Is G-Sync worth it?

rm -rf
Go to solution Solved by StormEye,

I have upgraded from a regular 60hz monitor to a G-Sync Capable 144hz monitor (actually its 165hz as its overclocked). After experiencing frame matching feature on a monitor, I will not purchase a monitor that does not have this feature in the future.

G-Sync is definitely worth it.

In this day and age, is a G-Sync monitor useful in a GTX 1080Ti build?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, if you want to run in 4K, it certainly will once the FPS starts to droop.

Doesn't tearing only happen when the FPS goes above the Hertz of the monitor? Or is my understanding of tearing completely wrong?

5 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

Doesn't tearing only happen when the FPS goes above the Hertz of the monitor? Or is my understanding of tearing completely wrong?

Tearing happens when the FPS does not match a nice divisible number to the refresh rate. e.g., if you are using a 60Hz monitor, you're going to have tearing unless the frame rate is 30, 15, 7.5, etc. FPS.

Basically what happens in tearing is the GPU swaps the image the display is trying to show in the middle of the refresh cycle with the new frame. The display doesn't obviously start over, it just starts showing the next frame in that position where it left off.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Tearing happens when the FPS does not match a nice divisible number to the refresh rate. e.g., if you are using a 60Hz monitor, you're going to have tearing unless the frame rate is 30, 15, 7.5, etc. FPS.

I'm going to use a 120Hz 1440p or 4k monitor. So it should have G-Sync?

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Basically what happens in tearing is the GPU swaps the image the display is trying to show in the middle of the refresh cycle with the new frame. The display doesn't obviously start over, it just starts showing the next frame where it left off.

^this

4k only runs at 60hz actually

you'd be better with a nice 1440p display or WQHD with like 100 hz for a immersive experience

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

I have upgraded from a regular 60hz monitor to a G-Sync Capable 144hz monitor (actually its 165hz as its overclocked). After experiencing frame matching feature on a monitor, I will not purchase a monitor that does not have this feature in the future.

G-Sync is definitely worth it.