Question on sli without bridge

ZeusXI

So my friend has 2 of these cards,

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-OC-PCI-Express-N750TI-2GD5/dp/B00I602S92

MSI GTX 75p ti twin frozen 2GB edition

He was wondering if he could use bj other of them in his rig together in like...amd crossfire type sli? If that's possible? I've read some forums where low bandwidth cards can possibly do it, but they don't say how at all. Thanks for the input

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

He was wondering if he could use bj other of them in his rig together in like...amd crossfire type sli? If that's possible? I've read some forums where low bandwidth cards can possibly do it, but they don't say how at all. Thanks for the input

No, to use Green Team, AKA Nvidia, SLI, it requires the bridge.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You could only do it in a few dx12 titles, so basically only 2 or 3 games.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Those GPU's do NOT support any form of multi-GPU configuration and would be absolutely USELESS in a computer together.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

No, to use Green Team, AKA Nvidia, SLI, it requires the bridge.

How does amd crossfire work exactly? How do they get high bandwidth cards to work without a bit? And gtx with same bandwidth cant?

3 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Those GPU's do NOT support any form of multi-GPU configuration and would be absolutely USELESS in a computer together.

Ever heard of a dedicated PhysX card? Not that I'd advocate such a setup with two 750 Ti's, but they're far from USELESS.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

How does amd crossfire work exactly? How do they get high bandwidth cards to work without a bit? And gtx with same bandwidth cant?

Because thats AMD patented tech.

2 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

AMD has just developed it to do the crossfire over the PCI buss, where as NVIDIA has stuck to using the technology they acquired (albeit upgraded) from when the purchased 3DFX which is Scalable Link Interface or SLI for short which works over a secondary interface to increase potential bandwidth between GPU's.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Ever heard of a dedicated PhysX card? Not that I'd advocate such a setup with two 750 Ti's, but they're far from USELESS.

Yeah, USELESS. Very few games will actually utilize a dedicated PhysX card, and so in essence- it's USELESS.

its a design choice, amd opted for the convenient way and have it all go trough pcie

nvidia went for the traditional way (probably for more reasons than just tradition and profit margin on bridges) and have a bridge perform inter-card communications.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Not a lot of physX games out there anymore. Are there? He plays battlefield games, minecraft, Diablo, and dark souls 3. Do any of those really use physX?

Not a lot of physX games out there anymore. Are there? He plays battlefield games, minecraft, Diablo, and dark souls 3. Do any of those really use physX?

Not that I know of, take my word for it, it would be useless and a absolute waste of a second capable GPU.

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Not that I know of, take my word for it, it would be useless and a absolute waste of a second capable GPU.

Thank you! Would there be any way to make that graphics card sli ready? Or would that be impossible/hard?

11 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Ii used to be possible-and still might be-with custom drivers. However with 750ti since the cards were never designed to run in SLI (aka they can't share data over the PCIe lanes and never had SLI fingers) it can't be done. Also, the SLI bridge is the only thing that stops the stuttering that can be a problem with for example bridge-less crossfire.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Thank you! Would there be any way to make that graphics card sli ready? Or would that be impossible/hard?

As far as I'm aware it's impossible, what I'd do if I were you friend is try and sell both of them and then see what the GTX 1060 has to offer than buy either a GTX 1060 or an RX 480.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its a design choice, amd opted for the convenient way and have it all go trough pcie

nvidia went for the traditional way (probably for more reasons than just tradition and profit margin on bridges) and have a bridge perform inter-card communications.

Nvidia uses the PCIe lanes along with the bridge in SLI-it hurts scaling a bit and increases the manufacturing/design cost but it does mean that there are less issues overall.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Nvidia uses the PCIe lanes along with the bridge in SLI-it hurts scaling a bit and increases the manufacturing/design cost but it does mean that there are less issues overall.

well, falls in line with nvidia's market place as "the premium solution" in multiple ways, one of which being price :P

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, falls in line with nvidia's market place as "the premium solution" in multiple ways, one of which being price :P

But having a bridge does help though-although I still haven't been able to test the extent of that though-haven't had access to an SLI or crossfire based rig for more than a fortnight (still thinking of going with a second GTX 970-the only games that I'd need more power in are the ones that support SLI).

PMSL

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

hey look at my GPU setup, yeah they both are running this game

batman's cape is running on number two right there

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

You can use both cards together but not in SLI. You can use them for more display outs, a dedicated PhysX card or in DX12 multi GPU. None of these are recommended, especially when you can do much better with the money. Try sell them and get an aftermarket 480/1060.

6 hours ago, l__T__l said:

You can use both cards together but not in SLI. You can use them for more display outs, a dedicated PhysX card or in DX12 multi GPU. None of these are recommended, especially when you can do much better with the money. Try sell them and get an aftermarket 480/1060.

Any specs on the 1060 yet? or is that still TBA?

8 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

Any specs on the 1060 yet? or is that still TBA?

There's probably leaks but it's fine waiting until July the 7th for more info. 

My my estimation is that it will be a 3GB card at $250 that consistently beats the 980, has a TDP of 120w and uses a single six pin. It will be 15% better than the 480 but 25% more expensive. That's just my guess though.

2 hours ago, l__T__l said:

There's probably leaks but it's fine waiting until July the 7th for more info. 

My my estimation is that it will be a 3GB card at $250 that consistently beats the 980, has a TDP of 120w and uses a single six pin. It will be 15% better than the 480 but 25% more expensive. That's just my guess though.

well, it would be more expensive if you buy the 480 4GB model at 200, and the 1060 at 250$ for 3GB, or could compare the 480 8GB model at 250. Kinda hope the 1060 would have at least 4GB of G5 memory 

45 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

well, it would be more expensive if you buy the 480 4GB model at 200, and the 1060 at 250$ for 3GB, or could compare the 480 8GB model at 250. Kinda hope the 1060 would have at least 4GB of G5 memory 

It's likely that it also has a 6GB variant. This is all just an educated guess though so don't think much of it.

On 4 July 2016 at 7:04 AM, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Can be used for nvdia surround

or a phys X card

tgey will not Sli tho 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933