When shutting down pc do I turn the monitor off too?

oo2k15

Recently i bought a new monitor. And I have this thought that came to my mind. Do you guys turn off your monitor when shutting down your pc? What's the longetivity of doing this? Does it make any difference at all if I turn it off or put it on hibernation or power saving mode?

Right now when I turn off pc my lg ultrawide monitor would go on power saving mode with power light still flickering. But if I press the power button I can turn it off and no light. Although if I want to use the monitor again I need to turn it on and reestablish the signal. The past monitor I have I just turn off my pc and thats that and leave it on hibernation mode or power saving w/e is call and that monitor lasted 7+ years for me.

So again, my question is does it make any difference if I turn it off or leave it on default power saving mode? It won't put any additional stress on the monitor right? It'll still have the same longevity? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

1 minute ago, oo2k15 said:

Recently i bought a new monitor. And I have this thought that came to my mind. Do you guys turn off your monitor when shutting down your pc? What's the longetivity of doing this? Does it make any difference at all if I turn it off or put it on hibernation or power saving mode?

Right now when I turn off pc my lg ultrawide monitor would go on power saving mode with power light still flickering. But if I press the power button I can turn it off and no light. Although if I want to use the monitor again I need to turn it on and reestablish the signal. The past monitor I have I just turn off my pc and thats that and leave it on hibernation mode or power saving w/e is call and that monitor lasted 7+ years for me.

So again, my question is does it make any difference if I turn it off or leave it on default power saving mode? It won't put any additional stress on the monitor right? It'll still have the same longevity? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Just switch off your computer and the monitor will go into power saving mode. It is designed to do that.

Hello

3 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Just switch off your computer and the monitor will go into power saving mode. It is designed to do that.

So I don't need to do anything then? What if I turn off the power saving mode and turn monitor off completely will that do anything?

18 minutes ago, oo2k15 said:

So I don't need to do anything then? What if I turn off the power saving mode and turn monitor off completely will that do anything?

It will turn off the monitor completely.

No, the monitor will go in standby.

In order to turn it off you have to press the power button on the monitor.

If you turn off your PC, your monitor will stop receiving signal, and thus goes into standby mode.

If you turn your PC on again, it will receive signal again, go out of standby mode and spring back to life.

In standby mode the monitor is not turned off, it's just not displaying anything and the backlight goes off.

I always turn off my monitor because I don't see why I would leave it on.

When I'm finished using an electronic device I always turn it off, with the exception of my smartphone.

It saves power and increases lifespan (even though ever so slightly).

I turn mine off, because I don't like the lights when sleeping

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

No, the monitor will go in standby.

In order to turn it off you have to press the power button on the monitor.

If you turn off your PC, your monitor will stop receiving signal, and thus goes into standby mode.

If you turn your PC on again, it will receive signal again, go out of standby mode and spring back to life.

In standby mode the monitor is not turned off, it's just not displaying anything and the backlight goes off.

I always turn off my monitor because I don't see why I would leave it on.

When I'm finished using an electronic device I always turn it off, with the exception of my smartphone.

It saves power and increases lifespan (even though ever so slightly).

Okay thank you. I've done couple of research and it seems like it hardly make any difference. So i guess i'll leave it on power saving mode.

my stuff is on a multi outlet surge protector. when the pc shuts down I pull the plug from the wall.

21 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I turn mine off, because I don't like the lights when sleeping

Lol same.

I've hooked my entire setup on a 6-socket power brick with a switch on it, so I can turn off literally everything when I go to sleep.

No single LED lighting up the room, beautiful darkness to sleep in.

12 minutes ago, oo2k15 said:

Okay thank you. I've done couple of research and it seems like it hardly make any difference. So i guess i'll leave it on power saving mode.

It should indeed hardly make any difference, but It's just my feeling of it. Whenever I'm not using my PC I turn off my monitor.

Leaving it in power saving mode is obviously the easiest thing to do :)

20 hours ago, LabRat said:

my stuff is on a multi outlet surge protector. when the pc shuts down I pull the plug from the wall.

That seems like a terrible idea.

Anyway, I never turn stuff off.  Let it go into standby mode.  The power usage/wear is negligible and I like the convinience for being able to get devices back up and running without having to do much.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

I would personally because the light on the monitor bugs me, but do what you want.