Controller For Pc  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which controller should I get

• Steam controller
    • xbox one/360 controller

looking for a windows controller 

which one should I get

Also is the steam controller wired?

I am very skeptical about the steam controller but using it to play some kb/m games seems very promising

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

I vote xbox 360 controller, the steam controller seems good in some applications but overall I'd never get it over a 360 controller unless I only wanted to play something like an rts and didn't have a keyboard and mouse available.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

the xbox one controllers are really nice, though I personally don't like the slimmer handles compared to the 360 controllers which fit in my hands perfectly, but the x1's controllers feel like they were made much better, but time will tell if they end up with the joysticks wiggling enough to create input or annoying issues like that that you get with a 360 controller. 
Haven't used a steam controller but they look like a pain

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I'd get the Steam Controller. It's comfortable and versatile, the trackpads are very good for most games (it has a stick for racing games and whatnot), and it's constantly getting new features and improvements.

If you're used to a 360 controller and get the SC, do be prepared to wish you had a 360 controller for a couple weeks. The learning curve isn't much, but getting used to it takes a little more time than most people give it.

Also, it can work wired or wirelessly.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

23 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I'd get the Steam Controller. It's comfortable and versatile, the trackpads are very good for most games (it has a stick for racing games and whatnot), and it's constantly getting new features and improvements.

If you're used to a 360 controller and get the SC, do be prepared to wish you had a 360 controller for a couple weeks. The learning curve isn't much, but getting used to it takes a little more time than most people give it.

Also, it can work wired or wirelessly.

could it replace a 360 controller in games that are optimized for a controller

like rocket league and others?

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Dualshock 4. Works wired, works over bluetooth, has the best D-pad, and by installing Input Mapper you also get the touchpad (which can actually be pretty handy), Xinput support, full rebinding and automatic profiles. I'd dare say there's no better pad for PC.

The Steam Controller, imo, is some kind of middle of the road freakazoid: it enables you to play games meant for keyboard/mouse on a sort of pad, but it's very much inferior, and it is also inferior to a traditional pad in games that are optimized for them; say Dark Souls, for instance, or a fighting game, or tight platforming games.  I like the idea of dual action triggers, though, but yeah... it's pretty much a jack of all trades, master of none. Also, try to press the X button without putting your hand in a very awkward position (unless you're a giant); it's like pressing start on the Dreamcast.

More like jack of NO trades, mediocre at all.

3 hours ago, crysilis said:

could it replace a 360 controller in games that are optimized for a controller

like rocket league and others?

I don't like how the camera works with the right pad in Rocket League, since it has incredibly aggressive auto-centering. I've found, however, that the more I play the less it bothers me... So I think that's just another thing to get used to.

The good thing about the SC for that game, however, is that I never have to move my hands. The paddles make it so you don't have to move your thumb around a button pad, so you can have immediate access to every movement control at all times.

You'll run into some games where it's a bit of a pain to get a good configuration going because they restrict the controls in some way, but Valve is making damned sure you have enough options to change that.

-One thing to note, however, is that I've heard it's actually not very good for fighting games that rely heavily on the Dpad.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I am using an XBOX 360 controller (will be upgrading to an XBOX one elite controller soon) for Dark Souls 3 and it's much easier to play that game with a controller since the game was optimized for controller usage.

23 hours ago, klefth said:

Dualshock 4. Works wired, works over bluetooth, has the best D-pad, and by installing Input Mapper you also get the touchpad (which can actually be pretty handy), Xinput support, full rebinding and automatic profiles. I'd dare say there's no better pad for PC.

The Steam Controller, imo, is some kind of middle of the road freakazoid: it enables you to play games meant for keyboard/mouse on a sort of pad, but it's very much inferior, and it is also inferior to a traditional pad in games that are optimized for them; say Dark Souls, for instance, or a fighting game, or tight platforming games.  I like the idea of dual action triggers, though, but yeah... it's pretty much a jack of all trades, master of none. Also, try to press the X button without putting your hand in a very awkward position (unless you're a giant); it's like pressing start on the Dreamcast.

More like jack of NO trades, mediocre at all.

so If i just want it to play games that are optimized for controller just go with the 360?

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

1 minute ago, crysilis said:

so If i just want it to play games that are optimized for controller just go with the 360?

Sure. I like the 360 one better than the Xbone controller, too. It's more comfortable and has much better shoulder buttons.

1 minute ago, klefth said:

Sure. I like the 360 one better than the Xbone controller, too. It's more comfortable and has much better shoulder buttons.

Okay thanks for your opinion

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

as someone with a steam con xb360 xbo and DS4 for my PC

1st and foremost xbox ocontroller (imo xbox one) 

Steam as a backup controller UNLESS you have a situation where you are rarely at a desk and kb/m is inconvenient then steam con.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit