MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X Issues, here we go...

IcEWoLF
7 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Just about any other card will have coil whine. And since coil whine is more common in maxwell. Pascal will very likely have coil whine as well. 

Sometimes its also a combination of high end psus. There's nothing wrong if your card whines. I don't get why you're so worked up.

Paying $700+ for a video card one would expect a perfect card, not something cheaply made.

11 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Paying $700+ for a video card one would expect a perfect card, not something cheaply made.

You'd be surprised to know that even Kingpin/HOF cards can also coil whine. Having coil whine doesn't only mean low quality components are used. Many high end cards are more prone to coil whine 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Here's a 980 Ti G1 having coil whine 

A Lightning having alil bit lesser coil whine

980 AMP Extreme Coil whine 

Evga 980 Ti Coil whine 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Ah coil whine/buzz (as I call it).

I first experienced this when I upgraded from a GTX670 to a GTX780ti, I had multiple brands all did it (eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Galaxy), finally when the GTX980 came out I thought that I could buy on of them and they wouldn't suffer from it, well all my GTX980's had coil whine, the Gigabyte Windforce was the worst.

So when the GTX980ti came out I upgraded to one of them, the first 2 I had (both Gigabyte) had coil whine my wife could hear on the other side of the room, ended up getting (strangely enough) a MSI GTX980ti Gaming, it had no coil whine, just really sucky temps, swapped it out for a eVGA GTX980ti Hybrid which again had no coil whine.

So basically after 7 cards from different manufactures I finally got one that doesn't have coil whine.

It's not just MSI, any cards can suffer from it, it's the main reason I wait before buying new GPU's now, not on release date. :-)

Here's a few I recorded over the time (it's a playlist):

10 minutes ago, Schoolofmonkey said:

Ah coil whine/buzz (as I call it).

I first experienced this when I upgraded from a GTX670 to a GTX780ti, I had multiple brands all did it (eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Galaxy), finally when the GTX980 came out I thought that I could buy on of them and they wouldn't suffer from it, well all my GTX980's had coil whine, the Gigabyte Windforce was the worst.

So when the GTX980ti came out I upgraded to one of them, the first 2 I had (both Gigabyte) had coil whine my wife could hear on the other side of the room, ended up getting (strangely enough) a MSI GTX980ti Gaming, it had no coil whine, just really sucky temps, swapped it out for a eVGA GTX980ti Hybrid which again had no coil whine.

So basically after 7 cards from different manufactures I finally got one that doesn't have coil whine.

It's not just MSI, any cards can suffer from it, it's the main reason I wait before buying new GPU's now, not on release date. :-)

Here's a few I recorded over the time (it's a playlist):

Ouch, that sucks :/

2 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

Just because it has coil whine doesnt mean it's cheaply made lol. 

It can be a combination of many things.  Unless it's completely unbearable, just deal with it.  It doesn't hurt anything.  Out of the 20+ gpus I've owned, I think only a few didn't whine. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Ended up doing rma, its a shame because its a really nice looking card, hopefully I will get back the replacement soon...but who knows :/

@Laysunfortunately for me it was, since I run a super quiet system the card buzzing noise even with headsets can be heared. During game play I could hear it...anything that required demanding graphics basically it buzzed.

I really hope the MSI 1070 won't be the same. Maybe I'll just go with Asus or Gigabyte :/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

1 minute ago, Kratzos said:

I really hope the MSI 1070 won't be the same. Maybe I'll just go with Asus or Gigabyte :/ 

Well some people claim no coil whine, and some do. I guess this is a lottery too.

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

I don't hear it, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Unfortunately I can't help you with that, not an ear Doctor.

1 hour ago, IcEWoLF said:

Unfortunately I can't help you with that, not an ear Doctor.

No it's not that, I don't think it's a problem. Or maybe not as much of a problem as it may seem.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

It seems more and more manufactures are hit this gen with coil whine.

looks like there are even more reports of the gigabyte g1 having terrible coil whine.

All these advancements in technology over the years and we still have coil whine. FeelsBadMan.

Sorry while this may annoy you I have heard 1000% worse on more recent cards e.g r9 nano. if u can RMA then by all means try but for me this isn't bad enough too warrant an RMA. However we all have different expectations from our purchases.

You guys are crazy, I didn't hear anything annoying in any of the videos but Alpha's.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The one I linked too was easily one of the worst, but the guy that owned a bunch of the cards hard some bad coil whines too... The really high pitched whine is the kind I couldn't deal with. Some just sound like a mild buzz that I could barely hear.

The OP's 1080 sounded fine in comparison and I think he should have kept it awhile seeing as how rare getting a 1080 is right now. Instead of RMA'ing it , heck he could have sold it for a profit, lol.

3 hours ago, alphaproject said:

The one I linked too was easily one of the worst, but the guy that owned a bunch of the cards hard some bad coil whines too... The really high pitched whine is the kind I couldn't deal with. Some just sound like a mild buzz that I could barely hear.

The OP's 1080 sounded fine in comparison and I think he should have kept it awhile seeing as how rare getting a 1080 is right now. Instead of RMA'ing it , heck he could have sold it for a profit, lol.

I could have, but didn't want a card that made coil whine noises that was open box to be sold to someone and then them complaining and returning the card...just too much hassle to go through.

Its fine now, I  have the Gigabyte 1080 GTX Xtreme on the way on Tuesday...praying it doesn't have coil whine, but if it does I will just have to deal with it...

Ohh the GTX Xtreme edition huh...  That one looks tight but with 3 fans I bet it's loud. Either way, how much did it end up costing in US price?

Good luck man. At least you got ahold of one.

Many people right now are just forced to watch the prices hiked up for no reason.

The 1070 is even worse. They are costing what the "cheap" 1080 cards were supposed to be. It's ridiculous.

I've seen the MSI 1070 Armor on ebay for a decent price...close to the FE cards but it's still more than it should be. It's not the "bargain" that was expected.

Can't the coil whine disappear after using the GPU for a while (maybe days) under high loads?

I think I read this somewhere and the GPU just had to "warm up".

17 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Ohh the GTX Xtreme edition huh...  That one looks tight but with 3 fans I bet it's loud. Either way, how much did it end up costing in US price?

Good luck man. At least you got ahold of one.

Many people right now are just forced to watch the prices hiked up for no reason.

The 1070 is even worse. They are costing what the "cheap" 1080 cards were supposed to be. It's ridiculous.

I've seen the MSI 1070 Armor on ebay for a decent price...close to the FE cards but it's still more than it should be. It's not the "bargain" that was expected.

$700 US, its $20 cheaper than the MSI card.

Not much to right home about, but it does have a HB SLI bridge & a VR kit.

I don't see myself doing much of  VR and probably won't SLI, I will probably end up selling the SLI Bridge on eBay...its a nice bridge since its full rbg. But I have no use for it since I won't SLI...unless santa gives me a 2nd card for free lol.

2 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

Can't the coil whine disappear after using the GPU for a while (maybe days) under high loads?

I think I read this somewhere and the GPU just had to "warm up".

I have read some people talking about this, some say it works and some say it doesn't.

ok please educate me wtf is causing these coil whine issues ? also ive never experienced it or know anyone that has. hopefully the 1080 hybird hasnt got it (iff they ever reeleased it ) :(

1 hour ago, RNGesusHatesMe said:

ok please educate me wtf is causing these coil whine issues ? also ive never experienced it or know anyone that has. hopefully the 1080 hybird hasnt got it (iff they ever reeleased it ) :(

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ