Need help deciding on type of monitor

BlueBanana

Just a heads up:

I could increase my budget quite a bit, so I've opted for two 27" monitors:

BenQ BL2710 (ISP, 1440p) for work and a BenQ XL2720Z (TN, 1080p) for gaming. 

Very satisfied up until this point, except for one issue: Display Port in the BL2710 wont work properly. I get  the "no signal"-problem very often, no issues with HDMI though.

-----------------------------

Hey there, 

since my current monitors are getting old (~7-12 years) and the image loses more and more quality I think its time to get a new display.

But I find my self in trouble deciding on what to get. 

First the situation:

The monitor will be used for work and gaming. I'm self employed so the monitor will be used quite a lot. My rig contains a i7 3770 and a GTX 970. 

I'm currently running 3 Monitors: (left to right) 17inch 4:3 - 24inch 16:9 (main) - 22inch 16:10. I'm definitely gonna reuse some of the old ones because it's vital for work, but how many and which one depends on what the new monitor is going to be.

The dilemma:

since I'm using a lot of space when working, I thought a ultrawide-34inch display would be nice. They are usually IPS, which is perfect for work and they offer a lot of space. Buuuut the 1440p one are quite expensive. Maybe a bit too expensive... 

There's the option to go for the 1080p ones, which may be awesome for gaming, but I suspect not so great for working...?

So I thought maybe a 27inch 1440p would be a better option? If there would be an affordable IPS display, I think that would be good for work..

But what about gaming? I like my games running around at least 40 - 60fps with decent image quality. Since the 970 surely won't achieve those framerates @1440p in every game, I wonder how bad interpolation is these days?

Or maybe going for a very good 24inch 1080p again? I certainly would be a bit cheaper and no change to my gaming habits, but I really would like some more space when working.

I just don't know what to pick. :) I tend to lean towards the 27inch 1440p option, granting gaming in 1080p and/or interpolation isn't a big issue.

I'd really appreciate advice so what are your thoughts and recommendations? 

4 minutes ago, BlueBanana said:

Hey there, 

since my current monitors are getting old (~7-12 years) and the image loses more and more quality I think its time to get a new display.

But I find my self in trouble deciding on what to get. 

First the situation:

The monitor will be used for work and gaming. I'm self employed so the monitor will be used quite a lot. My rig contains a i7 3770 and a GTX 970. 

I'm currently running 3 Monitors: (left to right) 17inch 4:3 - 24inch 16:9 (main) - 22inch 16:10. I'm definitely gonna reuse some of the old ones because it's vital for work, but how many and which one depends on what the new monitor is going to be.

The dilemma:

since I'm using a lot of space when working, I thought a ultrawide-34inch display would be nice. They are usually IPS, which is perfect for work and they offer a lot of space. Buuuut the 1440p one are quite expensive. Maybe a bit too expensive... 

There's the option to go for the 1080p ones, which may be awesome for gaming, but I suspect not so great for working...?

So I thought maybe a 27inch 1440p would be a better option? If there would be an affordable IPS display, I think that would be good for work..

But what about gaming? I like my games running around at least 40 - 60fps with decent image quality. Since the 970 surely won't achieve those framerates @1440p in every game, I wonder how bad interpolation is these days?

Or maybe going for a very good 24inch 1080p again? I certainly would be a bit cheaper and no change to my gaming habits, but I really would like some more space when working.

I just don't know what to pick. :) I tend to lean towards the 27inch 1440p option, granting gaming in 1080p and/or interpolation isn't a big issue.

I'd really appreciate advice so what are your thoughts and recommendations? 

Go with a 1440p for your "main" middle monitor and then go with lighter 1080 monitors on the side?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You could get a cheap £80/$117 Benq monitor for the sides and a £200/$290 1440p monitor for the middle

1440p Monitor: Asus VX24AH 24 inch Frameless IPS 5 ms Console Gaming Monitor with Dual HDMI, 2560 x 1440, 300 cd/m2                              

1080p Benq monitor: BenQ GL2250HM LED TN Panel 21.5 inch W Multimedia Monitor

4 minutes ago, Cybernetic Organism said:

You could get a cheap £80/$117 Benq monitor for the sides and a £200/$290 1440p monitor for the middle

1440p Monitor: Asus VX24AH 24 inch Frameless IPS 5 ms Console Gaming Monitor with Dual HDMI, 2560 x 1440, 300 cd/m2                              

5ms and 60hz isn't ideal for gaming at any standard.

10 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Go with a 1440p for your "main" middle monitor and then go with lighter 1080 monitors on the side?

7 minutes ago, Cybernetic Organism said:

Thanks. That's the solution I lean towards to. :)

4 minutes ago, Glanir said:

5ms and 60hz isn't ideal for gaming at any standard.

Don't need to be a perfect gaming monitor, since the main focus is on work. I'm not quite certain but I think I'd rather have a "slow" 5ms IPS panel than a fast TN. And since I'm running a GTX970 I guess I'll barley exceed 60fps so higher than 60hz won't be necessary too?

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up:

I could increase my budget quite a bit, so I've opted for two 27" monitors:

BenQ BL2710 (ISP, 1440p) for work and a BenQ XL2720Z (TN, 1080p) for gaming. 

Very satisfied up until this point, except for one issue: Display Port in the BL2710 wont work properly. I get  the "no signal"-problem very often, no issues with HDMI though.