GTX 1080 vs GTX 980ti SLI

flameprincess2000

About a month and a half ago I sold my 980 ti EVGA Classified to upgrade to the GTX 1080 EVGA Classified since sales for the 980 ti were dropping like crazy, so I planned on getting the GTX 1080 Classified but, it's yet to be released... and I'm not sure if it's worth the wait due to the limits of the GTX 1080's power draw.

Basically, I can get a GTX 1080 for $700 or GTX 980 ti SLI for $800ish

Also, is it worth the wait for Classified? (I could go Hydro as well... since I've heard it's good)

3 minutes ago, flameprincess2000 said:

About a month and a half ago I sold my 980 ti EVGA Classified to upgrade to the GTX 1080 EVGA Classified since sales for the 980 ti were dropping like crazy, so I planned on getting the GTX 1080 Classified but, it's yet to be released... and I'm not sure if it's worth the wait due to the limits of the GTX 1080's power draw.

Basically, I can get a GTX 1080 for $700 or GTX 980 ti SLI for $800ish

Also, is it worth the wait for Classified? (I could go Hydro as well... since I've heard it's good)

Wait for the 1080 Classified. You will be happy with the wait once its over!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

a 980ti sli will be WAY faster than a single 1080

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

Never go for a multi GPU configuration over a single graphics card. But I wouldn't get a Classy ether.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

sli would probably help in multi monitor setup, but you are looking at equally good GPUs. 

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Never go for a multi GPU configuration over a single graphics card. But I wouldn't get a Classy ether.

Normally I agree but I think this is a case where 980TI SLI would still be okay. A decent 980TI isn't far from the 1080 yet the price difference is there. I think this would be a much easier option if you still had your original classified. Still though, 980TI SLI is gonna be much better than a single 1080. I agree with not going with classified cards though, simply not worth it.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

8 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Wait for the 1080 Classified. You will be happy with the wait once its over!

8 hours ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

a 980ti sli will be WAY faster than a single 1080

8 hours ago, App4that said:

5 hours ago, blnswamy said:

sli would probably help in multi monitor setup, but you are looking at equally good GPUs. 

5 hours ago, Kryptyx said:

Normally I agree but I think this is a case where 980TI SLI would still be okay. A decent 980TI isn't far from the 1080 yet the price difference is there. I think this would be a much easier option if you still had your original classified. Still though, 980TI SLI is gonna be much better than a single 1080. I agree with not going with classified cards though, simply not worth it.

Now I just got mixed responses... lol

I'm really not sure what to do. 

I should go with GTX 1070 sli instead of the 980ti sli

11 hours ago, flameprincess2000 said:

Now I just got mixed responses... lol

I'm really not sure what to do. 

I should go with GTX 1070 sli instead of the 980ti sli

probably the reason you should just decide what is best for you.. and not consider seeking advice from others... :):P:D:P:P 

My 980tis in Sli get 38k in firestrike 

ain't no 1080 doing that

6gb of v ram is still loads for 4K and 1440p

its such a Hughes performance boost over a 1080

worst case senario Ul buy one game that doesn't support Sli and one 980ti will destroy the shit out of it anyways

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Yeah, 1070 SLI sounds about right for you. A single 1080 is a great option, though.

I have 980ti SLI, and it is/will be better than a single 1080 hands down.

But of course you have SLI problems like driver issues, stuttering some places, heat, scaling, etc.

If you already had 1 980ti I'd say SLI is a decent upgrade path given their secondhand prices, but if you're starting from scratch always choose the single card solution.  

15 minutes ago, SSL said:

The 1080 isn't limited by either power draw or thermals.

Bull shit xD 

The 1080 is limited to 1.25v, my reference PCB 980ti has .9v available to add. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Bull shit xD 

The 1080 is limited to 1.25v, my reference PCB 980ti has .9v available to add. 

Not a power limitation.

5 hours ago, blnswamy said:

Or seek advice from others and take it into account while making your decision.

8 minutes ago, SSL said:

Not a power limitation.

A heat limitation xD 

The voltage is capped so low because Pascal runs hotter than Maxwell. Look at the 1080 Gamer Nexus put the AIO off a Hybrid on. 

You're wrong.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

A heat limitation xD 

The voltage is capped so low because Pascal runs hotter than Maxwell. Look at the 1080 Gamer Nexus put the AIO off a Hybrid on. 

You're wrong.

Well is it power or heat? Make up your mind.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Well is it power or heat? Make up your mind.

I'd say you must be new here, but unless you're borrowing that account the post volume speaks to otherwise.

Same thing. You should know that.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I'd say you must be new here, but unless you're borrowing that account the post volume speaks to otherwise.

Same thing. You should know that.

Know what? You still haven't touched on the actual limitation here (not heat, not power).

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Know what? You still haven't touched on the actual limitation here (not heat, not power).

What!?! Pascal is limited in the power you can push through the card, because of the issue with heat. Maxwell isn't capped. Why they work great for playing with LN2. Your statement was incorrect. 

What!?! Pascal is limited in the power you can push through the card, because of the issue with heat. Maxwell isn't capped. Why they work great for playing with LN2. Your statement was incorrect. 

No and no. The limitation here is reached well before either the thermal or power envelope is breached.

But please, continue to assert that I am "incorrect".

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

No and no. The limitation here is reached well before either the thermal or power envelope is breached.

But please, continue to assert that I am "incorrect".

I rarely ask this, but are you high? 

Notice the AIB cards don't overclock much farther than a FE? Even though they have much better power delivery? It's because they are capped at 1.25v

36 minutes ago, App4that said:

I rarely ask this, but are you high? 

Notice the AIB cards don't overclock much farther than a FE? Even though they have much better power delivery? It's because they are capped at 1.25v

Exactly. Which is why thermals and power are not the main issues here.

And no, I'm not high, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Exactly. Which is why thermals and power are not the main issues here.

And no, I'm not high, unfortunately.

*sigh* 

Moving to 16nm increases the transistor density, that means the heats is harder to dissipate. Take a blow torch for example, take the energy at the point of the torch. Now distribute that energy across your kitchen table. Same goes for processors. Tighter the transistors, the more focused the energy/heat. 

Does not mean every 16nm processor will be thermal limited, that comes down to the architecture. But Pascal clearly is as is evident by the voltage cap and additional heat shown on the GPU when compared to Maxwell.

*sigh* 

Moving to 16nm increases the transistor density, that means the heats is harder to dissipate. Take a blow torch for example, take the energy at the point of the torch. Now distribute that energy across your kitchen table. Same goes for processors. Tighter the transistors, the more focused the energy/heat. 

Does not mean every 16nm processor will be thermal limited, that comes down to the architecture. But Pascal clearly is as is evident by the voltage cap and additional heat shown on the GPU when compared to Maxwell.

k. no, but k.