Do drives have to be plugged into the controller to create a hardware raid?

Go to solution Solved by Jacktastic-Mofo,
1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

So i'm fairly new to RAID. I've never done a hardware RAID before and I was wondering if I had a raid controller, do they have to be plugged into the sata ports on the controller in order to create the RAID? Sorry if this is a bad question. 

Most motherboards have a basic RAID controller that you can setup in their BIOS, however PLEASE be careful with RAID especially if you're new to RAID, DO NOT store any critical data on the drives with RAID until you've learned what you're doing.

Also all drives you want to RAID should be plugged into the same controller, so like if you have a RAID card plug the drives into that, if you're just using your motherboard put those drives onto your motherboard.

So i'm fairly new to RAID. I've never done a hardware RAID before and I was wondering if I had a raid controller, do they have to be plugged into the sata ports on the controller in order to create the RAID? Sorry if this is a bad question. 

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

Most motherboards have a basic RAID controller that you can setup in their BIOS, however PLEASE be careful with RAID especially if you're new to RAID, DO NOT store any critical data on the drives with RAID until you've learned what you're doing.

Also all drives you want to RAID should be plugged into the same controller, so like if you have a RAID card plug the drives into that, if you're just using your motherboard put those drives onto your motherboard.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Thank you! I understand completely. I have implemented a few software RAID's in my own system and feel fairly comfortable. I just really want to learn how to implement RAID for things like work and personal home use. Thank you though!