About Radiator as only exhaust

XyzWoot
Go to solution Solved by Misunderstood Wookie,

Took a look at your case man.

Leave your radiator at the rear or if the side window will hold it place it there as an exhaust ONLY AS AN EXHAUST. 

If your video card fans are on top as in when you look in the case the fans are ontop put two 120mm fans on the top of the case as intakes. 

If the gpu fans are underneath facing the bottom of the case,  put fans on the bottom of the case as intake and lease the CPU radiator at the rear as an exhaust.

Leave the front fan there up to you or remove it for less noise if your not worried about drive temps you don't actually need air going over modern drives really depends how many bays you filled up just as long as some air is moving around the case should.be fine. 

I doubt you'll be able to get the radiator mounted to the window panel presuming the gpu fans are on top facing the top of the case. if you can make it fit mount it as close to the middle of the gpu as you can. Why is that you may ask?

Well you'll create a positive air flow over the gpu because air will push from the top sucked into the gpu you'll have the CPU rad fan pulling air to the side and some cool air from the top will end up being moved over the CPU socket the mobo and around the gpu pcb and then finally sucked out through the side. 

I was thinking of having positive air and only setting the radiator as the only exhaust. is this ok? Have an Asus Turbo GTX 960 and i wanted to improve its temps

It depends on the positive pressure inside your case but I wouldn't recommend leaving the radiator alone since the airflow would be very poor through the radiator

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

5 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Yes, it is okay.What temps do you get with the Turbo 960?

Usually when i play darksouls 3 on high it's 80 - 81 temps max

2 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

Well yep np.

I used my H100-i as a positive top exhaust. 

ok thanks! gonna try it

2 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

It depends on the positive pressure inside your case but I wouldn't recommend leaving the radiator alone since the airflow would be very poor through the radiator

I see alright i might run some temps. anyway my fan for the radiator is an SP 120 Perf

Technically I put a 240mm fan on the side blowing in and 120 at rear the fronts intake is 200mm all case fans are on super low pwm I wouldn't even use the rear one but it happens to be where the RAM dimms are and the radiator doesn't cover that side so wanted a bit of flow over the fins..

Honestly you do need something with big CFM pressure wise no but something dumping fresh air into the case bigger just means slower and quiet but good coverage. I need those fans I got a R9 290 reference lol we all know it gets hot. 

Radiator fans benefit from high pressure to force air through the fins as fast as possible.  

2 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

Technically I put a 240mm fan on 5he side blowing in and 120 at rear the fronts intake is 200mm all case fans are on super low pwm I wouldn't even use the rear one but it happens to be where the RAM dimms are and the radiator doesn't cover that side so wanted a bit of flow over the fins.

Oh i see my case is actually an Enermax Ostrog and my setup currently is 1 intake in front, 1 intake under, 2 exhaust on top, and the radiator at the back. I was planning on turning my exhaust on top into intakes to give fresh air to my GPU

Well if that means the radiator is dumping air into the case I personally wouldn't do it that's a lot of heat that the gpu is just going to soak up. 

But there isn't a problem putting the radiator onto to dump air upwards it probably would.keep.the liquid cooler too as hot air rises so you will get some passive cooling of the find due to extraction of the heat rising out of the case.

3 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

Well if that means the radiator is dumping air into the case I personally wouldn't do it that's a lot of heat that the gpu is just going to soak up. 

But there isn't a problem putting the radiator onto to dump air upwards it probably would.keep.the liquid cooler too as hot air rises so you will get some passive cooling of the find due to extraction of the heat rising out of the case.

Ohh i thought that the top might give fresh air to the GPU and even the radiator haha anyway my cooler is an Antec Kuhler 620 and an SP 120 PWM perf fan on it with a push setup. and any opinions on a correct airflow on my case that might be best for the GPU? and also some other parts?

Leave your radiator at the rear or if the side window will hold it place it there as an exhaust ONLY AS AN EXHAUST. 

If your video card fans are on top as in when you look in the case the fans are ontop put two 120mm fans on the top of the case as intakes. 

If the gpu fans are underneath facing the bottom of the case,  put fans on the bottom of the case as intake and lease the CPU radiator at the rear as an exhaust.

Leave the front fan there up to you or remove it for less noise if your not worried about drive temps you don't actually need air going over modern drives really depends how many bays you filled up just as long as some air is moving around the case should.be fine. 

I doubt you'll be able to get the radiator mounted to the window panel presuming the gpu fans are on top facing the top of the case. if you can make it fit mount it as close to the middle of the gpu as you can. Why is that you may ask?

Well you'll create a positive air flow over the gpu because air will push from the top sucked into the gpu you'll have the CPU rad fan pulling air to the side and some cool air from the top will end up being moved over the CPU socket the mobo and around the gpu pcb and then finally sucked out through the side. 

21 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

If the gpu fans are underneath facing the bottom of the case,  put fans on the bottom of the case as intake. 

Leave the front fan there up to you or remove it if your not worried about drive temps you don't actually nees air going over modern drives really depends how many bays you filled up just as long as some air is moving around the case should.be fine. 

Got it :D thank you very much

6 minutes ago, XyzWoot said:

Got it :D thank you very much

Just do double check my post I re typed it all as you were replying. 

But that's a sweet plan to me anyway two configurations based on which side of the gpu the fans are.

3 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

Just do double check my post I re typed it all as you were replying. 

But that's a sweet plan to me anyway two configurations based on which side of the gpu the fans are.

Yup saw it just now haha yeah i think i'm gonna run some tests with all intakes then the rads as exhausts and just to remove doubts on my head haha thanks again! and cheers from Philippines :D

3 minutes ago, XyzWoot said:

Yup saw it just now haha yeah i think i'm gonna run some tests with all intakes then the rads as exhausts and just to remove doubts on my head haha thanks again! and cheers from Philippines :D

No worries but you don't want rads as intakes though as the air that goes through rads comes out hot so you'll be blowing hot air in volume back into the case only to be sucked in and re used worst case is you'll get over heating issues and thermal throttling.

Rally depends what the rads cool so just be mindful of where the air is coming from and going out from and try place things in away which makes intake air move over vital components before being sucked out a radiator. 

While trying to avoid an exhaust interrupting flow around the middle of the system.