LinusTechTips and clickbait.

So the latest Techquickie talked about clickbait, and how Techquickie never would use it. However the main channel LinusTechTips do use a lot of clickbait. The only reason I'm not subscribed to the main youtube channel is because of the clickbait videos I get in my feed. The last weeks you had, "Best PC case on the market?", "Deaths in Internet cafés", "Yi 4K Action Cam Review - The GoPro Killer!?" and the list go on.

These are obvious clickbait. And I'm wondering if you guys are ever going to stop using clickbait? It obvious still works, because people are still using them, but they are still very annoying to see.

1 hour ago, frejoh466 said:

So the latest Techquickie talked about clickbait, and how Techquickie never would use it. However the main channel LinusTechTips do use a lot of clickbait. The only reason I'm not subscribed to the main youtube channel is because of the clickbait videos I get in my feed. The last weeks you had, "Best PC case on the market?", "Deaths in Internet cafés", "Yi 4K Action Cam Review - The GoPro Killer!?" and the list go on.

These are obvious clickbait. And I'm wondering if you guys are ever going to stop using clickbait? It obvious still works, because people are still using them, but they are still very annoying to see.

They are not click bait if they have question marks on them and they talk about the title in some way in the video

Hello

1 hour ago, TAHIRMIA said:

They are not click bait if they have question marks on them and they talk about the title in some way in the video

No. It's still a click bait. Adding a question mark doesn't remove the fact that it's totally a click bait. It's the statement of "gopro killer" or "best pc case" that makes it click bait, doesn't matter if its technically a question, it still attracts attention and judging by their subscriber and view count, I'd say it's working. 

ASU

8 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

No. It's still a click bait. Adding a question mark doesn't remove the fact that it's totally a click bait. It's the statement of "gopro killer" or "best pc case" that makes it click bait, doesn't matter if its technically a question, it still attracts attention and judging by their subscriber and view count, I'd say it's working. 

But they are talking about it in the video so it is not click bait. Its a review to see if its "The Best PC Case"

Hello

1 hour ago, TAHIRMIA said:

That's irrelevant. The point of a click bait is to get someone to click on the video or article. It doesn't matter if they talk about the click baity title, if you click on the click bait because of the title, it's an effective click bait. 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Kyle Billheimer said:

My post counter won't go up to 69. Is Linus anti-memes?

It doesn't go up in off-topic

Hello

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

That's irrelevant. The point of a click bait is to get someone to click on the video or article. It doesn't matter if they talk about the click baity title, if you click on the click bait because of the title, it's an effective click bait. 

I click to watch Linus/Luke, which most people do and to see the review of the product so its not really click bait if his subscribers want to see his content

Hello

Bottom line & the word you're looking for is.. " Irony ", it doesn't count if you say it form the other side even while doing the same thing so , people do this everywhere, jsut look into politics , SJW's , Feminists , Business level interventions, Privacy adherence etc

Details separate people.

You lot are arguing as if click bait is bad. If you wanted to remove every piece of click bait ever, you'd be left with... nothing to click at all. The point is, a title, an image, an image with text, it all gets you to click the video.

If Linus only ever had his video titles as numbers ("Video 2") and blank thumbnails from the very beginning, none of you would even be here to argue about click bait in the first place. Face it, none of you click links because you want to be true to the internet or some shit, you click it because it hooks you in, by interesting you.

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick, though. The video itself explains that click bait is where a title or a description leaves you wondering.. much like Linus' own mentioning of future videos before or after the one you were currently watching that one time... and much like the things in his thumbnails -- they're all so you'll click, watch, and he gets ad revenue. Difference is, Linus Media Group doesn't solely survive of ad revenue.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

8 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

So "100 people won $10000, are you one of them?" is not clickbait?

7 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I click to watch Linus/Luke, which most people do and to see the review of the product so its not really click bait if his subscribers want to see his content

It's still clickbait even if you want to watch it.

Clickbait

(on the Internet) content, especially that of a sensational or provocative nature, whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page.

4 hours ago, Crowes said:

You lot are arguing as if click bait is bad. If you wanted to remove every piece of click bait ever, you'd be left with... nothing to click at all. The point is, a title, an image, an image with text, it all gets you to click the video.

If Linus only ever had his video titles as numbers ("Video 2") and blank thumbnails from the very beginning, none of you would even be here to argue about click bait in the first place. Face it, none of you click links because you want to be true to the internet or some shit, you click it because it hooks you in, by interesting you.

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick, though. The video itself explains that click bait is where a title or a description leaves you wondering.. much like Linus' own mentioning of future videos before or after the one you were currently watching that one time... and much like the things in his thumbnails -- they're all so you'll click, watch, and he gets ad revenue. Difference is, Linus Media Group doesn't solely survive of ad revenue.

How about changing the name to what it is? Change "Deaths in Internet cafés" to "Internet cafés in Taiwan" (like the thumbnail). The thumbnails is often much better headline then the current clickbait. 

10 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

You can like it and it can be clickbait at the same time

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers