Is my GPU throttling?

hong1204

Hi,

I noticed my GPU drop in Mhz when I'm in game(planet coaster). Recently I also experienced random game freezing when I'm playing Dota 2. I have set my fan speed to max and still got the same result. Is my GPU throttling? How can I fix this?

2.png

1.png

i5 4690k, Z97m gaming, Kingston Savage 2x4gb 1600, Msi r9 290, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, WD Blue 1tb, CM V650, Asus VX239H, CM Quickfire Rapid-I, Logitech G502.

TOO DAMN HOT

94*C

Throttling the Clocks.

Reference Cooled 290/X?

Go read some reviews on your card, and it's clock speed consistency over time, it lowers due to increased heat.

Thats pretty normal for that card.

You can watercool it (kits available online) and there are aftermarket fanned options you could throw on it to get it cooler and quieter.

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga.html?dir=desc&order=price

Check compatability first.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm using MSi Twin frozr r9 290. Been using for almost 2 years. 

i5 4690k, Z97m gaming, Kingston Savage 2x4gb 1600, Msi r9 290, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, WD Blue 1tb, CM V650, Asus VX239H, CM Quickfire Rapid-I, Logitech G502.

1 minute ago, hong1204 said:

I'm using MSi Twin frozr r9 290. Been using for almost 2 years. 

Oh, Well I suggest grabbing a small paintbrush and clearing the card of dust. Then reapplying the thermal paste (disassemble/reassemble) 

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

TOO DAMN HOT

94*C

Throttling the Clocks.

Reference Cooled 290/X?

Go read some reviews on your card, and it's clock speed consistency over time, it lowers due to increased heat.

Thats pretty normal for that card.

You can watercool it (kits available online) and there are aftermarket fanned options you could throw on it to get it cooler and quieter.

I live in a hot climate. I read on the internet that I should change the thermal paste? Watercool is expensive :o

Oh, Well I suggest grabbing a small paintbrush and clearing the card of dust. Then reapplying the thermal paste (disassemble/reassemble) 

Ok! Any tips/pitfalls I should be looking for when changing thermal paste?

I live in a hot climate. I read on the internet that I should change the thermal paste? Watercool is expensive :o

Dust? Clean it of dust if you can.

Changing thermal paste is one thing I'd be doing first after cleaning dust, it's easy and done in less than 10mins. (Youtube search how to)

Yeah, but you'll pick up what to do, by youtube searching (changing R9 290 thermal paste) and there should be HEAPS of video's showing you how to properly.

Yeah, but you'll pick up what to do, by youtube searching (changing R9 290 thermal paste) and there should be HEAPS of video's showing you how to properly.

Ok thanks for the help!

12 minutes ago, hong1204 said:

My recommendation is Arctic mx-4. Easy to apply, not too thick or too runny, doesn't dry up so an application can last a long time. 
My experience with pastes; AS-5 is meh and too expensive for what it is. Gelid works great at first (gets slightly cooler temps than MX-4) but turns into poop after a few months. It's also really thick and hard to apply. 
IC diamond is abrasive and I don't trust it. It works really good though (has better thermal performance than both gelid and MX-4) but will remove lettering from the top of a chip. 
I find the spread method to work better on GPU's than the pea method because GPU mounting pressure is usually a bit too low to spread the paste well enough. 

Everyone will have different advice here though. The thermal paste debate is a whole other beast. Good luck. 

I would clean the dust first, if that's not enough, then I'd look at changing the thermal paste.

6 hours ago, JamGorby said:

My recommendation is Arctic mx-4. Easy to apply, not too thick or too runny, doesn't dry up so an application can last a long time. 
My experience with pastes; AS-5 is meh and too expensive for what it is. Gelid works great at first (gets slightly cooler temps than MX-4) but turns into poop after a few months. It's also really thick and hard to apply. 
IC diamond is abrasive and I don't trust it. It works really good though (has better thermal performance than both gelid and MX-4) but will remove lettering from the top of a chip. 
I find the spread method to work better on GPU's than the pea method because GPU mounting pressure is usually a bit too low to spread the paste well enough. 

Everyone will have different advice here though. The thermal paste debate is a whole other beast. Good luck. 

Thanks for the advice. I've already ordered an Arctic Mx-4!