Good headphones for around $125?

Hi, I'm new here, and I am looking into getting a new pair of headphones, and my budget is around $125.

I currently own a pair of Sony Pulse Elite Wireless headphones, and use them for my PS3, and Razer Kraken Pros for my computer.

My new headset would be primarily for music/Skype while on the go with my iPhone. and occasionally at home on my computer.

I listen to a variety of music, ranging from Rock, Pop, and even a hint of dub step, but very rarely. I am not sure if my choices in music should effect my purchase or not.

I am currently looking into the Audio Technica ATH-WS55i, as I have heard the sound quality is great, and it has volume control as well.

And what do you guys think of the Astro A30? I know, its way out there, and I probably won't get them, but are they any good at all?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Don't buy a "headset" if you're looking for sound quality. For just slightly more than your budget you can grab a full V-Moda solution: V-MODA Crossfade LP + V-MODA BoomPro. The Crossfade LP comes with both a regular cable and a cable with inline mic and one button (sorry no volume control), then just keep the boom pro plugged into your PC and you can swap between devices easily.  :)

Spend a little more and get a set of Beyr Dynamics Custom One Pro's. They're simply amazing.

Those would be good options for me, but they are more than I am able to spend, especially since I am in Canada. (Shipping costs, and such)

Eww Canadian headphone prices.... @Aphexx could help you more on the home front.

I know, right? I hate the prices I have to pay.

Eww Canadian headphone prices.... @Aphexx could help you more on the home front.

ebay and plenty of patience and persistence. 2-3 months of watching got me the ws55 for 50 something including shipping from a japanese seller. the best deal I've ever encountered online was from an ebayer out of edmonton selling dt770's for under $100

I've bought plenty of cheap throwaway items from chinese sellers but have yet to make an audio purchase from a chinese ebayer.  free shipping usually comes from the chinese sources and makes things beyond tempting. if you do buy from a chinese ebayer make sure to spend a lot of time going through their selling history and looking at their seller reviews. 

while I do still stand by my review of the ws55 being better sounding than the athm50 for edm music in terms of bass highs mids soundstage but with jazz instruments, pianos and guitars they fall apart. also the design of the ws55 is very light I wouldn't think of using them as a primary headphone

also for audio deals follow staples office depot very closely. they've had the sony xb for very cheap and had a blow out on the koss tony bennets for under $30 

Audiotechnica makes some of the best headphones around!  If you dont mind a bit more heft in your headphones, I would even suggest the ATH-M50's which have some of the best sound available in any headphones of any price. For your application however, the ws55's are probably a better bet. (plus they look cooler) 

ebay and plenty of patience and persistence. 2-3 months of watching got me the ws55 for 50 something including shipping from a japanese seller. the best deal I've ever encountered online was from an ebayer out of edmonton selling dt770's for under $100

I've bought plenty of cheap throwaway items from chinese sellers but have yet to make an audio purchase from a chinese ebayer.  free shipping usually comes from the chinese sources and makes things beyond tempting. if you do buy from a chinese ebayer make sure to spend a lot of time going through their selling history and looking at their seller reviews. 

while I do still stand by my review of the ws55 being better sounding than the athm50 for edm music in terms of bass highs mids soundstage but with jazz instruments, pianos and guitars they fall apart. also the design of the ws55 is very light I wouldn't think of using them as a primary headphone

also for audio deals follow staples office depot very closely. they've had the sony xb for very cheap and had a blow out on the koss tony bennets for under $30 

Thanks for the help and advice. So, if I were to go with the WS55i, they wouldn't sound very good with lets say, Led Zeppelin, I guess? Would it sound really muddy and noticable? I'm tempted with getting them, or just going straight for the M50's, but it's more than I would like to spend.

Also, how good are the Sony MDR-Z600, and the MDR-V55R?

Thanks for the help and advice. So, if I were to go with the WS55i, they wouldn't sound very good with lets say, Led Zeppelin, I guess? Would it sound really muddy and noticable? I'm tempted with getting them, or just going straight for the M50's, but it's more than I would like to spend.

no, nothing gets muddied on the ws55 its the finer details 

as I said with the piano and the accoustic guitar it just doesn't feel as "stringy" 

listening to both headphones and norah jones. the pianos don't reverb as good and norah's voice is a bit more nasally and less husky or a slight less throaty if that makes any sense. 

that said things change when I listen to anything from suicide sheep the ws55 is way more fun and immersive 

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicideSheeep?feature=g-subs-u

I wonder if the aluminum enclosure on the ws55 creates a colder sound

no, nothing gets muddied on the ws55 its the finer details 

as I said with the piano and the accoustic guitar it just doesn't feel as "stringy" 

listening to both headphones and norah jones. the pianos don't reverb as good and norah's voice is a bit more nasally and less husky or a slight less throaty if that makes any sense. 

that said things change when I listen to anything from suicide sheep the ws55 is way more fun and immersive 

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicideSheeep?feature=g-subs-u

I wonder if the aluminum enclosure on the ws55 creates a colder sound

Wow, I think I've found a new song to listen to. Lol.

What do you think of the Sony MDR-V55?