Guide: Add a RESET button to your Dell Optiplex PC!

iamdarkyoshi

Pretty simple guide here. This applies to optiplex towers with those front panel ribbon cable things that don't use a normal front panel header. Mine are from the LGA775 era, and this guide probably applies to more, but I don't own any. Anyway, here is the spot you are looking for, mine was next to the RAM.

IMG_20160609_205527.jpg

Lemme get in a little closer:

IMG_20160609_205520.jpg

See that empty square marked "RST SWH"? 

Pads marked 2 and 4 (alternatively you could use 1 and 3) are where we want to solder wires to.

Find a power button from another confuser and cut the connector off.

14655313998751836319240.jpg

Strip and tin the wires (if you know how to solder, you will know how to do this, so I can't be bothered to get an image)

And solder them to the appropriate pads. Here is an image of a different board where I used yellow and black wires:

IMG_20160609_205815.jpg

And then mount the switch wherever. I can confirm that this does actually reset the board like a normal ATX board does.

what do people still even use reset switches for...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Resetting, obviously.

I use mine quite a lot when I don't want to unplug and replug power...

but..why?

like, when would you ever need to reset a PC

restarting properly from the start menu is the way to do it, and you dont corrupt any files or OS

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

but..why?

like, when would you ever need to reset a PC

restarting properly from the start menu is the way to do it, and you dont corrupt any files or OS

When you are overclocking and your system locks up???

Breaking things 1 day at a time

14 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

When you are overclocking and your system locks up???

and you cant just hold the power button for 5 seconds? that takes too long?

Spoiler

On 6/9/2016 at 10:10 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

And here is where @CalebTheEternal's old RAM ended up. lol

Glad to see it's still going strong. Too bad I don't have time for PCs anymore. Work and Motorcycle are the big things now. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg