Does the RX480 fail the PCIe standard?

Mr.Sane

It seems that the RX480 has some teething problems! It supposedly fails to keep up with the PCIe standard. If you want to see the video I made about it check my status since I can't post the link here.

LMG rules you know!

8 minutes ago, Mr.Sane said:

It seems that the RX480 has some teething problems! It supposedly fails to keep up with the PCIe standard. If you want to see the video I made about it check my status since I can't post the link here.

LMG rules you know!

Repost.

Raji from AMD did an AMA on Reddit yesterday and answered a question about this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/d4so3bn

Great question and I am really glad you asked.

We have extensive testing internally on our PCIE compliance and RX480 passed our testing. However we have received feedback from some of the reviewers on high current observed on PCIE in some cases. We are looking into these scenarios as we speak and reproduce these scenarios internally. Our engineering team is fully engaged.

All in all, to me this sounds more like a few faulty cards than a problem us users would have to worry about.

19 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

All in all, to me this sounds more like a few faulty cards than a problem us users would have to worry about.

Since tom's hardware post this issue in their review, has any other reviewers say anything about this? I would like to ask LTT staff's this question since Linus still have a sample card right? They maybe able to verify tom's hardware statement. If another reviewer doesn't have this issue then its most likely to be a faulty card.

On 30 June 2016 at 10:20 PM, Devin92 said:

Since tom's hardware post this issue in their review, has any other reviewers say anything about this? I would like to ask LTT staff's this question since Linus still have a sample card right? They maybe able to verify tom's hardware statement. If another reviewer doesn't have this issue then its most likely to be a faulty card.

To be clear, more than 1 user has this problem. In fact this problem has appeared in retail cards as well. Check out the reddit thread.

On 6/30/2016 at 0:29 PM, Naeaes said:

Great question and I am really glad you asked.

lol. I'll bet he was "glad". Poor guy. 

On 6/30/2016 at 0:50 PM, Devin92 said:

Pcper did a follow up. Good read. 

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

Yes, you're right on that regard. At the time of me making the video it was the only thread I could refer.

Hopefully, the problem can be addressed.

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT