Internet Cuts Out When Connecting to Switch

austin2118ace
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,
12 hours ago, austin2118ace said:

For both computers I turned the wifi off so they were only connected to LAN. I can ping the computers from each other; however, neither computer is showing up on the others network and I cannot connect to the shared drive via name or I.P. Both are uniquely named

Make sure that on both computers, the LAN is set as a "Private" network, not Public. Windows 8 and 10 try to auto-determine this for you, and very often falsely choose Public (which is more secure so I can't fault the programmers for being cautious). You can see the network type in Network and Sharing Center.

I have a curious problem with my network connections. I get my internet connection through a wireless USB (no wired ethernet in the house unfortunately). Additionally, to facilitate quick, easy file transfers between my laptop and desktop(as well as LAN gaming) I connect them through Ethernet. The wireless works fine on its own; however, as soon as I plug in the Desktop's Ethernet cable to the switch (the switch has nothing but the desktop plugged into it) I instantly loose internet connectivity.

I have the ethernet port on the 255.0.0.0 subnet and have given it a dedicated I.P. for LAN gaming and such so it is completely separate from the wifi's I.P. range. The switch should not be sending any signals to the port so I am confused as to why the internet just stops working.

-Austin

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

PSU- Corsair CX750M Cooler- Corsair H90 Boot Drive- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Storage-WD 1TB Blue Storage- Seagate 2TB

4 hours ago, austin2118ace said:

I have a curious problem with my network connections. I get my internet connection through a wireless USB (no wired ethernet in the house unfortunately). Additionally, to facilitate quick, easy file transfers between my laptop and desktop(as well as LAN gaming) I connect them through Ethernet. The wireless works fine on its own; however, as soon as I plug in the Desktop's Ethernet cable to the switch (the switch has nothing but the desktop plugged into it) I instantly loose internet connectivity.

I have the ethernet port on the 255.0.0.0 subnet and have given it a dedicated I.P. for LAN gaming and such so it is completely separate from the wifi's I.P. range. The switch should not be sending any signals to the port so I am confused as to why the internet just stops working.

-Austin

What ips are you using?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

17 hours ago, mcraftax said:

What ips are you using?

The USB has a static ip of 192.168.0.172

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Default GW 192.168.0.1

Using google dns

The ethernet has an ip of 

GW 10.100.0.1

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

1 hour ago, austin2118ace said:

The USB has a static ip of 192.168.0.172

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Default GW 192.168.0.1

Using google dns

The ethernet has an ip of 

GW 10.100.0.1

remove the GW IP from the ethernet. By giving Windows a gateway IP on that interface, you are telling it that there is a router on that interface that it can use to connect to the internet. Just leave all the fields for the gateway IP on the ethernet blank.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 7/2/2016 at 11:43 PM, brwainer said:

remove the GW IP from the ethernet. By giving Windows a gateway IP on that interface, you are telling it that there is a router on that interface that it can use to connect to the internet. Just leave all the fields for the gateway IP on the ethernet blank.

Hey sorry it took me so long, was on vacation. This solved my lack of internet connectivity but now the laptop can not access the shared network drives over lan.

I put the laptop in airplane mode to deactivate the wifi so only the lan connection is active.

When I try to access the drives Windows tells me "The local device name is already in use."

Any idea why?

9 hours ago, austin2118ace said:

Hey sorry it took me so long, was on vacation. This solved my lack of internet connectivity but now the laptop can not access the shared network drives over lan.

I put the laptop in airplane mode to deactivate the wifi so only the lan connection is active.

When I try to access the drives Windows tells me "The local device name is already in use."

Any idea why?

1. Make sure each computer on the switch actually has its own unique computer name.

2. Try accessing the other computer by both name and IP.

10 hours ago, brwainer said:

1. Make sure each computer on the switch actually has its own unique computer name.

2. Try accessing the other computer by both name and IP.

For both computers I turned the wifi off so they were only connected to LAN. I can ping the computers from each other; however, neither computer is showing up on the others network and I cannot connect to the shared drive via name or I.P. Both are uniquely named

12 hours ago, austin2118ace said:

Make sure that on both computers, the LAN is set as a "Private" network, not Public. Windows 8 and 10 try to auto-determine this for you, and very often falsely choose Public (which is more secure so I can't fault the programmers for being cautious). You can see the network type in Network and Sharing Center.

13 hours ago, brwainer said:

This fixed this issue. Wasn't straight forward on my laptop to switch from public to private (I ended up using powershell commands).

After all that my desktop firewall had all file transfer protocols blocked for private networks and I had to go through and activate a ton of rules to get it working. Either way works great now.

Thanks For the Help