Rust on graphicscard

I just did my first watercooling loop and while filling it i noticed the first time i started the pump that my radiator was leaking

a bit of water dropped onto my graphicscard (the water is ekwb ek-ekoolant evo)

do i have to worry about rust?

i dried it immediatly and let it rest now for at least 24h

How can aluminum get rusty? Dude. Aluminum doesn't rust. GPU heatsinks are usually aluminum afaik.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Should be right if you dried it

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

How can aluminum get rusty? Dude. Aluminum doesn't rust. GPU heatsinks are usually aluminum afaik.

Challenge accepted.

On topic: You're fine. If everything is working well, then no worries. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

it was not on the aluminum

the water dropped onto the pcb

3 minutes ago, GustlMollath said:

it was not on the aluminum

the water dropped onto the pcb

As stated, as long as you dried it off prior to powering the system on, you'll be alright. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

4 minutes ago, derick90 said:

As stated, as long as you dried it off prior to powering the system on, you'll be alright. 

okay thanks

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Aluminium DOES rust. It is even VERY corrosive. (rusts very quickly) Ever heard of thermite (welding)? That's rust to the max...

However... The top layer of aluminium WILL rust, creating a top layer of oxidized aluminium. This layer or film, is a protection layer. The aluminium under this layer "will not rust". And about the layer of oxidized aluminium... That's why you have to polish aluminium that often.

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Aluminium DOES rust. It is even VERY corrosive. (rusts very quickly) Ever heard of thermite (welding)? That's rust to the max...

However... The top layer of aluminium WILL rust, creating a top layer of oxidized aluminium. This layer or film, is a protection layer. The aluminium under this layer "will not rust". And about the layer of oxidized aluminium... That's why you have to polish aluminium that often.

(Similar to patina on copper) But it doesnt oxidize as though iron/steel would. 

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Yep... Burning iron doesn't get the same results as thermite...

Yep... Burning iron doesn't get the same results as thermite...

If you're taking thermite to a PC, you have more issues than being concerned with rust, jus sayin. And i believe the issue was with water, not welding lol in which aluminum comes out the victor in any scenario. 

HeadsetLogitech G430  

25 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Aluminum does not rust. It corrodes, but does not rust. Google this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Fact remains that aluminium can and will rust. Just up to a certain depth.

5 minutes ago, derick90 said:

If you're taking thermite to a PC, you have more issues than being concerned with rust, jus sayin. And i believe the issue was with water, not welding lol in which aluminum comes out the victor in any scenario. 

yeah the issue was with the premix from ekwb onto the pcb of one of my graphicscards

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Aluminum does not rust. It corrodes, but does not rust. Google this.

http://metals.about.com/od/Corrosion/a/What-Is-Corrosion.htm

http://news.stanford.edu/pr/00/aluminum511.html

Quote of second link, found @ g00gle:

"But the fact is that pure aluminum reacts so readily with water that, according to the laws of chemistry, the aluminum shell of an airplane should actually dissolve in the rain. "

Corrosion is the interaction between a metal, and some other material, oxygen in the air being "some other material". Aluminium will react with oxygen, and if the temperature is high enough, and there is enough oxygen, you will get a huge ball of fire melting through almost anything. If you make a statement like that where I know you are wrong, please send me at least some kind of bogus/questionable link. (and if I made a typ0, at which you call me out on... You know what I tryed to say)

7 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

http://metals.about.com/od/Corrosion/a/What-Is-Corrosion.htm

http://news.stanford.edu/pr/00/aluminum511.html

Quote of second link, found @ g00gle:

"But the fact is that pure aluminum reacts so readily with water that, according to the laws of chemistry, the aluminum shell of an airplane should actually dissolve in the rain. "

Corrosion is the interaction between a metal, and some other material, oxygen in the air being "some other material". Aluminium will react with oxygen, and if the temperature is high enough, and there is enough oxygen, you will get a huge ball of fire melting through almost anything. If you make a statement like that where I know you are wrong, please send me at least some kind of bogus/questionable link. (and if I made a typ0, at which you call me out on... You know what I tryed to say)

You know... I'm not a physicist, but I'm pretty good at using Google. 5 seconds-long search concluded my research in the field and confirmed what I already knew.

Here are first three hits:

GjVBb4I.png

22 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Fact remains that aluminium can and will rust. Just up to a certain depth.

Not true.

Aluminuim does not contain iron,therefore cannot rust. Rust is Ferric Oxide,a byproduct of corrosion with ferrous metals,of which Aluminuim is not a part of.

Also,Alu is not corrosive,it reacts readily with oxygen but this does not make it a corrosive.

Please,read up on this before commenting.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Who the hell needs college when you have this... /thread

HeadsetLogitech G430  

I would consider this a language barrier. Word games. 95% of the people would call a corroded copper pipe, a rusty copper pipe. 4% would call it dirty, and 1% would call it a corroded copper pipe. Same goes for aluminium, with the side note that most people don't know about the corrosion process of aluminium.

I would consider this a language barrier. Word games. 95% of the people would call a corroded copper pipe, a rusty copper pipe. 4% would call it dirty, and 1% would call it a corroded copper pipe. Same goes for aluminium, with the side note that most people don't know about the corrosion process of aluminium.

Misnomers don't count. But no, most people would call it corroded. Never even heard of a "rusty copper pipe/rusty aluminum.

HeadsetLogitech G430  

>>> I would consider this a language barrier

On 28/06/2016 at 1:56 PM, Dutch-stoner said:

I would consider this you trying to swerve out of being wrong.

Take it like a man ffs and learn from it.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.