Using SSD as only storage device.

deWaardt

Hi all,

I've recently ordered a new laptop with an SSD, but it only has an SSD.

I'm planning on later putting an extra HDD if the storage space is not enough, but my main question is, is it a good idea to use an SSD as only storage device?

I mean as in longetivity, a mechanical hard drive can last for years and years before failing, but how is that for an SSD?

If it's used for both the OS, school work and games, could it wear down the drive prematurely?

How much use do you think I can get out of it if I use it everyday for around 8 hours? Because that's what school is gonna do to it.

2 minutes ago, Molten said:

SSDs can last ages :)

So I should be fine using the SSD as only drive? It will be read and written to a lot

A typical SSD drive can handle maybe 100,000 rewrites, so with wear leveling, a 250 gb SSD can handle about a total 25 petabytes of writing.

SSD's have no moving parts so generally last longer than most hard drives

Just now, xentropa said:

A typical SSD drive can handle maybe 100,000 rewrites, so with wear leveling, a 250 gb SSD can handle about a total 25 petabytes of writing.

ehm... no, not that much, but still way more than any normal user could ever write :)

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

ran-write.gif

even the best ssds (3k & 840 pro) could only handle 2-2,5 PB of writes :)
this is consumer drives only ofc, enterprise ssds would last even longer

and if you're wondering why the 850 pro and evo are not on the chart: the endurance test took so long to complete that by the time the last ssd died there were newer versions (850 pro and evo)

24 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Hi all,

I've recently ordered a new laptop with an SSD, but it only has an SSD.

I'm planning on later putting an extra HDD if the storage space is not enough, but my main question is, is it a good idea to use an SSD as only storage device?

I mean as in longetivity, a mechanical hard drive can last for years and years before failing, but how is that for an SSD?

If it's used for both the OS, school work and games, could it wear down the drive prematurely?

How much use do you think I can get out of it if I use it everyday for around 8 hours? Because that's what school is gonna do to it.

Well the Samsung 850 pro has a 10 year warranty mate, longevity, i think so mate. 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

13 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Well the Samsung 850 pro has a 10 year warranty mate, longevity, i think so mate. 

Well damn, I bought a Lenovo y700 with 256gb ssd.

I have no clue what kind of SSD is in that thing, couldn't find it on the spec list.

26 minutes ago, mikat said:

ehm... no, not that much, but still way more than any normal user could ever write :)

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

ran-write.gif

even the best ssds (3k & 840 pro) could only handle 2-2,5 PB of writes :)
this is consumer drives only ofc, enterprise ssds would last even longer

and if you're wondering why the 850 pro and evo are not on the chart: the endurance test took so long to complete that by the time the last ssd died there were newer versions (850 pro and evo)

Geez

So I should be more than fine? The SSD has to last 4 years, it could do that without an issue I guess?

I've been using SSD only storage for years now, it will last for a long time.

5 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Well damn, I bought a Lenovo y700 with 256gb ssd.

I have no clue what kind of SSD is in that thing, couldn't find it on the spec list.

Geez

So I should be more than fine? The SSD has to last 4 years, it could do that without an issue I guess?

Yo man ripe your laptop open, the ssd branding should be on it or just look it up from system information on windows, i think it shows that or something, ik there is a way but i forgot.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

54 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

~snip~

Hey :)

My two cents on this:
SSDs are quite durable if you treat them properly. I wouldn't imagine you would be writing hundreds of GBs every day or have static electricity all around the laptop constantly. As long as you don't defrag the SSD and keep TRIM on you should be perfectly fine in terms of lifespan. 
Depending on what NAND cells is the SSD using (TLC or MLC) you may have different expected lifespan, but you are far more likely to encounter other problems such as connection issues, other parts failing or simply upgrading to a better storage or a laptop far sooner than reaching the lifespan of a regular SSD with regular consumer usage. 

As long as you keep backups of your important work you should be completely safe. :) 

If you need more info or details regarding this topic I'd be happy to help! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/