Video camera kit

Hi everyone.  A friend said there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here who can help me on buying a camera and accessories.  I manage a small nonprofit news gathering agency and recently our cameraman quit taking all of his gear so we have been forced into using one of our colleague's personal camcorder to record videos.  Because of that we have decided to buy our own filming kit and do things ourselves until we recruit a new cameraman, which we don't know when.  So can those knowledgeable and helpful people recommend some cameras along with accessories like microphones and lights?  We need a camera that's easy to use, can record decent hd video and last us quite a while.

Cheers,

Vicky

It will help people recommend you stuff if you disclose a budget, also what kind of camera are you used to working with?

We have currently allocated $5000 for the budget.  Out ex-cameraman was using something from JVC, I don't know the exact model.

Hello Vicky, welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us your budget?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

43 minutes ago, Vicky99 said:

We have currently allocated $5000 for the budget.

$5000 can get you a lot, depending on what you want and how you want to work.

Your basic starting options, which mostly cost under $1000.00 - $1500.00

1. Buy a camcorder.  Modern camcorders are pretty advanced and you get nearly everything in a single package.  However not much room for adding extra accessories like lights and microphones, since the type of filming you do I guess requires that. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorders/ci/1871/N/4294548093
  2. DSLR/Mirrorless with something like a Rode VideoMic.  Can be pretty small and easy to carry around.  But adding accessories requires some assembly, so if you're in a rush it is not really suitable.  Which is why I quit using a DSLR for my ENG work.  I proper video camera was easier to keep in a bag pretty much everything pre-assembled and start working fast as soon as it's out of the bag. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ntt=video&refineSearchString=&ci=9811&N=4288586282

Then you have some advanced options, which most likely start costing you more than $1000.00

• You can go for professional camcorders, which are a step up above consumer camcorders.  Examples of cameras in this category include models like the Sony NX100, Canon XA10, JVC HM170.  Many more are listed here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=1881&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4256818814&srtclk=sort
  • Then you have the more advanced cameras, with interchangeable lens systems and somewhat (relatively speaking) advanced features.  Examples of cameras include the Canon C100, Sony NEX VG30, BM Ursa Mini, etc.

The advantage of consumer camcorders is that the microphone is integrated, and of somewhat better quality compared to the integrated mics in DSLR/Mirrorless cameras.  With more advanced/professional camcorders and DSLR/Mirrorless setups it is always recommended to mount an external mic.  Cameras with interchangeable lens systems lets you use different lenses.

Additionally do you want 1080p only or do you want the option of 4K.  While in my opinion ENG work might not require 4K for quite a while yet, having a camera capable of 4K might be useful.  Let me explain why:

• For ENG work, if you're doing live broadcasts, streaming or need to be fast in the delivery time between filming, editing and sending out the footage to whoever/wherever is needed, you don't need more than 1080p.  4K uses up precious time and resources.
  • But 4K cameras are capable of recording 1080p, so if you have a 4K camera the advantage can be that when you need to film something at a leisurely pace, some sort of project where the schedule is not rushed, you can record in nice 4K quality and take your time making it look nice.  But of course, there is a cost to working in 4K.  You will need a more powerful video editing machine and definitely more storage space to archive 4K footage.

With audio for ENG work, I use three types of mics.  So which ones do you need?

• A shotgun that's usually mounted on camera
  • A wireless lav system
  • A wired/wireless handheld mic

Now for lights, what kind of lights do you want?

1. Fixed studio lights
  2. Portable studio style lights
  3. On-camera lights

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

ALwin, thank you for your reply.  It gives us some ideas of what is available, but I need to be a more specific with what we want.

We do not want a camcorder or DSLR.  We want a proper video camera where we can cable shotgun microphones, wireless mics and handheld mics.  In the links you posted I see that the proper video cameras can attach up to two microphones, is there any way to attach more if we need to?

For the lights, we already have studio lights even though we don't have a studio.  We have a room that doubles as a meeting room and ad hoc studio.  So what we want for now is just on camera lights.

You also bring up live broadcasting and streaming, do you know of any solutions that does not require us to have a satellite van?

Also I think 4K might be interesting for us to have.  As long as it doesn't break our budget.  However if you can recommend a good kit and it costs over $5000, we will discuss it with our donors if they are willing to give us a grant.  Can you recommend us a good camera?

8 minutes ago, Vicky99 said:

snip

OK let me reply to you point by point.

• I wouldn't really recommend you get a DSLR/Mirrorless or consumer camcorder either.  Not for professional ENG work.
  • I know of two ways to attach more than two mics to a camera:
    • Some camera manufacturers have an accessory that adds two additional mic inputs to to a camera.
    • Otherwise, you need to use an external recorder/mixer and feed the audio from that device to the camera.
  • You can buy a small LED panel that can be mounted onto a camera's shoe.
  • I can recommend two methods for live streaming to a media server, both require a mobile internet connection.  I also think these solutions will work with broadcasting agencies who have a media server to which you can upload the stream:
    • Using a video capture card, connect the camera to a laptop which has an internet connection (e.g. mobile phone hotspot) and using a software such as OBS or Wirecast.
    • Using a device mounted on camera or strapped somewhere.  Examples of devices include Livestream Broadcaster Pro and Teradek Bond products.  They will require USB 3/4G modems and subscription.  You can use these devices and software to stream to services such as YouTube, Facebook Live, or custom RTMP servers.

I forgot to mention, it would be convenient for me or any of my colleagues who will use the camera if it can be held on a shoulder.

The suggestions you've provided for the live streaming and broadcasting are interesting.  Do you have any examples of how the quality will be like?  And also can you show me some examples of the accessories for attaching more than 2 mics to a camera?  I also forgot to mention, we need at least one good shotgun, maybe 1 or 2 handheld mics and how much are a good set of wireless mics?

You mentioned you do ENG work, can I ask where and for whom?  And can you tell me what kind of kit you use?

Look up Canon xf205 and xf305.

If you're doing live stream over SDI, you'd need the xx5 cameras. If not, the xx0 are identical, just without SDI.

I use them for ENG at work all the time. Love the 305 for it's ease of use.

For live broadcast, we use the black magic SDI/HDMI thunderbolt converter and stream over a Mac using different ISP depending on the location.

3 minutes ago, Evanair said:

If you're doing live stream over SDI, you'd need the xx5 cameras. If not, the xx0 are identical, just without SDI.

You may want to check prices again, there are other camera options that cost less than the XF205.  Not that those cameras aren't good.  But they are already using up more than 50% of Vicky's budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Pro-Camcorders-Cameras/ci/1881/N/4256818814

Good wireless Lav kits are 500 each, wired for backup are about 200. A shotgun for the camera would be about 350. Depending on where they are planning to shoot (outdoor vs indoor) a reflector and a good camera light won't cost more than 500 in total.

With that in mind, I don't see any reason not to spend more than half the budget on a camera that has all the features they will need without sacrificing quality or usability. And if they don't require an SDI connection and just need HDMI, then the prices are cut by a grand.

39 minutes ago, Vicky99 said:

snip

Ok Vicky, let me recommend you a kit and you tell me if you like it or prefer something else.

There is one issue with the camera, of you want to mount it on a shoulder you need to buy a shoulder kit.  Cameras designed for shoulder mounting tend to be larger and can somewhat be older designs/models.  More modern cameras designed to be shoulder mountable can be more expensive (e.g. my FS7) and can be slightly compact in design (especially the models that are within your budget).  EFP and Broadcast cameras designed with shoulder mounting in mind cost way over your budget.  You have some options in the Digital Cinema camera line, but you most likely will go over $5000.00.

The X70 is 4K ready, it has HDMI and SDI out ports.

The kit I just listed above costs around $3500.00 on B&H.  Giving you $1500.00 remaining to spend on additional accessories like spare batteries, memory cards, cables, etc.

For connecting more than two mics:

• Sony has an accessory like this ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892383-REG/Sony_xlr_k1m_XLR_Adapter_Microphone_Kit.html ) which attaches to the camera via the multi-interface shoe. Not sure if the X70 has such a shoe.  The XLR adapter adds two additional XLR ports.
  • Otherwise you need an external recorder like a Zoom H6 which has 4 XLR ports.  You can connect all four mics to the H6, or two to the camera and two to the H6.  Record some of the audio externally and sync in post.  For live broadcasting with more than two mics, you need to feed the audio being recorded by the H6 to the camera.

For my live streaming/broadcasting setup, I feed the SDI/HDMI output of my camera to BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder which is connected via Thunderbolt to my MacBook Pro.  I use Wirecast as the streaming software.  Quality depends on the resolution being output from the camera via the HDMI/SDI connection, and the resolution supported by the streaming service.  For example, Facebook live is not 1080p, not even proper 720p.

Examples of video quality when streaming to YouTube and Facebook.  I work as a freelancer in Switzerland, for the United Nations system.

20 minutes ago, Evanair said:

With that in mind, I don't see any reason not to spend more than half the budget on a camera that has all the features they will need without sacrificing quality or usability. And if they don't require an SDI connection and just need HDMI, then the prices are cut by a grand.

Look up Sony PXW-X70, costs just under $2500 and has both SDI and HDMI out, with a 1" sensor and can film 4K (if you buy the 4K upgrade license).

@Vicky99

This is my camera kit (what I normally carry in my bag as a standard setuo)

• Sony PXW FS7 with a Zacuto universal VCT shoulder mount kit
  • Sennheiser MKH 416 shotgun
  • Rode Reporter handheld mic
  • Sennheiser EW 100 G3 lav system
  • Sony 18-105 OSS lens
  • several 128GB memory cards, several batteries
  • MacBook Pro
  • Black Magic UltraStudio Mini Recorder
  • an assortment of cables

27 minutes ago, Evanair said:

For live broadcast, we use the black magic SDI/HDMI thunderbolt converter and stream over a Mac using different ISP depending on the location.

What about mics and other accessories?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026351-REG/sony_uwp_v6_dual_wireless_eng.html

This is the kits we use at work. Contains everything you need for both lavs and stick mics.

I forgot which mic we use on the camera though, I haven't had to mess with it in a while.

As for the Sony Camera posted above, there are 2 major things I would say is a downside to it.

1) it doesn't have rings for iris, focus, and zoom independent of each other.

2) ND filter, or rather lack of one. 

Also, for the OP, do you need SDI? The major benifit is being able to do long cable runs between  the capture point and the camera

Thank you ALwin, Evanair.  I'll look at the links you've provided and the live stream examples.

5 minutes ago, Evanair said:

As for the Sony Camera posted above, there are 2 major things I would say is a downside to it.

1) it doesn't have rings for iris, focus, and zoom independent of each other.

2) ND filter, or rather lack of one. 

You make a good point, this didn't cross my mind.  Was too focused on trying to get everything within Vicky's budget with spare cash for extra accessories.

@Vicky99

I would also recommend this camera instead of the PXW X70.  It adds about an extra $700.00 to the cost, which still gives you around $800.00 spare instead of $1500.00

The Sony PXW Z150

For the moment I don't think we will be running long cables and our agency haven't done any live broadcasts.  We go out, record, edit and offer our footage to various TV stations.  Live broadcasting is something we would like to do and the Livestream Broadcast device that ALwin linked seems to be an interesting solution.

@ALwin, @Evanair, thank you to both of you.  You both have brought up good points and suggestions.  How about this,

• Sony PXW Z150 for the camera, I selected this because it offers 4K, and control rings for the lens and has built in ND filters which are important.  Also because it is slightly cheaper than the Canons.
  • Rode NTG4+ for the shotgun mic
  • The Sony lav kit that Evanair linked, because it comes with a handheld mic already included and two wireless systems if I am looking at the description on B&H correctly.
  • The AlphaTron lights as suggested by ALwin

This totals about $5112 on B&H.

This still leaves me with figuring out how to do live broadcasts.  Extra microphone connections are not urgent for now.

7 minutes ago, Vicky99 said:

This totals about $5112 on B&H.

I can also recommend these cameras, which are cheaper.   The reasons I kept recommending Sony was due to the larger 1" sensor size, 4K recording, and the multi interface hotshoe which lets you use the Sony XLR adapter (K1M and K2M).

Honestly I think trying to control more than two mics on a single camera is pointless (unless you have a sound person).  It's not like everyone is going to be talking at the same time.

As for broadcasting, if you have a MacBook pro with a dedicated GPU then use OBS for the software and BM UltraStudio Mini Recorder as the capture card.  Or if you have a Windows laptop with a dedicated GPU, OBS and a video capture card.  Use an SDI or HDMI connection.  Of course, this is not meant for solo shooters.

By the way, do you already have a tripod?

The Black magic Adapter is he way to go with a Mac laptop. Works wonderfully.

That Sony camera is great, we use to use the old DV cameras before we switched to Canon. 

Don't forget to get a nice set of headphones that completely cover the ear if you're going to be doing audio. Bad video is manageable... bad audio kills anything.

I will discuss the cameras, accessories and live broadcasting solution with the team tomorrow.  We already have a tripod, an old one that is still in good  working condition.  When we send out our camera crew, it is at least 3 people.  Myself as the anchor, the cameraman and an assistant. And we do have a MacBook Pro, 15 inch from 2013.  It is our editing machine.  We also have some good headphones.

Once again, @ALwin and @Evanair, thank you for your help.  After discussing we are inclined to go ahead with the Sony PXW Z150.  We are also going to meet with the city council to see if we can find some extra funding, since we don't have a cameraman yet I hope we can redirect some budget lines.

ALwin, you use the FS7 for ENG work?  I looked up the camera on google and it looks like a great camera.  Can you tell us your thoughts about using it for ENG, and if you have comments about the FS5?