F***ed my computer? Won't turn on?

SenorKiwi

hello everyone,

TOday I got my SC GTX 1070, very excited I went to install it. When I got it in place for some reason when I turned the computer on it wouldn't fully start and kept staying on for about 6 seconds, turning back on again and then doing the same process each time with the time periods of it staying on increasing.

I was told that this was a problem with my PSU, as the recommended is 500W and I have a 450W Corsair VS.

I then decided to replace my old GPU until the new PSU arrived... although it seems now that I put the old GPU back in the same issue is occuring. I have no idea wtf I've done to the computer, I tried to ensure there was no static electricity in me and I don't now what I've done now.

Any ideas would be appreciated, let's hope I haven't fucked everything... :(

Have you tried making sure that everything is properly connected, and it is plugged in tightly?

Also try booting off the iGPU if you have an intel CPU.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

16 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

hello everyone,

TOday I got my SC GTX 1070, very excited I went to install it. When I got it in place for some reason when I turned the computer on it wouldn't fully start and kept staying on for about 6 seconds, turning back on again and then doing the same process each time with the time periods of it staying on increasing.

I was told that this was a problem with my PSU, as the recommended is 500W and I have a 450W Corsair VS.

I then decided to replace my old GPU until the new PSU arrived... although it seems now that I put the old GPU back in the same issue is occuring. I have no idea wtf I've done to the computer, I tried to ensure there was no static electricity in me and I don't now what I've done now.

Any ideas would be appreciated, let's hope I haven't fucked everything... :(

u prolly didnt uninstall the previous video card driver and that may have created errors that messed it up

13 minutes ago, Silyy097 said:

Have you tried making sure that everything is properly connected, and it is plugged in tightly?

Also try booting off the iGPU if you have an intel CPU.

everything is plugged in correctly for sure, and I don't know what the iGPU is ?

4 minutes ago, SwiftXShadow said:

u prolly didnt uninstall the previous video card driver and that may have created errors that messed it up

I didn;t, you are correct. I check the linus video and they uninstalled the drivers afterwards... although the manual said before... I don't know how I can fix these errors now... any ideas??

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

everything is plugged in correctly for sure, and I don't know what the iGPU is ?

Its the integrated GPU. Most (Heck, all recent ones) Intel CPUs have an integrated GPU in them, albeit a very weak one. They have enough power to just about run minecraft at 60 fps with everything turned down in most cases. You can boot off it by unplugging your dedicated GPU (1070, etc) and connecting your HDMI/VGA cable directly to the ports in the motherbord I/O. You most likely will get a low resolution by doing this but it is normal.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

2 minutes ago, Silyy097 said:

Its the integrated GPU. Most (Heck, all recent ones) Intel CPUs have an integrated GPU in them, albeit a very weak one. They have enough power to just about run minecraft at 60 fps with everything turned down in most cases. You can boot off it by unplugging your dedicated GPU (1070, etc) and connecting your HDMI/VGA cable directly to the ports in the motherbord I/O. You most likely will get a low resolution by doing this but it is normal.

ok, thanks for the advice. How will I fix this issue permanently? I mean I don't know what I've done to make it all mess up. Maybe its a driver problem like the other guy said?

ok well it is still broken. No graphics cards are in and it won't turn itself on. I have no idea what has happened, but clearly isn't a GPU problem anymore.

So with everything plugged in as it was and having your monitor connected to the motherboard. 

Nothing happens when you try and boot it?

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

2 minutes ago, DarkShadowUK said:

So with everything plugged in as it was and having your monitor connected to the motherboard. 

Nothing happens when you try and boot it?

well I tried putting my old GPU back in, and connected the monitor to that and it would turn on for about 10 seconds, turn back off and try to reboot itself. Until I held the power button it would keep doing this. I was then told to remove the old GPU as well, done that and still the same problem.... I believe everything is plugged in, I can't see what couldn't be unless its something I can't get to currently or can't see like inside the PSU... I don't know. How the fuck could I Have destroyed the motherboard or something by doing this...

5 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

well I tried putting my old GPU back in, and connected the monitor to that and it would turn on for about 10 seconds, turn back off and try to reboot itself. Until I held the power button it would keep doing this. I was then told to remove the old GPU as well, done that and still the same problem.... I believe everything is plugged in, I can't see what couldn't be unless its something I can't get to currently or can't see like inside the PSU... I don't know. How the fuck could I Have destroyed the motherboard or something by doing this...

How many sticks of RAM are in the PC ?

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

1 minute ago, DarkShadowUK said:

How many sticks of RAM are in the PC ?

2x8GB

2 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

2x8GB

Remove 1 stick and try and boot it

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig:

Remove 1 stick and try and boot it

without the GPUs in? Just use the IGPU?

without the GPUs in? Just use the IGPU?

I would do it with your old GPU first.

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig:

I would do it with your old GPU first.

alright, just curious to why this would help? What does this change?

alright, just curious to why this would help? What does this change?

Well you said it was working fine, till you removed your GPU and put in the new one. Then going back to the old set up you had the same issue.

I've had issues before where as you did changed a GPU or something it wont boot, and its because the ram has an error and wont boot up correctly.

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig:

5 minutes ago, DarkShadowUK said:

Well you said it was working fine, till you removed your GPU and put in the new one. Then going back to the old set up you had the same issue.

I've had issues before where as you did changed a GPU or something it wont boot, and its because the ram has an error and wont boot up correctly.

it worked!!! <3 Not sure where I can go from here, I was recommended to buy a new GPU as my current Corsair VS 450W is supposedly not very safe to use?

Shall I replace the RAM? Try the new GPU? Or buy new PSU? I was recommended this; https://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-m1211-520-evo-full-modular-80-plus-bronze-atx-psu

Or will taking my brother's Corsair VS 550W be fine also? I believe when I talked to you before this PSU Was fine, although someone else said it was shit and I needed another??

it worked!!! <3 Not sure where I can go from here, I was recommended to buy a new GPU as my current Corsair VS 450W is supposedly not very safe to use?

Shall I replace the RAM? Try the new GPU? Or buy new PSU? I was recommended this; https://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-m1211-520-evo-full-modular-80-plus-bronze-atx-psu

No, now put other stick back in and see if it boots, If it does then try new GPU. Like i said I've had it where RAM has an error and cleared by removing it and putting it back in..:)

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig:

11 minutes ago, DarkShadowUK said:

No, now put other stick back in and see if it boots, If it does then try new GPU. Like i said I've had it where RAM has an error and cleared by removing it and putting it back in..:)

Ok, awesome. So I don't need a new PSU you think?

I just put the new GPU in (because the full 16gb of ram did work :D) although I realised in the manual it says uninstall old drivers before putting new GPU in (in instruction steps) although Linustechtips say in their video about uninstalling the old drivers after installing the new GPU? I guess either works?

1 hour ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Ok, awesome. So I don't need a new PSU you think?

Hard to say. If it boots and runs ok should be fine i guess :)

Its more of a good practise would be to remove old drivers and reinstall them fresh. I've personally never had to do it, even when I've swtiched from AMD to Nvidia.

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig:

^ Forgot to hit post. Lol

So is everything worknig fine now with new GPU plugged in?

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig:

1 hour ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Or will taking my brother's Corsair VS 550W be fine also? I believe when I talked to you before this PSU Was fine, although someone else said it was shit and I needed another??

All VS series PSUs are crap. It's a very good idea to replace it. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

47 minutes ago, DarkShadowUK said:

^ Forgot to hit post. Lol

So is everything worknig fine now with new GPU plugged in?

43 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

All VS series PSUs are crap. It's a very good idea to replace it. 

Everything is working well, although how do I know that the GPU is working at its full potential? I mean I could get a new GPU just to ensure that something doesn't go wrong, plus it might improve the performance. Also considering getting a UPS? To prevent power surges and power cuts harming the computer, what do you think?

8 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Everything is working well, although how do I know that the GPU is working at its full potential? I mean I could get a new GPU just to ensure that something doesn't go wrong, plus it might improve the performance. Also considering getting a UPS? To prevent power surges and power cuts harming the computer, what do you think?

TBH I think it depends on the total power draw of all your PC components.

Looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 on EVGA site, says maximum draw is 215W, So card running at max will draw 215W from your PSU.

Leaving you with 235W for the rest of your system, So depending on what your CPU ect requires cant see it being an issue with 450W.

The above is my understanding of it all, I could be totally wrong xD But im sure someone will correct me if needed.

Gaming Rig:

HTPC Rig: