FreeNAS - Horrible transfer speeds

So I had not noticed until now that I have horribly slow write speeds on my NAS. I am copying a 5.54GB file and windows is showing me a 3.2 MB/s transfer speed, The previous big file I transferred needed an hour to copy because of this.

transferspeeds.png

So here are my NAS specs:

3*4TB seagate NAS drives

16 GB of ECC RAM

i3 4170

my mobo is the asus P9DMV

I use power line adapters to get my internet but they shouldn't bottleneck as they can transfer up to 1GB/s. I searched online for an answer but cannot quite get a clear solution.

To start, no, your power line adaptors do not run at 1GB/s or 8 gigabits per second......

33 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

To start, no, your power line adaptors do not run at 1GB/s or 8 gigabits per second......

No you are right, they are marketed as 500 GB/s

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Feels like a issue with the powerline, try it with wired.

And with wired I get 100 MB/s, much better but still not what I expected. So now I guess I will have to open a forum entry in the networking sub of LTT. *sigh*

5 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

No you are right, they are marketed as 500 GB/s

And with wired I get 100 MB/s, much better but still not what I expected. So now I guess I will have to open a forum entry in the networking sub of LTT. *sigh*

100 MBS is the max speed of gig networking.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

100 MBS is the max speed of gig networking.

Oh ok thank you :) I am still surprised that I cannot get more than 4MB/s out of the powerline adapter

1 minute ago, Skydiver said:

Oh ok thank you :) I am still surprised that I cannot get more than 4MB/s out of the powerline adapter

Powerline and wifi are much worse than wired. The speeds of powerline are much lower than the rated speeds.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Powerline and wifi are much worse than wired. The speeds of powerline are much lower than the rated speeds.

Well still, they are rated as 500Mb/s which is converted around 60MB per second. I get 5MB per second, this is a massive difference.

24 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

Well still, they are rated as 500Mb/s which is converted around 60MB per second. I get 5MB per second, this is a massive difference.

Unlike wire, you can't get anywhere close to the rated speeds.

run a Ethernet to the nas and your pc then try to transfer if its 80-120MB then its your powerline ( powerline is like asking for major issues ) .  get a ethernet cable  off of monoprice or amazon

54 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

they are rated in the best conditions ones in the real world would never happen . such as both of them are 6 in apart connected by home wiring and they then can state it reaches 1gb per second which is a total lie . your lucky if you get dial-up speeds on wiring that's older then the 90's  with powerline . either run a cable or just buy a wireless n/ac usb dongle and connect it  to your nas  then just use wifi  , there at least you will max out your drives before the network would .

edit i have tried powerline before i just ran a line to my nas  my house was built in the 40's so the wiring sucks i was unable to even get it to work in the same room . same circuit just from one end to the other . i then got 200ft of 10/3 wired it up and got like 1/100 of the rated speed just to see if they were DOA if i remeber which one it was i will post it in here was some tp link 2 or 4 port powerline adapter  . this wasn't run thur any walls just  a coil of residential wire made to work in the best conditions and still it sucked .

running Ethernet ant expensive only 20-80 for the cat cable and 15-25 for the connecters and LV surface mount boxes and plates . the tool costs more then most of the stuff you need to do the cable connecters

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

On 6/18/2016 at 7:34 PM, Skydiver said:

By chance, did you happen to have the powerline connected to an extension or surge breaker at either end?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

10 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

By chance, did you happen to have the powerline connected to an extension or surge breaker at either end?

nope into the wall socket i know the surge protector breaks powerline .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

On 20/06/2016 at 9:53 AM, Eniqmatic said:

No it is in the wall directly so it must be the power line adapter itseld but thank you very much for your suggestion