so it can be dissected by anyone. This keeps security at a high, as any bugs can be noticed easily. OpenVPN can use an assortment of different crypto technologies that either havn't been broken, or are at least very hard to break. As long as SSL and everything is updated, you have a very secure VPN.

What's the difference/benefits of these two VPN services? Is there any reason to choose one over the other? 

My router has both of them as options and I originally had gotten openVPN to work with a bit of hackery, but I'm wondering if pptp might be easier to get working and/or more stable since openVPN had issues due to being an outdated version. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

PPTP Should NEVER be used, as it is very easy to break the little encryption that it has. PPTP was originally designed by microsoft as a closed source technology, though it has made its way to pretty much any device that at all supports VPN. Microsoft has since ended support for PPTP, as it's pretty much a sack of shit held together by some thread. It's advantages are that it runs at kernel levelI think, and has a very simple configuration.

OpenVPN on the other hand, is open-source, so it can be dissected by anyone. This keeps security at a high, as any bugs can be noticed easily. OpenVPN can use an assortment of different crypto technologies that either havn't been broken, or are at least very hard to break. As long as SSL and everything is updated, you have a very secure VPN.

My native language is C++

PPTP is very easy to setup however as mentioned has some serious security floors and infact most operating systems for both devices and network infrastructure recommend you don't use it.

PPTP is easy to setup, widely supported, and has little performance overhead. The encryption is not good though so using it to protect your privacy is not a good idea. It's best used if you don't need encryption (i.e. accessing a trusted remote network from another trusted network, needing to change your IP address/geolocation, etc...). I personally use PPTP regularly because I have no need for encryption but I do need to have specific IPs to access specific servers and I do like to have access to remote networks from home, work, and from my cell phone. Also basically every OS out there supports PPTP out of the box (even iOS and Android).

OpenVPN has better encryption but it can be a pain to setup and is not supported by most OSes by default so it requires additional software. There's also a bigger overhead compared to PPTP so the speed will be slower.

Personally if I need encryption I use L2TP w/IPSEC since it's much easier to setup and more widely supported compared to OpenVPN.

-KuJoe

@tt2468 @Windspeed36 @KuJoe

Thank you 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.