What kind of case pressure will I have?

I am thinking of getting the Corsair H80i liquid cooler and mounting it to the back (or I could choose the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo instead). The H80i comes with 2 SP120 PWM fans.

My case comes with 1 120mm LED fan at the front and 1 120mm at the back, which I would move to the bottom. I am struggling to find out whether the included fans are Air Flow or Static Pressure, I assume AF.

I would like to buy a second LED fan to complete the look of the front, but since it is in front of hard drive bays, I would go with a static pressure fan. Both front fans would be intake. 

I'd also like LEDs on the top so I am thinking of going for 2 air flow quiet edition fans.

So, I am thinking of having 2 led 120mm intake fans in the front, 1 air flow (i think) and 1 static pressure, 2 led 120mm air flow quiet edition exhaust fans in the top, the stock H80i static pressure fans at the back, and 1 120mm air flow (i think) exhaust fan at the bottom.

Is this a good choice or shall I change some of my options? What kind of pressure will this give me - positive, neutral, or negative?

case fans.jpg

case.jpg

h80i.jpg

motherboard.jpg

af120.jpg

sp120.jpg

You dont need that many fans and im guessing slightly negative

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

You dont need that many fans

I know but its kinda mainly for aesthetics, I'd like the LEDs to shine through the front and top.

Just now, Gabby2805 said:

I know but its kinda mainly for aesthetics, I'd like the LEDs to shine through the front and top.

But the noise.. LED strips?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

But the noise..

I suppose that is something to consider, but at least 2 of the fans are 'quiet edition'.

Just now, Gabby2805 said:

I suppose that is something to consider, but at least 2 of the fans are 'quiet edition'.

The corsair quiets arent that quiet.

Hmm, well what would you recommend starting out with then?

8 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

I dont really know of any high quality LED fans

If you wait couple of months,lot of new RGB fans will be released and will also give you time to decide if it's worth it 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

19 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

go noctua and get an led strip instead.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

26 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

1 120mm air flow (i think) exhaust fan at the bottom.

that would kinda defeat the purpose of one of the front intakes, if you want a fan there do intake as well

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

18 hours ago, thekeemo said:

You dont need that many fans and im guessing slightly negative

Need?  No.

Want?  Quite possibly yes.  More fans mean more maximum air volume.  More maximum air volume means better cooling.  More fans also gives you the option of slowing fan speed.  This can be done to control noise, or can also be done ensure that positive pressure is maintained (by slowing exhaust fans.)

Personally I would recommend two SP type fans in the front (140 mm if possible) and a 120 SP type in the bottom, all as intake.  I've also never been impressed with 1x120 AiO rads - for the money there are much better air coolers, and ultimately they have less points of failure (lacking a pump) so in the long run are the better choice.

Use the existing fans in the rear and top (add as necessary to fill spaces)  Exhausts, being unrestricted by filters and such, are the best place for AF type fans.

Once you've got the fans installed use either the UEFI or Speedfan to set fan profiles to maintain adequate cooling along with slightly positive pressure to maximize the benefit of the intake filters.)  

An easy way to check pressure is to get some dry ice from the grocery, drop a chunk in a mug of water, and use the resulting vapor to view airflow at vents and case gaps.

18 hours ago, thekeemo said:

I beg to differ. I have the most basic AF140 QE's possible and they are extremely quiet at ~500-600RPM.

On the note of pressure, you would have fairly negative pressure, which you don't really want. Swap the fan to an intake in the bottom and then you'll be golden.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

22 hours ago, Cyracus said:

that would kinda defeat the purpose of one of the front intakes, if you want a fan there do intake as well

Oh right I didn't know that! Thanks :) I think I'm actually just not going to have a fan at the bottom for now...

3 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Need?  No.

Want?  Quite possibly yes.  More fans mean more maximum air volume.  More maximum air volume means better cooling.  More fans also gives you the option of slowing fan speed.  This can be done to control noise, or can also be done ensure that positive pressure is maintained (by slowing exhaust fans.)

Personally I would recommend two SP type fans in the front (140 mm if possible) and a 120 SP type in the bottom, all as intake.  I've also never been impressed with 1x120 AiO rads - for the money there are much better air coolers, and ultimately they have less points of failure (lacking a pump) so in the long run are the better choice.

Use the existing fans in the rear and top (add as necessary to fill spaces)  Exhausts, being unrestricted by filters and such, are the best place for AF type fans.

Once you've got the fans installed use either the UEFI or Speedfan to set fan profiles to maintain adequate cooling along with slightly positive pressure to maximize the benefit of the intake filters.)  

An easy way to check pressure is to get some dry ice from the grocery, drop a chunk in a mug of water, and use the resulting vapor to view airflow at vents and case gaps.

Thank you for your detailed advice!

I've done some more looking around and although Corsair doesn't state that the H100i is compatible with my case, some people have managed to have it in the same case as me (Corsair Spec-02). I think it depends on the RAM you have, some RAM can obstruct a 240mm rad but I have the Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM and someone who also has this RAM has fit the H100i in too! So I'm going to try it for myself. I'd have it in pull config as Linus himself recommends with the 2 SP120 fans it comes with at the top. If I can't get it to fit in, I'll send it back and just go with a 212 evo for now.

I'm also going to stick with the 2 fans that come with the case, what I assume will be AF120s - 1 intake at the front and 1 exhaust at the back. So I think  I'm just going to buy 1 extra SP120 intake to go in front of the hard drive bays at the front of the case and leave the bottom slot empty for the time being.

Does this sound like a good plan?

3 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I beg to differ. I have the most basic AF140 QE's possible and they are extremely quiet at ~500-600RPM.

On the note of pressure, you would have fairly negative pressure, which you don't really want. Swap the fan to an intake in the bottom and then you'll be golden.

Great! Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Gabby2805 said:

Thank you for your detailed advice!

I've done some more looking around and although Corsair doesn't state that the H100i is compatible with my case, some people have managed to have it in the same case as me (Corsair Spec-02). I think it depends on the RAM you have, some RAM can obstruct a 240mm rad but I have the Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM and someone who also has this RAM has fit the H100i in too! So I'm going to try it for myself. I'd have it in pull config as Linus himself recommends with the 2 SP120 fans it comes with at the top. If I can't get it to fit in, I'll send it back and just go with a 212 evo for now.

I'm also going to stick with the 2 fans that come with the case, what I assume will be AF120s - 1 intake at the front and 1 exhaust at the back. So I think  I'm just going to buy 1 extra SP120 intake to go in front of the hard drive bays at the front of the case and leave the bottom slot empty for the time being.

Does this sound like a good plan?

RAM clearance with an AiO is only a problem if there are RAM slots between the CPU and the rear exhaust.  In your case that should not be an issue.

Otherwise the waterblock is too small to interfere with RAM.

Beyond that your fan choice will either be adequate or a good start.

8 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Corsair's led fans are significantly worse than the normal ringed QE's which are actually good. 

Positive airflow can be achieved by running the fans at different rpm. 

On 6/7/2016 at 4:10 PM, thekeemo said:

They are. 

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

8 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I keep getting them confused with other fans.. ignore what I said.

45 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Corsair's led fans are significantly worse than the normal ringed QE's which are actually good. 

Positive airflow can be achieved by running the fans at different rpm. 

They are. 

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html

Mine are not the ringed ones, just so OP is aware. These are the BASIC ones.

air540_front_open.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Mine are not the ringed ones, just so OP is aware. These are the BASIC ones. 

So you mean AF140L's. 

.. It'd be great if people used model names. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

So you mean AF140L's. 

.. It'd be great if people used model names. 

I honestly didn't think they had some special model name, kay?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler