Bandwidth of 2.4ghz wifi?

Moonzy

Recently I was transferring files within my local network through my Asus RT-N56U router

im using homegroup sharing method to do so

within the network, there's only my desktop, laptop and phone connected, and the router is merely an access point

i found that the maximum speed is around 40-45Mbps (5MBps), which is quite slow

the signal strength is fine, but my laptop is kind of old and aging (Asus N55sf)

so i was wondering if my bandwidth would be better if i switched the internal wifi card, or that would yield no difference whatsoever

the reason i want more bandwidth is due to my steam in-home streaming service isnt working well with ROTR (Rise of the Tomb Raider), but it's working fine with other games

i'm streaming from my desktop to my laptop btw :D

i tried turning the graphics preset to medium to see if it was a load issue, but my desktop is running it smoothly (even on high) while my laptop is having delay and stuttery issues

while only consuming 20~25Mbps (based on task manager)

also, having a higher bandwidth means i can transfer files much faster from my laptop to my desktop without going through a pen drive or an ext HDD, which will help a lot

thanks in advance

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2.4 GHz is not a measure of bandwidth, its a measure of channel frequency. Higher frequencies allow for higher potential bandwidth, but at a lower signal strength. and whatever frequency you want to use needs to be supported by both your sending and receiving components.

Aside from that, if you're having issues then what Markiplier said is probably the best way to go. Upgrade your wifi bandwidth by upgrading to a USB wifi connection. Most laptops wifi are not designed with in home streaming in mind

27 minutes ago, Markiplier said:

@Moonzy What is the Maximum Speed of Your Router to The Internet http://www.speedtest.net/

And the fastest connection is through ethernet

For longer distances and older laptops a usb 3.0 to wifi can greatly improve speed

Using the 2.0 port won't

my subscription is 10Mbps, (about 1.2MBps), but i dont think it matters since im working with local network transfering, or steam somehow uses the internet to do it's streaming (which is weird)

well having a big stick permanently hogging one of my two usb 3.0 ports isnt an elegant solution that i would prefer to avoid if possible, thus why im considering upgrading my internal wifi card

besides, usb wifi dongle are infamous for being unstable

distance isnt a factor as the router is in my room with nothing blocking in between it and my laptop, but a LAN cable is not possible as i'm across the room and having an extra cable routing through my room is not elegant

18 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

2.4 GHz is not a measure of bandwidth, its a measure of channel frequency. Higher frequencies allow for higher potential bandwidth, but at a lower signal strength. and whatever frequency you want to use needs to be supported by both your sending and receiving components.

Aside from that, if you're having issues then what Markiplier said is probably the best way to go. Upgrade your wifi bandwidth by upgrading to a USB wifi connection. Most laptops wifi are not designed with in home streaming in mind

yes, im well aware that 2.4ghz isnt a measure of bandwidth, but i've heard that 5ghz have higher bandwidth compared to 2.4ghz and was wondering if my wifi was hitting the 2.4ghz bandwidth limit (mine hovers around 40~45 Mbps), or it's my internal wifi card, my router shouldnt be an issue as it is ADVERTISED to deliver much higher speed than that (though it's a dual channel router, so im wondering if i'll only get that speed on 5ghz)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

my subscription is 10Mbps, (about 1.2MBps), but i dont think it matters since im working with local network transfering, or steam somehow uses the internet to do it's streaming (which is weird)

well having a big stick permanently hogging one of my two usb 3.0 ports isnt an elegant solution that i would prefer to avoid if possible, thus why im considering upgrading my internal wifi card

besides, usb wifi dongle are infamous for being unstable

distance isnt a factor as the router is in my room with nothing blocking in between it and my laptop, but a LAN cable is not possible as i'm across the room and having an extra cable routing through my room is not elegant

yes, im well aware that 2.4ghz isnt a measure of bandwidth, but i've heard that 5ghz have higher bandwidth compared to 2.4ghz and was wondering if my wifi was hitting the 2.4ghz bandwidth limit (mine hovers around 40~45 Mbps), or it's my internal wifi card, my router shouldnt be an issue as it is ADVERTISED to deliver much higher speed than that (though it's a dual channel router, so im wondering if i'll only get that speed on 5ghz)

Transfering Files on A Network Without Direct Connection Means the file is being uploaded and downloaded. So your upload speed is slower, and if thats not the case streaming on the computer is also taking up bandwith

If you can upgrade your laptops internal Wifi, that is certainly an option. I didn't mean to say that you NEED a usb dongle, but rather that you probably want to upgrade your laptop wifi if you want to increase your bandwidth.

Although in my experience, wifi never is able to give its rated transfer speeds. I honestly don't know where they get the numbers from as its usually not very close. on Ethernet I can pull up to 200 Mbps when downloading games. When using a USB wifi that claims to support up to 433 Mbps, i often only get around 15 Mbps....

And yes, 5GHz does allow for better bandwidth than 2.4 GHz, although 2.4 should still have headroom left if you're only getting 40Mbps (but this can change depending on your Wifi card)