Where does all the excess dust go after you finish cleaning it out with air?

a2242364

I'm about to clean out my computer for the first time, but I'm a bit confused. Wouldn't using air to blow out dust just cause the dust to land in other parts of the PC? How do I 'really' get the dust actually out of my computer? And also, where would the best place to do this be? I'm live in an condominium so there's no garage or work area where I can afford to have dust flying everywhere. Would the bathroom work? Maybe just over the bathtub or something lol.

Thanks. 

Go outside preferably, you can either suck or blow the dust but blowing it is better (that's what she said). If you can't go outside, take your vacuum cleaner and hold the fan so that they don't spin while you go over them

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

can't you just do it oudside on a good day?

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

Just now, kelvindeschutter said:

can't you just do it oudside on a good day?

Where outside? I live in a really tight urban area so it's a bit rude having dust flying all over people's faces. I don't want to have to drive to my local park just to blow dust out of my PC lol. Plus it's awkward.

you blow it out of the computer and into the room. 

have a vacuum hose near the computer and have it on while you blow it out if you want to minimize/absorb the dust. 

You could "catch" the dust in a vacuum cleaner.

Blow the dust off components with an air duster (or somesuch) have a vacuum cleaner nearby have it on suck so any dust blown off from your PC components gets sucked into the hose.  Be careful not to actually touch any of the components with the vacuum tube.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

2 hours ago, a2242364 said:

Where outside?

Anywhere. On your balcony, if you have one. Outside your front door, if your front door leads outside. In the parking lot. Etc, etc.

It's just a bit of dust. Compared to the amount of dust in general circulation outside, no one is going to be affected by it. :)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

1 hour ago, Quaker said:

Anywhere. On your balcony, if you have one. Outside your front door, if your front door leads outside. In the parking lot. Etc, etc.

It's just a bit of dust. Compared to the amount of dust in general circulation outside, no one is going to be affected by it. :)

Ooh, parking lot sounds good xP Thanks.

3 hours ago, a2242364 said:

I'm about to clean out my computer for the first time, but I'm a bit confused. Wouldn't using air to blow out dust just cause the dust to land in other parts of the PC? How do I 'really' get the dust actually out of my computer? And also, where would the best place to do this be? I'm live in an condominium so there's no garage or work area where I can afford to have dust flying everywhere. Would the bathroom work? Maybe just over the bathtub or something lol.

Thanks. 

Something that I have tried that works quite well, is to suspend the case upside down, above the ground. Worst case, putting it on top of two spaced out chairs works. This way all the dust you spray out with the air, falls onto the ground so you can clean it up later. Also, heat sinks and such should come off, and be cleaned almost by hand. Tooth picks and paper towel are godsends for this. Don't forget to clean fan blades, as dust can get coated on them pretty bad, which messes with case airflow