3570k Overclocking Problems

Hi guys. Yay, first post and new member! Linus seems to have a great community here. :D

I have most of the parts needed to watercool the machine in my signature, and just wanted to test how far my cpu would overclock. Someone sad they would never go above 1.375 V on an ivy bridge so i just set the voltage to a fixed 1.375 and my multiplier to 50. The computer just did a reboot loop after the windows logo. Then I started taking the multiplier down and got a successful boot at 47 multiplier. While stress testing with prime95 CPU-Z showed that the processor was running at only 1.272 V. It died after a few minutes of stress testing. And my question is: Why won't it go past 1.272 V because I'm pretty sure that it could do a stable 5 GHz at 1.375? 

I can post my bios settings later if it helps.

post-32854-0-67577800-1380483775_thumb.p

• 3570k @ 4.2GHz 1.07v • ASRock Z77 Extreme3 • ARCTIC COOLING Freezer i30  G.SKILL Sniper 8GB 1866MHz • SAPPHIRE HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 MHz • XFX Core Edition PRO 550W • COOLERMASTER Silencio 450 • 2x random SAMSUNG 320GB laptop HDD in RAID0 lol 

Proper overclocking is starting at stock frequencies and going up slowly in multiplier and slowly increasing voltage as needed. You also need to enable LLC.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi guys. Yay, first post and new member! Linus seems to have a great community here. :D

I have most of the parts needed to watercool the machine in my signature, and just wanted to test how far my cpu would overclock. Someone sad they would never go above 1.375 V on an ivy bridge so i just set the voltage to a fixed 1.375 and my multiplier to 50. The computer just did a reboot loop after the windows logo. Then I started taking the multiplier down and got a successful boot at 47 multiplier. While stress testing with prime95 CPU-Z showed that the processor was running at only 1.272 V. It died after a few minutes of stress testing. And my question is: Why won't it go past 1.272 V because I'm pretty sure that it could do a stable 5 GHz at 1.375? 

I can post my bios settings later if it helps.

Overclocking is a steady and increment-based process. You can't just dial in numbers and jump up from 3.4 to 4.7, you need to test frequencies and voltages in between and work your way up.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Proper overclocking is starting at stock frequencies and going up slowly in multiplier and slowly increasing voltage as needed. You also need to enable LLC.

It started out as proper overclocking. My daily overclock of 4.2 GHz @ 1.07 V was reached that way. This was just a meaningless test to see how far it would go. Thanks for the LCC tip. I will try it first thing in the morning. :D

• 3570k @ 4.2GHz 1.07v • ASRock Z77 Extreme3 • ARCTIC COOLING Freezer i30  G.SKILL Sniper 8GB 1866MHz • SAPPHIRE HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 MHz • XFX Core Edition PRO 550W • COOLERMASTER Silencio 450 • 2x random SAMSUNG 320GB laptop HDD in RAID0 lol