Gaming & Video Editing Machine! First Build!

MasonK

Hey everyone, 

So I finally decided that I would like to step into the world of PC gaming and have a powerful desktop setup that can also be used for video editing and daily productivity. I have never built a PC before but have done research on it for the past month or so and need some feedback before I decide to purchase these parts. There are two parts I need help choosing, which are the CPU cooler and the network card. I also was wondering what tools I may need when I build the pc and if you think that any of the parts, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc could be replaced with better options and if so, feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Oops! Here is the link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mxJkLD

Looks good. For cpu cooler if you don't plan to overclock a lot go with a hyper 212, if you do look at something like a h100i. For network card the mobo comes with one thats more than good enough.

For tools you don't need anything other than a phlips head screwdriver.

1. Any overclocking?

2. I can't recommend Razer peripherals, I've owned multiple and have the right to say they are not worth your money.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1. Don't forget a CPU cooler
  2. Do you really need a founders card? An aftermarket cooler preforms better and is usually less expensive
  3. Do you really need the PRO version of windows? The Home version is fine for most people.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

This is a bit I pulled off of an article on windows 10 vs windows 10 pro, it may save a few $ unless u need that stuff :)

Microsoft is offering a like-to-like upgrade scheme for Windows 10. This means you can't decide which version you want during the upgrade. We’ll explain the difference between the versions so you’ll know which one you’ll get if you're elegible for the free upgrade in our Windows 10 Home vs Pro comparison.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro: summary of differences

Home

Pro

Join a domain

No

Yes

BitLocker

No

Yes

Group policy management

No

Yes

Remote Desktop

No

Yes

Client Hyper-V

No

Yes

Assigned Access

No

Yes

Enterprise Mode Internet Explorer

No

Yes

Windows Store for Business

No

Yes

Trusted Boot

No

Yes

Windows Update for Business

No

Yes

If most of these are meaningless to you, that's no surprise, and it means that most people don't need the extra features in Windows 10 Pro.

Other than that I think it's a good build apart from a few things others have already mentioned.

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Looks good. For cpu cooler if you don't plan to overclock a lot go with a hyper 212, if you do look at something like a h100i. For network card the mobo comes with one thats more than good enough.

For tools you don't need anything other than a phlips head screwdriver.

The network card that you are talking about (mobo) I can't seem to find. Ok, so I'll just need my philips head screwdriver which I already have.

32 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

1. Any overclocking?

2. I can't recommend Razer peripherals, I've owned multiple and have the right to say they are not worth your money.

1. I have no clue how to overclock so...

2. I'm looking into other options right now, if you have any recommendations let me know.

30 minutes ago, GetShrektMrKrabs said:

What do you plan on storing on that 4TB drive? Seems like overkill to me.

A ton of PSD's, graphics, videos, and of course games (which I don't have any yet) that I have sitting on a few external hardrives (a total of 1tb).

1 hour ago, HPWebcamAble said:
  1. Don't forget a CPU cooler
  2. Do you really need a founders card? An aftermarket cooler preforms better and is usually less expensive
  3. Do you really need the PRO version of windows? The Home version is fine for most people.

1.Yep, going to take a look at one of @Electronics Wizardy suggestions.

2. I already bought one from Nvidia, probably not the best decision now that I look at it, but I have been saving 3k for the past 3.5 years for a new mac, but am instead using it on this desktop.

3. We had a spare one at our office so it was almost "free".

Would anyone suggest that I look into overclocking? As I am looking at both fan options mentioned above and wondering if I should just buy the corsair so that I can overclock in the future and not have to worry about heat.

Edit: Decided to switch out the 4tb for the 2tb WD Blue, seeing I can always upgrade in the future.

Edit 2: Also what cables will I need, if any? What is the best cable solution for my displays/video card?

49 minutes ago, MasonK said:

Would anyone suggest that I look into overclocking? As I am looking at both fan options mentioned above and wondering if I should just buy the corsair so that I can overclock in the future and not have to worry about heat.

Edit: Decided to switch out the 4tb for the 2tb WD Blue, seeing I can always upgrade in the future.

Just get a BeQuiet! PURE ROCK or a sub $30-$35 Cryorig. They'll let you OC just fine.

As for Peripherals, look into Zowie or Mionix for the mouse, keyboards I like Steelseries and Ducky though Corsair is decent as well.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Just get a BeQuiet! PURE ROCK or a sub $30-$35 Cryorig. They'll let you OC just fine.

Thanks! I added this one to the list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

As for Peripherals, look into Zowie or Mionix for the mouse, keyboards I like Steelseries and Ducky though Corsair is decent as well.

I'll look into them.

Decided to add a Apex 300 and a Rival 100.

So after some more research and looking I will be using the logitech MX master mouse, with the apex 300. I have also added the Edifier R1700BT and the QcK XXL mousepad by steel series to put both the keyboard and mouse on. The only thing I have yet to add and finalize on this list is the network card. If anyone has any suggestions before I plan on ordering these parts next week feel free to let me know.

Here are a few questions that I have regarding building this:

1.Do I need an antistatic mat and/or wristband or is plugging in the power supply and touching it once in a while good enough?

2. Do I need any thermal compounds?

3. Seeing I have two drives when I boot up my windows USB do I just partition both of them?

If there anything else that I should know regarding this build or building a PC please let me know.

Edited by MasonK

Also, on top of the other questions up above are all the cables that I need come with my components?

Sorry to bump the thread again, but is it also okay to use the stock fan in the case?

Just thought I would bump this thread again seeing a lot of people seem to be online now.

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if someone could please answer, as I was planning on ordering the parts this week.