intel i5 6600 can be used in

hi.

iam planning to upgrade my pc. In this process i had planned to go for inteli5 6600. For this processor can i use the z170 series motherboards, i dont want to overclock. and, intel socket cooler is enough for this motherboard or i should go for another cooler.

It's compatible with a Z170 motherboard but you're honestly better off with a cheaper H170 or B150 mobo if you're not overclocking.

Also, I suggest the i5 6500 instead which is a much better bang for your buck. The difference between it and the i5 6600 is not worth the extra cash you have to dig out for the latter.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

You can use Z170 boards but H170 boards are better for the money

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

No need to get a z170 chipset since that's a locked cpu, and im pretty sure the skylake processors don't come with stock coolers, a 212 evo or a bequiet cooler should do it just right

3 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

No need to get a z170 chipset since that's a locked cpu, and im pretty sure the skylake processors don't come with stock coolers, a 212 evo or a bequiet cooler should do it just right

Skylake CPUs do come with stock coolers. The K-series CPUs do not.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Skylake CPUs do come with stock coolers. The K-series CPUs do not.

Though the Skylake ones don't have copper slugs like the Haswell stock coolers making the Skylake ones horrible performers

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

if we install i5 6500 processor does it will automatically overclock in z 170 motherboard

18 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You can use Z170 boards but H170 boards are better for the money

1 minute ago, dileepaldasarai said:

if we install i5 6500 processor does it will automatically overclock in z 170 motherboard

No. You cannot OC that CPU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

21 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

Only the unlocked ones don't come with a stock cooler

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, dileepaldasarai said:

You can't OC non K chips anymore

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

doesn't that depend on the windows 10 update ur using? and the bios update that the mobo has?

1 minute ago, PeloyGeek said:

doesn't that depend on the windows 10 update ur using? and the bios update that the mobo has?

Intel locked it via firmware as well. No more BCKL OCing (and good cause a few people burned their CPUs and boards with it)

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Though the Skylake ones don't have copper slugs like the Haswell stock coolers making the Skylake ones horrible performers

I own both the Haswell and Skylake stock coolers, and I can say personally that it was about a 6C difference in my personal tests between the two, in favor of the copper one. That being said, even on an overclocked 6600T, 4.3ghz was kept under 80C on the stock Skylake cooler under 48k FFT Prime95. Due to the loss of AVX on non-K CPU;s, they don't really get hot when overclocked. Without overclocking, I can't imagine them getting hot enough to the point in which even the Skylake stock cooler fails to deliver on cooling the CPU.

To the other people: Z170 isn't just a CPU overclocking platform. It has benefits outside of that specific feature. Memory overclocking comes to mind, and is pretty important when dealing with situations with high CPU overhead. Seeing as you won't be overclocking your CPU, I imagine such a situation might be encountered depending on the resolution you game at. Assuming one is saving money on CPU, monitor, and other components to allocate into the GPU (since they tend to make the largest difference in terms of gaming performance) one might find themselves with a cheap 1080p monitor, locked CPU, but a pretty decent graphics card. Having faster memory can help prevent that GPU from starving waiting on that CPU to deliver. You need not take my word for it though. Plenty of sources available on the net to bolster the claims of memory speed helping with gaming performance (though, there is also claims that go against this, but I find their testing methodology to be awful). 

To summarize, if you are wanting to save money on a gaming build, I would avoid investing in a cheaper motherboard. There are just some things you should not cheap out on in my eyes, that are very important for the longevity of your system. Power Supply, storage solution, and platform itself (motherboard). Investing in a strong, feature-rich platform that can gain additional performance for the future, for $15 more (Seriously, the cheapest H170 board at the moment in the US is $75, while the cheapest Z170 board at the moment in the US is $90) just seems like a no-brainer. If you still want to save money, buy slow ram and overclock it for free. Seriously. I have owned a ton of DDR4 kits, and not a single one of them have failed to hit 2800mhz. 2800mhz is basically the sweet spot for DDR4 in making sure your CPU is capable of feeding a strong GPU at lower resolutions. Beyond that, you tend to run into diminishing returns unless you do SLI, which is a story for another day.

Lastly, to the people that just posted, Yes. You can still OC non-K CPU's. I personally do not recommend it, because there are too many negative tradebacks and headaches associated with doing so, but it's still possible. Simply roll back to a bios that does not have microcode 0x76, but has the non-K overclocking update enabled. On ASrock boards, its listed as "Sky OC" or "Improve performance of CPU's". 

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Intel locked it via firmware as well. No more BCKL OCing (and good cause a few people burned their CPUs and boards with it)

I have to see a source on this, because I do not believe it. First of all, they didn't "lock it via firmware". They released an optional microcode update. Nobody was forced to update, and it has yet to enter Windows Update, like the G3258 microcode did in the past. Secondly, I have yet to see people kill their boards with non-K CPU's. If you have any evidence for that claim, i'd be interested in seeing it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I own both the Haswell and Skylake stock coolers, and I can say personally that it was about a 6C difference in my personal tests between the two, in favor of the copper one. That being said, even on an overclocked 6600T, 4.3ghz was kept under 80C on the stock Skylake cooler under 48k FFT Prime95. Due to the loss of AVX on non-K CPU;s, they don't really get hot when overclocked. Without overclocking, I can't imagine them getting hot enough to the point in which even the Skylake stock cooler fails to deliver on cooling the CPU.

To the other people: Z170 isn't just a CPU overclocking platform. It has benefits outside of that specific feature. Memory overclocking comes to mind, and is pretty important when dealing with situations with high CPU overhead. Seeing as you won't be overclocking your CPU, I imagine such a situation might be encountered depending on the resolution you game at. Assuming one is saving money on CPU, monitor, and other components to allocate into the GPU (since they tend to make the largest difference in terms of gaming performance) one might find themselves with a cheap 1080p monitor, locked CPU, but a pretty decent graphics card. Having faster memory can help prevent that GPU from starving waiting on that CPU to deliver. You need not take my word for it though. Plenty of sources available on the net to bolster the claims of memory speed helping with gaming performance (though, there is also claims that go against this, but I find their testing methodology to be awful). 

To summarize, if you are wanting to save money on a gaming build, I would avoid investing in a cheaper motherboard. There are just some things you should not cheap out on in my eyes, that are very important for the longevity of your system. Power Supply, storage solution, and platform itself (motherboard). Investing in a strong, feature-rich platform that can gain additional performance for the future, for $15 more (Seriously, the cheapest H170 board at the moment in the US is $75, while the cheapest Z170 board at the moment in the US is $90) just seems like a no-brainer. If you still want to save money, buy slow ram and overclock it for free. Seriously. I have owned a ton of DDR4 kits, and not a single one of them have failed to hit 2800mhz. 2800mhz is basically the sweet spot for DDR4 in making sure your CPU is capable of feeding a strong GPU at lower resolutions. Beyond that, you tend to run into diminishing returns unless you do SLI, which is a story for another day.

Lastly, to the people that just posted, Yes. You can still OC non-K CPU's. I personally do not recommend it, because there are too many negative tradebacks and headaches associated with doing so, but it's still possible. Simply roll back to a bios that does not have microcode 0x76, but has the non-K overclocking update enabled. On ASrock boards, its listed as "Sky OC" or "Improve performance of CPU's". 

I have to see a source on this, because I do not believe it. First of all, they didn't "lock it via firmware". They released an optional microcode update. Nobody was forced to update, and it has yet to enter Windows Update, like the G3258 microcode did in the past. Secondly, I have yet to see people kill their boards with non-K CPU's. If you have any evidence for that claim, i'd be interested in seeing it. 

This chap was fucking around with it and ended up with a dead CPU -

Also, from what I remember, all CPUs made after the microcode update have it by default (correct me if I am wrong)

29 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

He's buying new so the board will have an updated BIOS

Spoiler

AXIOM

49 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

My 6500 runs 24/7 and it never goes above 55 degrees and averages at 50 degrees

Spoiler

AXIOM

8 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

This chap was fucking around with it and ended up with a dead CPU -

Also, from what I remember, all CPUs made after the microcode update have it by default (correct me if I am wrong)

Well, that man is misinformed. I can tell you this for a fact. I was using the stock cooler in an ITX case, and pushing 1.36v for 4.5ghz. I had this under Prime95 48k FFT load too, and only hit 90C. Are you telling me with 500mhz, .04v higher voltage, and an extremely small ITX case, I am only 5C hotter than him? I am willing to bet he never manually dialed in 48k FFT (small FFT is the hottest) and I am certain at 4ghz and 1.32v, he did not fry that chip. He had to be doing something extremely stupid to fry it.

Even if this is true, it only points to a fried CPU, not a fried board, as you previously claimed. With AVX disabled on non-k overclocked chips, they simply do not get as hot as their K counterparts in Prime95. This is a known fact by anyone that has overclocked the chips. For people in that thread to blame Prime95, it's just silly. Oh, and while running that 6600T at 4.5ghz, I also had ram overclocked to 3500mhz which made my CPU run 6C hotter, so technically it would only run 84C under the same load. I highly doubt that person ran extremely overclocked ram with his very tame 4ghz overclock. 

He also still talks in recent threads as if the 6500 is still working. Even uses the same amount of voltage, and same stock cooler. 

8 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

You most certainly still can. It all depends on the motherboard. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

8 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

why not? mine works fine at 4.7ghz. 

9 hours ago, PeloyGeek said:

8 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

so much wrong information. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

You most certainly still can. It all depends on the motherboard. 

And bios revision. Some people have to roll back to an older microcode depending on the date of purchase on the board. Still, it's easy, and anyone can do it. I just don't think its worth the headache and loss of AVX, C-States, 75% cache speed, thermal sensors (have to use PECI or package sensor), iGPU and the paranoia of having to disable windows update with GPE out of fear that 0x76 will end up in the automatic update list. 

Would only recommend non-K overclocking to pentium and i3 users that have nothing to lose anyways. What's the loss of AVX and cache speed to a CPU that couldn't lift in the first place? lol.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

And bios revision. Some people have to roll back to an older microcode depending on the date of purchase on the board. Still, it's easy, and anyone can do it. I just don't think its worth the headache and loss of AVX, C-States, 75% cache speed, thermal sensors (have to use PECI or package sensor), iGPU and the paranoia of having to disable windows update with GPE out of fear that 0x76 will end up in the automatic update list. 

Would only recommend non-K overclocking to pentium and i3 users that have nothing to lose anyways. What's the loss of AVX and cache speed to a CPU that couldn't lift in the first place? lol.

nothing use avx apart from xtu

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

nothing use avx apart from xtu

Plenty of things use AVX. Prime95, GROMACS, Grid 2, etc. Granted, most general consumers will never need it, or care if it works or not.