What are some good CPU coolers the same size as an 1151 stock cooler or Cryorig C7?

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

That's not a motherboard thing. Officially, the G3258 only supports up to 1333MHz RAM. You can overclock the G3258 on pretty much anything.

How is it that other Intel CPUs need a Z chipset board to OC but a G3258 doesn't?

According to intel's site the 6700K only supports up to 2133MHz for DDR4 yet you can OC RAM higher than that.  So why would the 6700K be able to OC RAM but the G3258 can't?

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How is it that other Intel CPUs need a Z chipset board to OC but a G3258 doesn't?

According to intel's site the 6700K only supports up to 2133MHz for DDR4 yet you can OC RAM higher than that.  So why would the 6700K be able to OC RAM but the G3258 can't?

Motherboard manufacturers allow for oc'ing with the G3258.

The G3258 can deal with high clocked ram just fine. The lower clock specification is just Intel being cautious and covering their butts.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

39 minutes ago, porina said:

It depends on your needs. I don't think I would recommend either for high performance, but one is very low profile so could be interesting if you need the space. The other seems good for the price but you can do better.

For alternate example, I have three different Noctua coolers on order at the moment (various sizes) to try them out instead. They're not cheap, but I hope they can provide some benefit over a 212 which serves as my reference.

Ok.  Can you list the 3 Noctua coolers so I could take a look at them just in case I'd be interested?

37 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

If you are looking low profile consider the aforementioned Prolimatech Samuel 17 or the AR06 from Silverstone.

Ok.  Thank you you all for the suggestions.

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Motherboard manufacturers allow for oc'ing with the G3258.

The G3258 can deal with high clocked ram just fine. The lower clock specification is just Intel being cautious and covering their butts.

Then why can't I raise the memory multiplier higher than 14?  Something has to be the cause.

19 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Then why can't I raise the memory multiplier higher than 14?  Something has to be the cause.

What memory multiplier?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

39 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ok.  Can you list the 3 Noctua coolers so I could take a look at them just in case I'd be interested?

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d9dx-i4-3u - for a Xeon build I'm doing now so may not be useful generally

http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s - random big cooler

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d9l - short double cooler for a more space constrained build

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What memory multiplier?

Second from the top where it says "System Memory Multiplier".

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Second from the top where it says "System Memory Multiplier".

image.jpeg

Are those the default settings?

If you want the ram to just run at advertised settings, you can just enable xmp.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are those the default settings?

If you want the ram to just run at advertised settings, you can just enable xmp.

Oddly enough yes.  The left 1400MHz shows the system default I believe.  The boxes below "peripherals" show the current settings.  I'm unable to raise the multiplier higher than 14.  

I can try xmp again but I'm pretty sure I already tried that and it didn't work for some reason.  I'm not too worried about it since the computer still runs fine but it's mostly just confusing why it won't go higher than 14.  Idk if it's the motherboard or the CPU.

28 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Oddly enough yes.  The left 1400MHz shows the system default I believe.  The boxes below "peripherals" show the current settings.  I'm unable to raise the multiplier higher than 14.  

I can try xmp again but I'm pretty sure I already tried that and it didn't work for some reason.  I'm not too worried about it since the computer still runs fine but it's mostly just confusing why it won't go higher than 14.  Idk if it's the motherboard or the CPU.

What happens when you enable xmp?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What happens when you enable xmp?

Nothing so far as I can tell.  The memory tab in the task manager as well as CPU-Z both show the RAM is still running at 1400MHz even with XMP enabled.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Nothing so far as I can tell.  The memory tab in the task manager as well as CPU-Z both show the RAM is still running at 1400MHz even with XMP enabled.  

Can you set the memory multiplier to Auto?

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you set the memory multiplier to Auto?

I set it back to auto with XMP enabled but no change.  It has to be either the G3258 having a crap memory controller or the B85 chipset not allowing for RAM OC.