Trying to use MineOS

Alright I have it all installed on the HDD and whatnot. I am at the point where I need to login to the MineOS Control panel but don't quite know how to setup my Username and Password for it.

Basically when I boot up on the server PC is there something else I need to do after getting the IP ect all done?

When I load up I get the option to go to the advance menu, I exit out and then it says

mineos-tkldev login:

When I put what I assumed this is to create the account for the MC control panel I can't type anything in the password spot. Kind of confused right now.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

whoops, ignore if you read what I had before.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

See, now the confusing part is when I got to put the root pass and mc pass, the option to give me the web-ui username and password does not come up. It takes me straight to asking about the API thing blah blahl.

so.. from experience... mineOS is a piece of garbage :/

if you insist on using mineOS, install ubuntu server, install mineOS on top, and add webmin as well for easy server management.

i'd also suggest to install htop if you're going to SSH into the box a lot. should note that when using putty or KiTTY as SSH client, htop basicly acts like a "graphical" task manager, allowing you to interact using the mouse, as well as your keyboard.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. from experience... mineOS is a piece of garbage :/

if you insist on using mineOS, install ubuntu server, install mineOS on top, and add webmin as well for easy server management.

i'd also suggest to install htop if you're going to SSH into the box a lot. should note that when using putty or KiTTY as SSH client, htop basicly acts like a "graphical" task manager, allowing you to interact using the mouse, as well as your keyboard.

I don't have to use it, confusing as hell as first time using this but do you have any better suggestions?

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I don't have to use it, confusing as hell as first time using this but do you have any better suggestions?

my suggestion is SSH, htop for system monitoring, and screen sessions to run your server(s) in.

the simpler your solution is, the less can go wrong. and for as holy as backup scripts can be, if they lock up at the wrong moment they can be pretty dang deadly if you dont realise in a timely manner.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my suggestion is SSH, htop for system monitoring, and screen sessions to run your server(s) in.

the simpler your solution is, the less can go wrong. and for as holy as backup scripts can be, if they lock up at the wrong moment they can be pretty dang deadly if you dont realise in a timely manner.

I will admit, I have very minimal knowledge and basically what you said just has me scratching my head.

Never have I messed with or used anything related to Linux.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I will admit, I have very minimal knowledge and basically what you said just has me scratching my head.

Never have I messed with or used anything related to Linux.

well, i'm guessing you understand the concept of SSH right? you have the server running, you use an SSH client (putty or kitty are my recommendations) to log into it, it dumps you at a command prompt (console) as if you were at the system itself.

htop is basicly task manager, but in the console. it's a rather scary program the first time you look at it because it has an overly abundance of information, but you get used to that, as well as full customizability allowing you to hide what you dont need to see, and make the UI more appealing to your liking.

screen is... i'm not sure how to explain. it basicly opens a console session inside your console session in which you can run a program (eg. your minecraft server) and connect and disconnect to the session without interrupting the program running.

so, for example if you'd launch minecraft with the command "java -jar -Xmx4G minecraft_server.jar nogui", you'd instead launch it with "screen -D minecraft java -jar -Xmx4G minecraft_server.jar nogui" (dont quote me on this one, it's most likely not 100% correct) and instead of being presented with the minecratf server console, it runs in the background, allowing you to "connect" to it using "screen -R minecraft" and once you've done your stuff you can disconnect with ctrl-a-d and leave it running like you never been there.

in fact this is what mineOS runs under the hood, as well as the very known forgecraft server(s) by pahimar, although mineOS is a bloated mess, and pahimar basicly integrated minecraft into the way linux does background services.

something i should note is that the specific way mineOS implements backups is INSANELY buggy for modded minecraft, and creates a wide range of easily reproducable dupes.

12 hours ago, manikyath said:

well, i'm guessing you understand the concept of SSH right? you have the server running, you use an SSH client (putty or kitty are my recommendations) to log into it, it dumps you at a command prompt (console) as if you were at the system itself.

htop is basicly task manager, but in the console. it's a rather scary program the first time you look at it because it has an overly abundance of information, but you get used to that, as well as full customizability allowing you to hide what you dont need to see, and make the UI more appealing to your liking.

screen is... i'm not sure how to explain. it basicly opens a console session inside your console session in which you can run a program (eg. your minecraft server) and connect and disconnect to the session without interrupting the program running.

so, for example if you'd launch minecraft with the command "java -jar -Xmx4G minecraft_server.jar nogui", you'd instead launch it with "screen -D minecraft java -jar -Xmx4G minecraft_server.jar nogui" (dont quote me on this one, it's most likely not 100% correct) and instead of being presented with the minecratf server console, it runs in the background, allowing you to "connect" to it using "screen -R minecraft" and once you've done your stuff you can disconnect with ctrl-a-d and leave it running like you never been there.

in fact this is what mineOS runs under the hood, as well as the very known forgecraft server(s) by pahimar, although mineOS is a bloated mess, and pahimar basicly integrated minecraft into the way linux does background services.

something i should note is that the specific way mineOS implements backups is INSANELY buggy for modded minecraft, and creates a wide range of easily reproducable dupes.

If I do end up using MineOS, i will not be using their backups anyways.

Though I will make an attempt at what you suggested.

16 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

If I do end up using MineOS, i will not be using their backups anyways.

Though I will make an attempt at what you suggested.

if you're not comfortable with it, mineOS will be good enough, just keep a close eye on it to make sure it's not doing anything funky.

i'd defenately not use the MineOS distro tho, if you want i'll guide you trough the process of installing ubuntu server with the necessary tools. (ubuntu server or debian, if i recall ubuntu server can be rather messy to get SSH working)

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you're not comfortable with it, mineOS will be good enough, just keep a close eye on it to make sure it's not doing anything funky.

i'd defenately not use the MineOS distro tho, if you want i'll guide you trough the process of installing ubuntu server with the necessary tools. (ubuntu server or debian, if i recall ubuntu server can be rather messy to get SSH working)

I'll work on it, I think I'll use MineOS and put it ontop of Ubuntu Server and try and use its "special" features to a minimal, if I ever decide to do it again and not on a somewhat time frame I will do it the other way, thanks and if I can't get it working I will quote you.

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

Ok, so I got Ubuntu Server installed and SSH working though I can't seem to get anything past that working.