Zalman CNPS2X on an i5 4570

byalexandr

Being the SFF guy, I need a small case for my (soon to be) GTX 1070. So I decided to make my own version of that Steam Machine prototype from a couple years back. Well one thing is that I need to have an extremely (extremely) low profile CPU cooler, as there is not much space between the CPU and where the SSD sits:

2016-06-08.png

But one plus is that the CPU has pretty much all the airflow it needs, once the chassis is sealed up:

2016-06-08 (1).png

But that also means it pretty much needs to move air on it's own, as there are no fans in this chassis besides the one included in the PSU and GPU, as well as the CPU cooler.

So I've been looking at coolers to use, and in the actual Steam Machine prototype, it uses a Zalman CNPS2X. Not only that, it uses it on an i5 4570, which I just so happen to have. So I'm wondering, since I can't find many reviews on the product, will it be sufficient for the CPU? I'm kind of picky in the sense that I not only don't want it to thermal throttle but I want to at least stay under 60C as to prolong the life of my chip. And I can't move the SSD anywhere else in the case, believe me I'd try to (and I have) but that spot right there above the motherboard is the only place it remotely works.

But I don't really see any other options, maybe the NH-L9i from Noctua, but even that may be too tall as to interfere with the SSD mounting. Any thoughts on the cooler and/or ideas on what else I can use?

P.S. Not bad so far though, around 5.9L in size :D 

Take that 10L+ Node 202!

Thanks, @byalexandr

Why not just stick with the stock cooler? 

60c is excessively low unless you plan to use the cpu for 10-20 years. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why not just stick with the stock cooler? 

60c is excessively low unless you plan to use the cpu for 10-20 years. 

Stock cooler is too tall.

Well I just don't want it to thermal throttle then. Do you think the CNPS2X can handle that? I mean it does have decent ventilation but it has to move the air on its own.

10 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Stock cooler is too tall.

Well I just don't want it to thermal throttle then. Do you think the CNPS2X can handle that? I mean it does have decent ventilation but it has to move the air on its own.

It can probably keep the cpu below 85c and from throttling but don't expect any spectacularly low temps.

How much clearance do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

35 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It can probably keep the cpu below 85c and from throttling but don't expect any spectacularly low temps.

How much clearance do you have?

Less than 40mm I'd say. I may be able to squeeze in an NH-L9i but I it'd be cutting it too close.