Help Connecting PC to HDMI Reciver

Mcmole

So long story short I have just moved and want to use a new sound setup.

I have a dual screen setup PC With a GTX 960, And a Asus Z170-AR motherboard. I'm trying to get the Audio out of my GPU to my Receiver and send the visual signal back to the monitors.

The receiver I have is: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6230_black__u/

Ans this is the IO at the back: FAeW86o.jpg

Here is how I have things connected atm.

HDMI out out GTX 960 into the DVD- HDMI Input on the receiver which then has a HDMI out into the secondary monitor with the speakers inbuilt (which i don't want to use), and a DVI-HDMI cable going from my GPU to my main monitor that does not have speakers.

I can not seem to get the audio coming out of the DVI-HDMI connection to "strip" the audio and for it to be played through the receiver's speakers. It just pass's though and plays on the monitors speakers which sound god awful.

Here is what my Playback devices look like in windows.

hyh3tAb.jpg?1

3keSObd.jpg?1

Any Help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

you usually need to enable some settings in the receiver menu

read the manual of the receiver and you should find it

then disable the speakers on the TV in the TV menu

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just go to PC to DVD IN , then go OUT to TV. Then select source. Should be fairly easy.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

8 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

Just go to PC to DVD IN , then go OUT to TV. Then select source. Should be fairly easy.

Did all that. All I got was the TV/Monitor playing though its own speakers.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

I'm lost in what you are trying to do.  When you go into sound options you should be able to out put sound to receiver,  If you dont try to connect HDMI to tv see if you have sound there.  If you have sound there hook an optic cable from TV to receiver.  Just turn off speakers in TV and use that as switching hub for changing sources.  It will be a pain if want to switch to headphones but not much you can do.

What about using optical to get the Audio out instead of HDMI? I know for a fact my motherboard comes with optical, many motherboards do. Considering Im running a 3rd Gen i5, my hardware is oldish. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

To me this sounds like a weird ARC thing or whatever. Try turning that off in both the TV and receiver.

You might also have connected everything wrong. If i check my audio devices here i see the name of my receiver and not my TV. Which makes me believe you have a cable to your TV from your pc and then an HDMI to your receiver. Which is not going to make things work much better (unless using ARC, which makes it a little better :P).

also

I can not seem to get the audio coming out of the DVI-HDMI connection to "strip" the audio.....

i hope that is a typo cuz DVI can't do audio AT ALL. so if you hear audio coming over that something else is wrong... very wrong lol (unless i'm wrong, but im 99,99% sure im right.)

I have no signature

Dvi can not play audio.

Do you have your souncard from the mobo hooked up to your monitor?

If you do then that is where you are getting audio from.

2 hours ago, Helly said:

To me this sounds like a weird ARC thing or whatever. Try turning that off in both the TV and receiver.

You might also have connected everything wrong. If i check my audio devices here i see the name of my receiver and not my TV. Which makes me believe you have a cable to your TV from your pc and then an HDMI to your receiver. Which is not going to make things work much better (unless using ARC, which makes it a little better :P).

also

i hope that is a typo cuz DVI can't do audio AT ALL. so if you hear audio coming over that something else is wrong... very wrong lol (unless i'm wrong, but im 99,99% sure im right.)

I have 2 monitors. 1 is my main which has no speakers inbuilt, and a secondary which has speakers in-built.

The main monitor is the DVI-HDMI connector. And the other which is HDMI-HDMI goes from the GPU, Into the Receiver and then using the "Out" HDMI Goes into the secondary monitor . I want the audio from my secondary monitor to strip the audio from the GPU HDMI and play through the receiver and then send the picture to the secondary monitor.

Hope that makes sense.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

That's the way it's suppose to be and that should just automagically make all the audio come out of the receiver. That's how it always works... with new(er) receivers.

however 1 line on that link you posted explains it.

Separate audio cable required when using HDMI cable for video

It's the last point on the high sound quality list. Looking through the site and checking on the device itself shows me that it's an old receiver. Hadn't even noticed that before. It doesn't support any HD sound formats (DTS-HD and TrueHD) so that point explains it all. You need an Optical or Coax cable for sound. Or, you know, buy a new receiver.

I have no signature