My MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X is underperforming, and I'm not sure why.

Hey Guys,

To start off with the basic, specs are:

Windows 10 Pro
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Intel i7 4770-K (not oc'd right now, but was at 4.4ghz)
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (see below)
Corsair Dominator 16GB 1866 (not oc)
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 500GB
Corsair AXi 1200

firestrike 1070.PNGunigine score.PNG

So the short of it is that I just bought an MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X and in order to use it, I had to reformat my SSD because of too many issues post windows 10 upgrade.

All my drivers are up to date including the newest BIOS for my mobo and the gpu.

The current OC on my card is and is running stable benchmarks atm:

msi oc.PNG

However, every benchmark I'm seeing from reviewers and on posts shows around a 17k score in fire strike on an FE card.

I'm honestly not sure if I've missed something here or something is wrong with my card?

I'm hoping that it's something on my end that's fixable, because I'd hate to have to RMA the card.

Any thoughts guys?  I'm really curious as to what's going on, if there is any issue at all.

25 minutes ago, MADAO said:

Hey Guys,

To start off with the basic, specs are:

Windows 10 Pro
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Intel i7 4770-K (not oc'd right now, but was at 4.4ghz)
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (see below)
Corsair Dominator 16GB 1866 (not oc)
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 500GB
Corsair AXi 1200

firestrike 1070.PNGunigine score.PNG

So the short of it is that I just bought an MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X and in order to use it, I had to reformat my SSD because of too many issues post windows 10 upgrade.

All my drivers are up to date including the newest BIOS for my mobo and the gpu.

The current OC on my card is and is running stable benchmarks atm:

msi oc.PNG

However, every benchmark I'm seeing from reviewers and on posts shows around a 17k score in fire strike on an FE card.

I'm honestly not sure if I've missed something here or something is wrong with my card?

I'm hoping that it's something on my end that's fixable, because I'd hate to have to RMA the card.

Any thoughts guys?  I'm really curious as to what's going on, if there is any issue at all.

Your graphics score looks fine.  Your physics and combined scores are dragging your overall score down.  Don't EVER judge a GPU by the overall score.  Ever....  It's foolish as hell for the review sites to post overall firestrike scores when reviewing GPUs, but they almost always do....  Ignore them, look at the graphics score.  

Overclock that CPU, man....you'll be a lot happier.  

Valley, btw, is REALLY CPU dependent...the higher your core clock on the CPU is, the higher your score will be.  /wink

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Thanks for the insight.

Yeah I had it OC'd before, but the reformat and BIOS upgrade got rid of all my settings

So you're sure I've got nothing to worry about?

Just want to make sure I'm taking advantage of the card and that there's no problems because I'm gonna be putting it under water soon.

I wouldn't see any reason to worry.  The graphics score looks right about where it should be for those clocks.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

its the cpu, im getting 15k with an fe 1080 using a 4770. its that 9k physics score bringing us both down, where reviewers tend to be using 6700k and getting 20k there.

i get 9k and ~22k

Pretty sure his physics scores should StIll be better...

You did a format....So your Windows Power Profiles (Control Panel) are Likely defaulted....right?

Go to them, Set High Performance

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I got around the same score with that gpu need to OC my CPU, good to see some other person getting around the same score 

14 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Pretty sure his physics scores should StIll be better...

You did a format....So your Windows Power Profiles (Control Panel) are Likely defaulted....right?

Go to them, Set High Performance

Oh, solid recommendation. I'll look into that when I get home.

14 hours ago, LordLeewee said:

its the cpu, im getting 15k with an fe 1080 using a 4770. its that 9k physics score bringing us both down, where reviewers tend to be using 6700k and getting 20k there.

i get 9k and ~22k

Yeah I should OC, my CPU again. I think i'll get it back to where I was last time. I just needed a big chunk of time to stress test.

12 hours ago, IPROXGio said:

I got around the same score with that gpu need to OC my CPU, good to see some other person getting around the same score 

Yeah. Judging by everyone's comments, We're all around the same mark. It's a huge relief because I got a little scared for a minute there. Haha.

4770k should be getting around 11k cpu score, when you run firestrike make sure chrome is shut, it hogs the cpu, i know this, but 19k on your gpu, thats only 3k less than my 1080.

I ended up having to lower my GPU clock (without fine tuning) to 70/400+ to get stable in video games.

Also, I put my CPU back up to 4.4ghz stable.

I'll re-bench today and post so anyone who was in my position can see.

On 2 July 2016 at 1:02 AM, TheHappyJarhead said:

4770k should be getting around 11k cpu score, when you run firestrike make sure chrome is shut, it hogs the cpu, i know this, but 19k on your gpu, thats only 3k less than my 1080.

I got 22k on my 980ti today should the 1070 not be closer to that ? 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

• 4 weeks later...