RX480 a letdown?

Flowey

Well with amount of review flowing a putting it at a r9390x level, I'm wondering if this thing is still a letdown versus the what AMD claimed. I mean, sure the drivers are practicly fetus like at this point, and I expect the card to end up performing like max a 980 with mature drivers and all. So, is the overall a letdown or I'm just a bitch?

Thanks for your time!

The main issue I can see is the hype train, if you hype something as much as the 480 don't be surprised when reality disappoints. But currently it performs at 970 levels, nothing more. Could drivers fix this, maybe but that could take a while, and we don't know whether it will actually happen or not. This has burned amd in the past and it looks like it may again.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

nope, we expected 390/970/390x/980 performance and it hits the mark perfectly so...meh? (290X and 780ti plus 390X and 980...)

1 minute ago, molude said:

Also we have to take into consideration the OC capabilities of the non-reference cards.

That as well :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

For AMD fanboys yes. Oh wait, actually no, since it's a $200 card and how could we expect it to perform so well at that price point? Oh, we fools.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Anyway, it's a good card at a good price. It's not amazing, it's simply good.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I never expected it to reach 980 level performance but I didnt expect it to be that bad of a overclocker that barely keeps up with a 970, anyways I am biased since I have been using amd cards since 2010 (I hate them) but they still offer tremendous performance per dollar

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Well with amount of review flowing a putting it at a r9390x level, I'm wondering if this thing is still a letdown versus the what AMD claimed. I mean, sure the drivers are practicly fetus like at this point, and I expect the card to end up performing like max a 980 with mature drivers and all. So, is the overall a letdown or I'm just a bitch?

Thanks for your time!

You got caught in the hype. Ofc it was going to be a letdown.

I wish the hype was true, but I always had a feeling the 480 would be equal to a 970, maybe a tiny bit more / less. I didn't board the hype train and kept my expectations realistic. And that payed off pretty nicely: I don't really think the 480 is a letdown in the slightest.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The 480 is a letdown, the leaks and specifications made it appear to perform between a 390 and a 390x and the AOTS benchmark made it seem as though it would consume under 90w while running a benchmark like it. It's kind of like the 1080s 2144 at  67c on most cards but it's a bit more severe and matters more to people as it's something they may buy.

if it's anything like the past it will overtake the 980 in a couple of years anyways.

Performance is about where I expected it to be.

What disappointed me was the load draw through the pci-e slot. Was having a 8 pin so detrimental to AMD's vision that they couldn't stick to the standards! Come on AMD you're better than this... 

13 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

I wish the hype was true, but I always had a feeling the 480 would be equal to a 970, maybe a tiny bit more / less. I didn't board the hype train and kept my expectations realistic. And that payed off pretty nicely: I don't really think the 480 is a letdown in the slightest.

That is exactly the point, people went on a tangent thinking it would be comparable to the 980, but honestly all the informs given by AMD pointed at a rival for the 970 while being VR ready and cheaper, both things achieved. As for overclocking, the non reference cards will be what we have to look for.

As for the drivers, I highly doubt they will make much of a difference.

This is mighty no.9 all over again, is fine, I am sorry some people made up this dream in their head that they would get a 200-230 dollar gtx980 equivalent.

25 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

For AMD fanboys yes. Oh wait, actually no, since it's a $200 card and how could we expect it to perform so well at that price point? Oh, we fools.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Anyway, it's a good card at a good price. It's not amazing, it's simply good.

Execpt if you're in Portugal where it costs 350€...

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

1 hour ago, Fatelinha said:

Execpt if you're in Portugal where it costs 350€...

Wow, can't believe the price difference is so significant between different EU countries. Here in the Netherlands and Germany, the 8Gb version is 269 euro.

36 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Kinda but not really, I was expecting 390-390x performance really, I just hoped for better because I'd like more competition

Its a GTX 970+.

The + is for better DX 12 support and a bit better performance in newer titles. 

1 minute ago, The Spark said:

Its a GTX 970+.

The + is for better DX 12 support and a bit better performance in newer titles. 

Better DX12 support. Do you know what that means? Where it applies? Do you like console ports? xD 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Better DX12 support. Do you know what that means? Where it applies? Do you like console ports? xD 

Nope, I have no clue what it means actually. Its better at async computing whatever that is but I have read tons about it being better ... so it must be. Have you seen anything DX 12 related where Nvidia is better?

15 minutes ago, Deli said:

Wow, can't believe the price difference is so significant between different EU countries. Here in the Netherlands and Germany, the 8Gb version is 269 euro.

HAH, here in belgium its from 319 up to 329... 

Let's agree to disagree

1 minute ago, The Spark said:

Nope, I have no clue what it means actually. Its better at async computing whatever that is but I have read tons about it being better ... so it must be. Have you seen anything DX 12 related where Nvidia is better?

DX12 is just an API, and the features it carries are up to the developer to utilize. It's also dependent on having Windows 10, how many of the people talking about asynchronous compute have Windows 10 you think? Once the free upgrade is over, do you think they'll spend 120 bucks to switch? Right now Nvidia and AMD are both doing just fine, developers have no interest in ether, other than the obvious exception of the developers working with specific manufacturers.

Very long story told very quickly. Nether AMD nor Nvidia are going to have any issues with any games on the horizon that out of their control.  

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Portugal is a shitty tech country... 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 RAM is 40€ on the Island I live...

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

No, people just overhyped the card.

Stop buying into stupid marketing and lame rumors and everything will look just right.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The card is great for it's price and performs on par/better than an OC'ed 970.

Now whether you like it or not, that's because of the overhype.

End of story.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

2 minutes ago, KillDog said:

The card is great for it's price and performs on par/better than an OC'ed 970.

Now whether you like it or not, that's because of the overhype.

End of story.

Wait? It only matches a 970, last generations card, because of the hype? Sooo, if no one had hyped it, then what?