Having serious issues with installing DirectX on Windows 8.

Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Huh. After another reboot and uninstalling/reinstalling DirectX, everything is fine now. Weird. Even Oracle's VM software installed fine. 

God is awesome. :)

Hi guys,

I am running Windows 8 with the only mod being Classic Shell to make it more like Windows 7 (and every other Windows version). 

Every time I try to install DirectX for games, such as when I first run games that I have on Steam, it just hangs. Nothing happens. I have to force end the task in Task Manager. Then it will not run again until a large amount of time (hours) has passed, or I restart the computer. And even then, it will not work. 

I do not know if it is related, but I attempted to install Oracle's Virtual Machine software and it did the exact same thing. However, the DirectX problem has been something going on for a few days. It first started when I tried to install a game when I was disconnected from the internet. I figured that was the problem, but now, I am not sure. 

I tried running the DirectX setup for a game from inside the folder rather than letting Steam do it. Same results (and problems). 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

how long have you been running Win8?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

how long have you been running Win8?

Several months. 

I have several games already installed. However, now, none of the new ones will install. Unless it was a Windows update, I have no idea what the problem could be. 

BF3, Civ V, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are all installed and working. 

However, now Mirror's Edge will not install. I've tried a few others and they will not either. I want to point out, it's the DirectX thing that will not work. It just sits there. Doing nothing. Forever. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

have you tried installing directX as a standalone? i mean from the microsoft site?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

have you tried installing directX as a standalone? i mean from the microsoft site?

Well, it's not that. I have DirectX installed, it's just that every single game in Steam has a DirectX installation they have to run for what they specifically need. At least that is how I understand it to work. I could be wrong. I will try installing from the M$ site then. I may even uninstall DirectX altogether and reinstall it to see if that works.

† Christian Member †

direct X is integrated into windows 8.im not too sure what your issue is but its possible it might be something else like specific games that dont support windows 8. 

direct X is integrated into windows 8.im not too sure what your issue is but its possible it might be something else like specific games that dont support windows 8. 

Well, that is the thing. I tried Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and at first it failed as usual. Then, later, it worked. And I have played it a bit with no issues. 

I figure I could just keep trying installations, but that'd be a pain since I have to wait a considerable length of time between attempts, or restart my computer each time. 

Hmm, I have been at work all day. Thank you for everyone's help. I will try some of the possible solutions when I get home. Hopefully it works. 

I'd reallllly like to get that VM installed over everything else honestly. Having a second "computer" (technically) would be great for my nephew to play games with me. 

† Christian Member †

Do you have a Logitech keyboard or mouse?

The updater app might be running which blocks DirectX, for some reason.

Kill it, and it should work.

Do you have a Logitech keyboard or mouse?

Nope.

Epic Gear Meduza HDST mouse (is both Laser and Optical at the same time). 

Monoprice Cherry MX Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboard. 

† Christian Member †

go to the games folders of Steam: <Path where you installed Steam>\Steam\steamapps\<game name>, and delete all *.vdf files.

This should solve your problem. You need to the above for every game that causes trouble.

ive never had this issue with any steam games.... i cant say for sure but tis probably just the games themselves

go to the games folders of Steam: <Path where you installed Steam>\Steam\steamapps\<game name>, and delete all *.vdf files.

This should solve your problem. You need to the above for every game that causes trouble.

Interesting, will try that first. Thanks a lot. :)

† Christian Member †

Huh. After another reboot and uninstalling/reinstalling DirectX, everything is fine now. Weird. Even Oracle's VM software installed fine. 

God is awesome. :)

† Christian Member †