NV Surround with a single GTX 1080?

Laucien

Hey!, 

I'm seriously considering upgrading from a GTX970 SLI setup to a single GTX1080 but was wondering if a single card would be enough to power my current NV Surround setup of 3 1920*1080 screens. What do you guys think? Long term goal could be to get 2 1080 and run them in SLI but if I can get a similar/slightly better performance with one card I'd probably go that way for a long while. 4k screens are ridiculously expensive here (Argentina) and gaming monitors are pretty much non-existent so I don't see myself upgrading to a higher resolution anytime soon. 

I know I've read in several places than a single 1080 is supposed to be better than two 980ti in SLI but I'd rather ask and come out as a noob than risking the purchase :P. 

a 1080 is better than 970 SLI

so if you've been fine with 970 SLI all this time then a 1080 will be a nice improvement

especially for the games that dont support SLI

and no, nobody said a 1080 is better than 980ti SLI

that is absurd

they said it is better than 980 SLI

and that is true in most benchmarks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

a 1080 is better than 970 SLI

so if you've been fine with 970 SLI all this time then a 1080 will be a nice improvement

especially for the games that dont support SLI

That's pretty much why I want the upgrade... I haven't had much issue with SLI really but wouldn't mind going back to a single card. 

And yeah, I've had these 2 for more than a year already and save for 1 or 2 games I've been more than happy with the stuff I can run. 

Another question though. I connect the 3 screens using either DVI or HDMI since they don't have displayport input but from what I can see all the GTX1080 have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 DisplayPort... would there be any downside in using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter for one of the screens?. 

Just now, Laucien said:

Hey!, 

I'm seriously considering upgrading from a GTX970 SLI setup to a single GTX1080 but was wondering if a single card would be enough to power my current NV Surround setup of 3 1920*1080 screens. What do you guys think? Long term goal could be to get 2 1080 and run them in SLI but if I can get a similar/slightly better performance with one card I'd probably go that way for a long while. 4k screens are ridiculously expensive here (Argentina) and gaming monitors are pretty much non-existent so I don't see myself upgrading to a higher resolution anytime soon. 

I know I've read in several places than a single 1080 is supposed to be better than two 980ti in SLI but I'd rather ask and come out as a noob than risking the purchase :P. 

for reference on how well it will do  1 gtx 980 will run 3 monitors perfectly ( in my case may be different to other users) in 3 1920x1080 displays

9 hours ago, Laucien said:

That's pretty much why I want the upgrade... I haven't had much issue with SLI really but wouldn't mind going back to a single card. 

And yeah, I've had these 2 for more than a year already and save for 1 or 2 games I've been more than happy with the stuff I can run. 

Another question though. I connect the 3 screens using either DVI or HDMI since they don't have displayport input but from what I can see all the GTX1080 have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 DisplayPort... would there be any downside in using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter for one of the screens?. 

no, an adapter should work ok

but personally I would wait for an aftermarket card that has either two HDMI or two DVI so you dont have to use any adapters

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 5 weeks later...

A month later and I'm back here!. 

I got the chance to buy the MSI 1080 Gaming X for a pretty nice price. Pretty nice = Reasonable here in Argentina and not that much more than what I can get from selling my 2 Zotac 970. 

So, just to get some confirmation here's my current setting: 

• i7 4770k + Corsair H100i 
  • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
  • 16 gigs of G.Skill DD3 RAM (I don't remember the specs and timings)
  • 2x Zotac GTX970 in SLI (To drive 3x 1080 60hz screens in surround - 5940*1080)
  • Corsair 750D case 

Swap those 2 Zotac for a single MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X. Yay or Nay?.