losing bluetooth and WiFi range

Aphexx

Hey all, I don't "phone" much but I picked up a cheap asus Zenfone for on the go etc. 

the main thing I use my phone for is pairing it with my bluetooth headphones and listening to podcasts or my weekend routine is to listen to longform youtube podcasts on my blutooth headphones 

but since last night my bluetooth range has become horrible I used to be able to leave my phone upstairs and still listen to it via bluetooth headphones downstairs or if I leave it on a charger while working on my car in the front yard and going to the backyard to pick up a tool or something it would still be in range. since last night the phone would cut out even when left in my jeans pocket. this is the same with all my bluetooth audio devices. 

my WiFi antennae has also experienced a reduction in range. I used to have no problems with my WiFi router being upstairs and getting reception downstairs or even out in the driveway. today I can't get any WiFi outside the room the router is in. 

I tried updating the system but it automatically updated 2 weeks ago the build is ASUS_Z00A-2.20.40.284_20160504_4658_ 

I put it into airplane mode using only the bluetooth or using only the wifi and the range is still terrible. 

is the antennae going down like this a software thing or did I physically damage this thing?

thanks in advance