Overclocking - How Much Does Motherboard Matter?

Hello fellow LTTers,

I'm looking to put together a new Broadwell-E system with a 6900K, and overclock it. I know that more power phases on a motherboard = cleaner power delivery... But I have no idea what kind of effect that will have at my level of CPU cooling.

I have a custom water loop that will be running an overclocked GTX 1080, and (as mentioned) an overclocked i7-6900K. My loop consists of an EK Evo Supremacy CPU block, and two EK Coolstream radiators (240mmx40mm, 360mmx60mm). Does anyone know how much effect going with something like the ASUS Rampage V Extreme VS something much less expensive like the ASUS X99-A would have on an overclock?

Not much in this case. X99 is such a high-end platform that you can freely get the ASUS X99-A and it will handle overclocks basically the same as the Rampage V.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

i pretty much agree with Morgan...even the cheapest X99 motherboards don't use like chineese caps and 4+1 power phase vrm and low end stuff like that...your overclocking headroom with this platform pretty much only lies in the silicon lottery of the CPU itself rather than anything else surrounding the CPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Cooler temperatures and more stable power (VRM's+chokes) = higher overclock. Also silicon lottery. Quality of the chokes can affect OC even if there are 8+ if they're shotty quality your OC will suffer. ASUS is a reputable brand so I wouldn't worry plus these are high end boards. I'd go with the ASUS X99A. At this price point the extreme edition board is more expensive due to features not the quality of components (in comparison to the ASUS X99A)

37 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

Hello fellow LTTers,

I'm looking to put together a new Broadwell-E system with a 6900K, and overclock it. I know that more power phases on a motherboard = cleaner power delivery... But I have no idea what kind of effect that will have at my level of CPU cooling.

I have a custom water loop that will be running an overclocked GTX 1080, and (as mentioned) an overclocked i7-6900K. My loop consists of an EK Evo Supremacy CPU block, and two EK Coolstream radiators (240mmx40mm, 360mmx60mm). Does anyone know how much effect going with something like the ASUS Rampage V Extreme VS something much less expensive like the ASUS X99-A would have on an overclock?

Make sure that when purchasing your motherboard it supports overclocking. In most cases it will but some of those cheap fishy China ones (eBay ones) don't and you're lost there if so.

1 hour ago, DawN the 13 year old said:

Make sure that when purchasing your motherboard it supports overclocking. In most cases it will but some of those cheap fishy China ones (eBay ones) don't and you're lost there if so.

Yes... All those X99 boards that don't support overclocking... 

O.o

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i pretty much agree with Morgan...even the cheapest X99 motherboards don't use like chineese caps and 4+1 power phase vrm and low end stuff like that...your overclocking headroom with this platform pretty much only lies in the silicon lottery of the CPU itself rather than anything else surrounding the CPU.

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Cooler temperatures and more stable power (VRM's+chokes) = higher overclock. Also silicon lottery. Quality of the chokes can affect OC even if there are 8+ if they're shotty quality your OC will suffer. ASUS is a reputable brand so I wouldn't worry plus these are high end boards. I'd go with the ASUS X99A. At this price point the extreme edition board is more expensive due to features not the quality of components (in comparison to the ASUS X99A)

Thanks for the info guys!