not getting full download speed?

DominicNikon

i get 37 mbps down and when ever i download a steam game i get 4.5mbps down so why dont i get 20+ mbps down for steam? does steam limited the speed you can use?

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

1MB/s = 8Mbps. The units (megabytes vs megabits) are different. You're getting the full speed. 

wait thats a typo i ment i only get 4.5 mb/s down on steam 

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Exactly. If you get 37Mbps, you should get 4.6MB/s maximum. 

Steam shows downloads in Megabytes per second, but your ISP and places like SpeedTest.net will show you in Megabits per second. 

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

your speeds are fine.

Check your units.

37mb/s = 4.6MB/s

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Same applies.. steam talks in mb/s speedtest in mbps

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Exactly. If you get 37Mbps, you should get 4.6MB/s maximum. 

so steam does limit you?

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

so steam does limit you?

No. The units used are different. 37Mbps = 4.6MB/s. When you account for overhead and other factors, 4.5MB/s is what you should be getting.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No. The units used are different. 37Mbps = 4.6MB/s. When you account for overhead and other factors, 4.5MB/s is what you should be getting.

i thought mbps and mb/s was the same thing. i still dont understand how 37 megabytes per second can= 4.5 on steam

7 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

i thought mbps and mb/s was the same thing. i still dont understand how 37 megabytes per second can= 4.5 on steam

MBps is not the same as Mbps

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE B

steam measures MBps

pretty much all network speed checks use Mbps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Note the b. If it's a capital B, it's bytes. If it's a lowercase b, it's bits.

Also you're never going to get the advertised speed anyway due to network overhead and all that.

19 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

i get 37 mbps down and when ever i download a steam game i get 4.5mbps down so why dont i get 20+ mbps down for steam? does steam limited the speed you can use?

Mbps =/= MBps.  Please make sure you use proper syntax and you'll be able to resolve a lot of your issues.

Additionally, what speed of internet do you PAY for?  I know you don't pay for 37 Mbps, its a odd number.  So that tells me that you're either getting more than you paid for, which is unlikely, or you're still not getting what you pay for.

As a rule of thumb, if you're getting 75% of what you're paying for you should be happy.  If you get 90% of what you pay for you should be ecstatic.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

7 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Mbps =/= MBps.  Please make sure you use proper syntax and you'll be able to resolve a lot of your issues.

Additionally, what speed of internet do you PAY for?  I know you don't pay for 37 Mbps, its a odd number.  So that tells me that you're either getting more than you paid for, which is unlikely, or you're still not getting what you pay for.

As a rule of thumb, if you're getting 75% of what you're paying for you should be happy.  If you get 90% of what you pay for you should be ecstatic.

im paying for 30 but i get 37

7 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Then you pay for 30Mbps / Mb/s but get 37Mbps / Mb/s (megabits). That's the same as 4.6MBps / MB/s (megabytes). 

Then you pay for 30Mbps / Mb/s but get 37Mbps / Mb/s (megabits). That's the same as 4.6MBps / MB/s (megabytes). 

if i upped my plan to 50 how many megabytes would i be getting? 

11 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

That would depend on what speeds you actually get. What you pay for is not necessarily what you get, which is why internet bandwidth is always quoted as "up to". 

If we assume you get 50Megabits per second exactly on a 50Mbps plan, then you'd be getting a maximum of 6.25 Megabytes per second. As there are 8 bits in a byte, you just need to divide 50 by 8 to get the number. 

27 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That would depend on what speeds you actually get. What you pay for is not necessarily what you get, which is why internet bandwidth is always quoted as "up to". 

If we assume you get 50Megabits per second exactly on a 50Mbps plan, then you'd be getting a maximum of 6.25 Megabytes per second. As there are 8 bits in a byte, you just need to divide 50 by 8 to get the number. 

i always thought internet speed was in megabytes per second but now i know there in megabit thanks for the help now i just got to go tell every one i know lol