dead wd WD1600U017-005

Alex_007

my wd harddrive randomly died on me, but unfortunately I have no idea what to do. Please help me!

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to retrieve any of the data on the drive, you can try the freezer method:

If that doesn't work, you'll have to pay big bucks to have a data recovery company work on it.

You'll also want to buy a new HDD probably

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Seeing things like this always makes me want to backup my data, but I forget to.

Good luck on trying to recover your stuff.

34 minutes ago, g12601 said:

Seeing things like this always makes me want to backup my data, but I forget to.

Good luck on trying to recover your stuff.

This is the reason I have CrashPlan

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

6 hours ago, Alex_007 said:

~snip~

Hey there Alex_007 :) Welcome to the community! 

Is the drive that you are referring to still in the enclosure? How did the drive fail? Is it recognized anywhere (BIOS, Device Manager, Disk Management, File Explorer)?

I would first check if the drive is visible at all in the BIOS as a model and capacity.

I would also check how is the drive recognized (if at all) in the Device Manager.

Then it would be a good idea to see if the drive is visible at all and how in the Disk Management.

Trying other cables and ports and possibly other systems may be a good idea as you can exclude the connection itself as the possible cause of the situation. 

Post back with some test results! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks captian_wd

it is found in device setup and device manager

On 23.06.2016 г. at 11:06 PM, Alex_007 said:

~snip~

Could you please post screenshot from the way the drive is visible there? Could you share how s the drive recognized in Disk Management (partitions, etc.)?

This may be a driver-related issue, connectivity issue (cable, port, etc.) or something else. The drive hasn't necessarily failed. 

Did you remove the drive from the enclosure?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/