coil whine question

ripper101

Is coil whine luck of the draw? Because I read some reviews on the graphics card I want and I am now discouraged about buying it because a few people complain of coil whine

some models are more susceptible than others so do a bit of research and you will most likely be fine

2 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Is coil whine luck of the draw? Because I read some reviews on the graphics card I want and I am now discouraged about buying it because a few people complain of coil whine

To a certain degree yes, it's very possible to get two cards that are the same and for one to whine and the other not to, there are some other factors also which can affect it like the PSU and other components but it's never a guarantee to get a card without coil whine.

22 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If it becomes annoying, run F@H for several days straight, fixed the whine on every card I have come across

So you can fix coil whine?

Cause the only disadvantage I see on this card according to Newegg reviews is coil whine

1 hour ago, ripper101 said:

So you can fix coil whine?

Cause the only disadvantage I see on this card according to Newegg reviews is coil whine

Yeah. Its not an absolute certain fix for all cards, but running the card very hard (like F@H) for an extended period of time will usually manage to quiet down the inductors.

Out of curiosity, what card are you looking at getting? I have a GTX 980 with some moderate coil whine. I've often wondered if it's actually something that could turn into a problem or if it's more just annoying than anything else. 

3 hours ago, AdmnPower said:

Out of curiosity, what card are you looking at getting? I have a GTX 980 with some moderate coil whine. I've often wondered if it's actually something that could turn into a problem or if it's more just annoying than anything else. 

Its completely normal and harmless. Don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

what's F@H?

1 hour ago, ripper101 said:

what's F@H?

Basically your videocard (or CPU, videocard has much more computing power) does math to help research cures for various things:

https://folding.stanford.edu

It also pushes your hardware at its limits, much like bitcoin mining. If you do decide to fold, either to help the cause or to fix coil whine, PLEASE make sure your card is well cooled, even if it involves taking the side panel off and pointing a desk fan into it or replacing all of your case fans with the ones from dell optiplex towers :)

The "Folding Master" of the forums is @Whaler_99 in case you were wondering, his F@H rigs are amazing.

We have a full subforun on F@H (and related activities) and it can be found here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Hope this helps!

On 5. 7. 2016 at 11:36 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

If it becomes annoying, run F@H for several days straight, fixed the whine on every card I have come across

But based on what does that work?

Heat or power usage?

I have GTX 1070 with coil whine when under load. I can have only 60 fps in game, but if I get to over 50% power draw, I will start hearing coil whine.

I have waterblock on it, so if you want me to run my card on high temps, that just won't work.

But if I need to run my card at 100% power draw for long period of time, that's not a problem.

So what does fix GPU coil whine? Burning card at high temps, or running card at 100% TDP for long period of time?

I realy wanna fix that problem ... my previous R9 390 nitro didn't have any coil whine with my PSU. But for some reason I'm unlucky with GTX 1070. I did RMA my previous gtx 1070 because of coil whine and received new one. Again with coil whine. RMA process isn't cheap for me, so I don't wanna keep sending cards back untill I get coil lottery xD 

So I hope you can answer on my question :) 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 7/6/2016 at 10:58 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Awesome, I will continue to solve the problem by turning up the volume on my speakers then. 

On 7/6/2016 at 11:16 PM, Simon771 said:

But based on what does that work?

Heat or power usage?

I have GTX 1070 with coil whine when under load. I can have only 60 fps in game, but if I get to over 50% power draw, I will start hearing coil whine.

I have waterblock on it, so if you want me to run my card on high temps, that just won't work.

But if I need to run my card at 100% power draw for long period of time, that's not a problem.

So what does fix GPU coil whine? Burning card at high temps, or running card at 100% TDP for long period of time?

I realy wanna fix that problem ... my previous R9 390 nitro didn't have any coil whine with my PSU. But for some reason I'm unlucky with GTX 1070. I did RMA my previous gtx 1070 because of coil whine and received new one. Again with coil whine. RMA process isn't cheap for me, so I don't wanna keep sending cards back untill I get coil lottery xD 

So I hope you can answer on my question :) 

For whatever reason, running it hard will "burn in" the inductors (which is where the whine comes from, and these usally arent cooled on a waterblock) and make them behave. The noise comes from slight vibrations in the wire wound in the incuctor. I have seen other people say that leaving a game open on the menu screen with vsync off will also help.

I have suggested the f@h fix to users before, who have had good results:

22 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

For whatever reason, running it hard will "burn in" the inductors (which is where the whine comes from, and these usally arent cooled on a waterblock) and make them behave. The noise comes from slight vibrations in the wire wound in the incuctor. I have seen other people say that leaving a game open on the menu screen with vsync off will also help.

I am not a materials scientist but my hypothesis is that, since the coil whine is the wire physically vibrating, by running under conditions that cause the vibration for a long period of time you ware out the stiffness in the wire.  The looser coil will still be vibrating but with less rigidity it will make less noise.  So I would speculate that increased temps help this process but the simple fact that the whine is there tells you enough is happening to "burn in" the card.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have suggested the f@h fix to users before, who have had good results:

41 minutes ago, Geekavenger said:

I am not a materials scientist but my hypothesis is that, since the coil whine is the wire physically vibrating, by running under conditions that cause the vibration for a long period of time you ware out the stiffness in the wire.  The looser coil will still be vibrating but with less rigidity it will make less noise.  So I would speculate that increased temps help this process but the simple fact that the whine is there tells you enough is happening to "burn in" the card.

Well I was running f@h over night and I don't think much has changed :D 

I will just keep on gaming over the day and folding when I sleep. Hopefully after time it will reduce that noise.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB