Need help with a good gaming monitor, Im Lost!

Masteryodi1980

I am about to build a new system, but I cannot decide of if I want 120hz+ @ 1080p, or 1440p @ 75hz+. I currently game on a 55 inch Hisense TV @ 60fps, for the past 3 years. I dont play competitively, but I do play graphics intense games like COD, BF, Witcher, Fallout, and others as well as MMO's. I also do some 3D modeling. My GPU is either going to be a 1070 or 1080 or the new Radeon cards ( have to wait to see specs first). I have never played above or viewed any content above 1080p or over 60fps. Any help to decide on a monitor. Money is not really an issue but Im not willing to throw money away for bragging rights either!

I have a feeling either would be a shocking upgrade.  Not only will the fps boost be impressive (if you go 1080p), but you'll almost certainly notice lower input lag with a monitor than you had with your TV.  Or, if you go with the 1440p screen, the sharpness will be staggering, since (and I am speculating a bit on your setup here but) most people can't even notice the difference between 720p and 1080p when it's on a TV at TV viewing sizes and distances.  When you're right up on your screen, you will be impressed :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Aytex said:

Predator X34

that kind of falls in the "spending money for bragging rights" category,don't you think?

2 minutes ago, durpflip said:

that kind of falls in the "spending money for bragging rights" category,don't you think?

How? a 100hz 1440p ips monitor would do fine with a 1070/1080

In what terms is this bragging rights

I would kill for a IPS display with anything above 60Hz

and OP Clearly has "no budget" so why not?

5 hours ago, Aytex said:

How?

it's a bit... conspicuous. or that's probably exaggerated,idk.

i really don't know what OP likes so your say is as good as mine,frankly.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have a feeling either would be a shocking upgrade.  Not only will the fps boost be impressive (if you go 1080p), but you'll almost certainly notice lower input lag with a monitor than you had with your TV.  Or, if you go with the 1440p screen, the sharpness will be staggering, since (and I am speculating a bit on your setup here but) most people can't even notice the difference between 720p and 1080p when it's on a TV at TV viewing sizes and distances.  When you're right up on your screen, you will be impressed :)

Thats what I'm afraid of! I made a mistake my last build in getting a tv instead of a monitor. I love to get a higher hz monitor but cant decide if I want a higher rez one to! The 1440p ones with great hz cost soo much that its nearly half the cost of the build itself!

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I thought the 34x is only 60hz? Yes it is a nice Monitor, but it clearly that thing is a bit over priced than other comparative monitors. 

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

I thought the 34x is only 60hz? Yes it is a nice Monitor, but it clearly that thing is a bit over priced than other comparative monitors. 

Well its competitor is the pg348q which is roughly the same price

You don't seem to play Competitive shooters so a 1440p ultra wide should do well

5 hours ago, Aytex said:

that's what bragging is. desperately showing off to people in an attempt to make them jealous...

and,to be honest,i think you fell for it.

1 minute ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

What do you recommend?

I have to preface this by saying I've never experience anything higher than 60 fps, but I would go with the 1440p option.  1080p is slowly being left behind and soon it will be the 1680 x 1050 of screen resolutions :P  1440p is also perfectly drive-able with the GPUs that exist today, and it's a nice middle ground between 1080p and 4K.  The extra screen real-estate will also be nice for anything outside of gaming.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, durpflip said:

that's what bragging is. desperately showing off to people in an attempt to make them jealous...

and,to be honest,i think you fell for it.

How is a ips display and over 60hz bragging rights

HAve you ever compared LED/TN to an IPS display, and their use for color accruacy 

Or using over 60hz in terms of competitive gaming, its a much smoother experience, and sometimes gives you a edge

I understand  you thinking spending 1.2k on a monitor is Bull shit but OP clearly stated "no budget" and from a realistic point of view I think the monitor is good Though I dont agree whole about the price

ALSO to sum it up my terms of bragging rights is something like getting the Xg270hu and the Swift PG278q, Though im not entirely assured about their backlight bleed or problems, why spend the extra dollars for something you can get for cheaper

Having a "ROG" gimmick of marketing from Asus is what I think bragging rights is

but at the end we all have different opinions so, whatever m9

5 hours ago, Aytex said:

How is a ips display and over 60hz bragging rights

HAve you ever compared LED/TN to an IPS display, and their use for color accruacy 

Or using over 60hz in terms of competitive gaming, its a much smoother experience, and sometimes gives you a edge

I understand  you thinking spending 1.2k on a monitor is Bull shit but OP clearly stated "no budget" and from a realistic point of view I think the monitor is good Though I dont agree whole about the price

annnnd it is a good monitor. no doubt about that. i had a chance to see it in action with unigine valley. i'm just one of those people who think that the red accents are a bit too loud and would prefer a more conventional monitor (like asus makes). but,i don't really know what OP's preference is. i'm just putting that out there.

1 minute ago, durpflip said:

annnnd it is a good monitor. no doubt about that. i had a chance to see it in action with unigine valley. i'm just one of those people who think that the red accents are a bit too loud and would prefer a more conventional monitor (like asus makes). but,i don't really know what OP's preference is. i'm just putting that out there.

updated post btw lel

i tend to do it alot sry

5 hours ago, Aytex said:

ALSO to sum it up my terms of bragging rights is something like getting the Xg270hu and the Swift PG278q, Though im not entirely assured about their backlight bleed or problems, why spend the extra dollars for something you can get for cheaper

Having a "ROG" gimmick of marketing from Asus is what I think bragging rights is

yeah. no dip,an ROG swift is just begging for attention...

Ok looks like I'll leave 1080p behind and go for the 1440p. I really will look at the ones huilun02 posted as well as the Acer 34x (though it will be a far distance choice), so i thank everyone for their input! It's hard to choice without a place that doesn't put these products on display to test and see!

Edited by Masteryodi1980

Ok I have been looking into different monitors and will lock into the 27inch 1440p monitor @144hz, but the problem now is deciding between a IPS or TN! The Acer XG270HU (TN) is nice and I can get it for 389 usd brand new I also plan on getting a 2k or 4k monitor with a response time of 3m or lower for 3d Modeling.  I have seen some people say TN is better but others say IPS is better. Anyone with any thoughts? 

17 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

Ok I have been looking into different monitors and will lock into the 27inch 1440p monitor @144hz, but the problem now is deciding between a IPS or TN! The Acer XG270HU (TN) is nice and I can get it for 389 usd brand new I also plan on getting a 2k or 4k monitor with a response time of 3m or lower for 3d Modeling.  I have seen some people say TN is better but others say IPS is better. Anyone with any thoughts? 

I assume you're familiar with the general characteristics; TN tends to be cheaper and faster, but IPS has better viewing angles and more accurate colour

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I assume you're familiar with the general characteristics; TN tends to be cheaper and faster, but IPS has better viewing angles and more accurate colour

I am now after reading on them, but I hate to buy the TN panel and then later on regret it! Viewing angle shouldnt be a problem as th two monitors will be side by side. The color is what I want! I want rich color in the two panels especially for the 3D model one. 

5 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

I am now after reading on them, but I hate to buy the TN panel and then later on regret it! Viewing angle shouldnt be a problem as th two monitors will be side by side. The color is what I want! I want rich color in the two panels especially for the 3D model one. 

Best bet would be to read reviews and looks up 3rd party tests of the specific panel you are interested in.  Some IPS panels are actually pretty quick, and some TN panels have surprisingly good viewing angles.  You could miss out if you stereotype ;)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Best bet would be to read reviews and looks up 3rd party tests of the specific panel you are interested in.  Some IPS panels are actually pretty quick, and some TN panels have surprisingly good viewing angles.  You could miss out if you stereotype ;)

What do you recommend or a site with some good 3rd party reviews?

15 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

What do you recommend or a site with some good 3rd party reviews?

I think http://www.displaylag.com/http://ca.rtings.com/ and http://www.blurbusters.com/ are generally good.