Which manufacturer for a GTX 780 ?

Wolrajh

Hey,

I plan, along with my new monitors, to upgrade my GPU to run some games on my future 120hz display.

While not really interested by BF4 nor BF3, I do all sorts of games genres, mostly fps, tps and rpg/mmorpg, with the occasional rts, hns or sim. I plan to do crysis 3 one of those days, but I just hate Origin, y'know?

120hz means 1080p max, no surround for now, but I'd like to run the Oculus Rift correctly too, when it's released.

So, at first I'd choose a gainward Phantom GTX 780 Goes Like Hell edition, as I have a Phantom 570 and the silence is very welcome. Also, the Phantom 780GLH is told to have some serious firepower.

It's worth mentioning that I'm absolutely not interested by the aesthetic of the GPU ;)

What brand / model would you go for when buying a GTX 780, and why ?

It seems a lot of people here are running one or two ASUS 780 Direct Cu 2, why is that ?

Also, to run most games at more than 60fps at 1080p, would you say a 780 is overkill anyway and better to get a 690 or 770 ?

Thanks for every input I can get !

Wait for the R9 290X to come out. shouldn't be long, around mid october.
You will get more performance than a Titan, 4GB of memory on a massive 512bit buss, you will get TrueAudio support & Mantle as if that wasn't enough, it's cheaper than the GTX 780.

I like EVGA personally. Or Asus.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Asus DCU II looks beast! But I would wait for the new Radeon Cards. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

You will get more performance than a Titan, 4GB of memory on a massive 512bit buss, you will get TrueAudio support & Mantle as if that wasn't enough, it's cheaper than the GTX 780.

+1 This... totally this!

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

I'm really not interested in the R9, unless maybe it helps drop the prices on the GTX. At any rate, my purchase is not urgent, so maybe by the time I'm ready the R9 will be out.

But in the meantime, what are the Asus DCU2 and the EVGA ( Classified I presume ?) bringing to the table, that most people recommended them ?

Didn't anyone heard about the Gainward Phantom ? It looks like they do not set sell to North America, but since I'm in Europe ... Biggest drawback would be that the GLH edition takes 3 slots, which complicates SLI.

I'm really not interested in the R9, unless maybe it helps drop the prices on the GTX. At any rate, my purchase is not urgent, so maybe by the time I'm ready the R9 will be out.

Any reason why you are not interested in the r9 (supposedly a titan for the price of a 780). I don't really see any unless you are an nvidia fanboy, are looking to water cool and afraid of lack of new blocks, or just really hate the color red 

Bad past experience with the old Radeon, which lead me to getting used to Nvidia drivers and various tools. More a question of habit than a like or dislike. I've been running intel/nvidia for about 8 years, it's just easier for me now.

I also dislike red a lot, yeah, but that's hardly a good enough reason.

I have a EVGA 780, I had a few problems with it in the beginning. But EVGA's customer services help me a ton. They even offered to swap the card for me!  

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

If you really must get a 780 then I'd get the EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

I would go with a EVGA card because I have been using them for my builds and they have been pretty reliable.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Galaxy.

In no particular order, they're all great manufacturers. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

MSi because that is the only manufacturer that I can recommend for GPU's. Get the Lightning version too. 

lightning is a great card but it cost about $100 more than most other 780's.

i'd say EVGA or asus.

i'd wait if your planning on getting a graphics card soon though. amd have some interesting things on offer!

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

But the Lightning cards are well worth the money. I've got two R7970 Lightning Editions and they are amazing!

I agree but just wanted to say so because they may not fit in every budget. 

How u know it's cheaper than a GTX 780..? Has SRP been released..0.O"

It seems suprisingly hard to find a EVGA card around Paris, France. Our Amazon only seems to have the Superclocked one. ( http://www.amazon.fr/EVGA-GTX780-graphique-Geforce-PCI-Express/dp/B00CYIQ00K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380572682&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+gtx+780 )

I guess it's still a valid choice, but I'm surprised no 780 are listed anywhere on our biggest hardware providers products list... Well, it's probably going to be easier to go for the aforementioned Phantom or the Asus. Both are available ( asus at 615€ , Phantom standard at 580€, phantom GLH at 600€ ).

I'm taking the liberty to share a little link I found earlier, which is a nice recap of the various 780s tech : http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1063&page=18

I may be sounding insistent with my Gainward, but since it's not sold in North America, it's possible it's not very well known.

Quick update about the no-EVGA thing at local stores : I asked today why they weren't selling any, and I was answered that there had been too many issues with EVGA products, and as such they chose to stop working with this manufacturer. It looks like the only ways to get one would be either to buy it on Amazon ( I'm really not keen on buying my expensive hardware on Amazon tbh ) or some of the well known shadowy vendors, with no warranty and maybe not even the right product in the package.

In short, no EVGA for us unless you're willing to risk 600+euros.

Leaving Asus and Gainward in the competition. The Gainward GLH has better out-of-the-box performances, it's slightly cheaper, but takes 3 slots. Gainward also has a bad reputation with its customer service. Asus is slightly less powerfull but seems to have better OC capabilities ( I don't know the first thing about OCing to be honest ), and it's got a good CS. Both are said to be quite silent ( slight advantage to the Gainward ).

The MSI lighting is indeed way too expensive for me.

Anyone knows for how long Batman Arkham Origin will be featured as a free game offered with the 780s ? It's virtually a 40euros price drop on the purchase...