Are AMD drivers any good?

Totalimus

Hello, I can't find the specific thread on this sub-forum but one of the users complained about his newly acquired Sapphire R9 390, most importantly he wasn't really happy with the drivers.

With RX 480 around the corner, I am now concerned about purchasing an AMD graphics card.

In the past I heard that their drivers are pretty bad but after a couple months I heard AMD improved their drivers by a lot.

So which one is it, AMD users? Is everything fine and dandy? What are you happy and not happy with when it comes down to AMD drivers?

AMD drivers are better than Nvidia drivers right now.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Only had minor annoyances caused by my odd-ball setup, but they're pretty solid overall

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

AMD drivers are usually not that good at lounch, but they improve performance more over time than Nvidia does.

A easy exsample would be the 780ti vs the 290x, the 780ti was the better card when they both were new, but later the 290x became the better card.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Does anyone remember that one vid where Linus said "Don't walk in and ask who has the better drivers because that will start a flame war"?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

2 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Does anyone remember that one vid where Linus said "Don't walk in and ask who has the better drivers because that will start a flame war"?

From how much I've seen, this forum doesn't have that many fan boys so it should be all good. :D

13 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

In the year I've had an AMD card I've had zero issues.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

@Aruxx @Kryptyx Sorry but what is funny? Have you any experiance with both Nvidia and AMD drivers right now? Or are you just fanboys?

If you had any experience with both drivers you would know that AMD's drivers are better right now and have less problems.

2 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

From how much I've seen, this forum doesn't have that many fan boys so it should be all good. :D

Oh it has trust me, both sides are after me often because I tell what is up and don't sugarcoat it like they do.

I was happy with AMD drivers, For both my 6850 and R9 290. I've never tried Nvidia drivers, so I can't really compare them.

However, I'll be trying Nvidia drivers for the first time today, when my GTX 1070 arrives.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

1 minute ago, Brandonsr said:

I was happy with AMD drivers, For both my 6850 and R9 290. I've never tried Nvidia drivers, so I can't really compare them.

However, I'll be trying Nvidia drivers for the first time today, when my GTX 1070 arrives.

Glad to hear! Enjoy that beast. :D

Alright then, I guess I will stick to purchasing RX 480. There aren't any better options for me either way, since 1070 is out of my budget.

I'm just sad that I won't be able to use shadowplay. :(

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

@Aruxx @Kryptyx Sorry but what is funny? Have you any experiance with both Nvidia and AMD drivers right now? Or are you just fanboys?

If you had any experience with both drivers you would know that AMD's drivers are better right now and have less problems.

I do have experience with both drivers and have found Nvidia to be more stable, personally.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

They have there ups and downs just like any other company. A lot of the bad driver claims come from user error. Not cleaning drivers before installing new ones.

4 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

Glad to hear! Enjoy that beast. :D

Alright then, I guess I will stick to purchasing RX 480. There aren't any better options for me either way, since 1070 is out of my budget.

I'm just sad that I won't be able to use shadowplay. :(

That's one thing great about Team Green: nothing AMD has can come close to NVIDIA Shadowplay.

On the whole, though, both are as good as each other right now.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Drivers are drivers. I personally don't understand why people think that AMD drivers are broken as hell. It's perfectly fine. The only thing to consider is if you want Nvidia's features.

I produce music!

I have had good stability with AMD drivers for last 6 years, only annoyance is that right now it's nagging me to update the driver every time I start up my computer and I can't find option to turn it off.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

3 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I do have experience with both drivers and have found Nvidia to be more stable, personally.

Yeah, but that does not mean that they are the most stable overall for all users or the best performing. AMD is slightly ahead right now.

They are both not that good.

1 minute ago, aakopa said:

I have had good stability with AMD drivers for last 6 years, only annoyance is that right now it's nagging me to update the driver every time I start up my computer and I can't find option to turn it off.

Why wouldn't you want to update the driver?

58 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah, but that does not mean that they are the most stable overall for all users or the best performing. AMD is slightly ahead right now.

They are both not that good.

The reason I marked your post as funny is because it is the exact type of post that starts a fanboy war.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

6 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

Why wouldn't you want to update the driver?

Because I don't have time to update my driver multiple times a month. I do it every quarter and thats it.

And I don't like installing beta drivers.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

The reason I marked your post as funny as because it is the exact type of post that starts a fanboy war.

Well it is a fact, so yeah.  A good way also to start a fanboy war is to mark something as funny. So just keep that in mind .

But yeah it is a way to start a fanboy war, but I think that most of both sides of the fanboys, knows that I could not care less about the brand.

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well it is a fact, so yeah.  A good way also to start a fanboy war is to mark something as funny. So just keep that in mind .

But yeah it is a way to start a fanboy war, but I think that most of both sides of the fanboys, knows that I could not care less about the brand.

As someone who uses both AMD and Nvidia, nether can claim to have good drivers. Both ship bad drivers, and both ship drivers that are better.

OP, AMD has improved only in their ability to get drivers out quickly. But that's better than nothing. Nether company can brag about their drivers right now.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

As someone who uses both AMD and Nvidia, nether can claim to have good drivers. Both ship bad drivers, and both ship drivers that are better.

OP, AMD has improved only in their ability to get drivers out quickly. But that's better than nothing. Nether company can brag about their drivers right now.

Oh I did say at some point in here that both drivers are not that good. Yeah they both ship bad drivers, shit happens.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Oh I did say at some point in here that both drivers are not that good. Yeah they both ship bad drivers, shit happens.

47 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

AMD drivers are better than Nvidia drivers right now.

No they're not. Just because AMD has gotten better, that does not mean they have beaten Nvidia. Both are just adequate.

If anyone asks you never saw me.